Curiousity Treats

Prologue

George Weasley was talking animatedly about the Skiving Snackboxes, his hands flying like bludgers on a windy Thursday. A glint of mischievous smirks here and there, a touch of humor in his eyes when nothing was actually particularly funny.
Fred Weasley, the better half of the identicals (or so he believes), slurped his pudding as he listened. Apparently everyone was oblivious to his surprising lack of interest on the matter at the moment.

"I'm just saying that the snackboxes might sell a little more if they were pocket-sized!" George rambled.

"Then they wouldn't be called 'snackboxes' now, would they?" Lee Jordan, a useful apprentice of the gingers, sighed in dismay. "They would be called the Skiving Pocket-sized Boxes, and does that sound witty? No! I don't think so."

"Fred, what do you think?" George was exasperated.

"I side with justice." Fred lifted another spoonful to his lips. His eyes transfixed on motionless objects (which was seemingly hard to do seeing as everything had a mind of it's own at Hogwarts).

"That would mean my side, wouldn't it? Seeing as I've been sharing your opinion on justice since our days in the womb." A slow grin crept up George's face.

But Fred wasn't listening anymore. A pint of pudding dripped down his robe as a certain young lady spun her head in his direction.

He winked.

Her eyes crinkled in mock excitement.

Then she turned back.

And he looked back down at his pudding. But out of sheer curiousity, he glanced at her through his peripheral vision (a trick mastered throughout the years).

An arm wrapped around her shoulders and caressed the chaos of her hair. Another flame of ginger burried his head into her ear and she laughed. She was sitting across the hall but he heard her just fine. Her laughter was like autumn and cheesecake. Delightful even when you aren't there to experience it firsthand.

And he looked back down. The heat of the world rushing through his veins at startling velocity.

Fred Weasley's pudding was gone. His eyebrows furrowed in slight amazement and partial distress.

Lee Jordan grinned ear to ear. "Funny how you lose certain things when you aren't looking, eh?"

Fred stared at him for quite a while, and soon he chuckled, shaking his own flame of ginger. If only they knew how much he knew. If only she knew as well.
♠ ♠ ♠
Takes place in the 5th book. It gets better, I promise. :) Comments would be delightful!