Status: Active

Cherry Cola

Were not in Kansas anymore Toto

My flight touched ground around 7:30 and I knew my sister wouldn’t be home. She works late at a bar called Sinners & Saints. With the last twenty in my purse I paid a cabman to take me there. I wondered how she’d react to seeing me. Would she even recognize me?
We haven’t spoken in ten years. Because when our father and mother split up, my mother took Megan along with her to New York. I stayed behind with my father. For three or four months we wrote to each other. She wrote to me about the beautiful lights in the city, and how mom got a job in a band. She told me mom was going to be a rock star and that they’d come get me and we could all travel together. But as days passed the letters came later and later until finally I never heard a word from her.
I stared at the wonderful mechanical lights flashing on building sides. The vast amounts of people walking, mostly talking on cellphones but all of them had a lonely look on their face. I laughed as I was thinking to myself. “I think were not in Kansas anymore Toto,”
The cab slowed down and pulled over to a sidewalk out front of a very tall black brick building. Neon lights that read Sinners & Saints reflected onto my door window. I slapped the twenty into my cab drivers hands before getting out of the cab with my tote full of belongings slung over my shoulder. I was frightened that things could go wrong, she may not even want to see me. She could reject me and I would be homeless with no money walking the streets of New York at night. I shivered at the thought.
But then on a more positive side someone once told me you have to lose everything to gain anything bigger then what you thought was everything. But that quote kinda confuses me still..It may confuse you too.
Anyhow I decided the best way to get this over with was not to think about it, and just do it or otherwise I’d be standing outside there in the middle of the sidewalk all night. So I picked up my feet before they rooted there, and without thinking of the possibilities I casually walked inside.
Inside there was a long bar starting from the door to the back of the place. A bar chair was placed every foot or so down the bar. At the end of the bar I could briefly see a stage, and I could hear a live performing band. From where I stood there was numerous tables filled with people getting up to dance or getting a drink.
I was unsure how to find so I walked over to the long bar, taking a seat closest to the bartender. “Excuse me!” I yelped over the loud guitar playing. He didn’t hear me.
“Excuse me!!” I exclaimed, and still no response from the bartender cleaning a few glasses.
Frustrated I balled my fist up and hit the counter with it “EXCUSE ME!” Suddenly the band had finished there song as I yelled. The whole bar turned to look at me. I was highly embarrassed, and with my face red as a beat the bar tender finally came to my assistance.. He was tan with brown eyes, a septum piercing and unruly green hair. His laughter only made me feel worse.
“Can I help you with something? “He smiled more kindly.
First I needed a drink.
“I’d like a glass of orange and vodka.” I told him reaching into my tote for my id and money. He poured my drink meanwhile then I realized that I gave the last of my money to the cab.
My mouth opened in surprise. “I’m so sorry I forgot I have no money!” I said my id slipped out of my hand onto the counter. The bar tender picked it up, and examined it.
He looked back at me and smiled “No worries, you look like you could use it.” He pushed the glass in front of me. “I’ll be right back,” He informed to me walking away from me and through a door behind the counter. I began to wonder what he meant by that.
I sat nervously with my fingers wrapped around my glass. I stared down at it. The glass was sweating and its exterior was ice cold exciting my fingers. I hadn’t had anything to drink since before I left for my flight. I want to gulp it down without taking a breath. But I was kind of afraid too. So cautiously I raised the glass to my lips eyeing the door. I could smell the orange juice, iI could just barely imagine how refreshing it would taste when the door the bar tender went through swung open. Instantly I slammed the glass down. Orange juice splashed all over my hand but I tried to pretend it had not.
The bar tender was standing in the door way speaking to someone behind the wall. His hand was holding the door open. He spoke again telling the person I couldn’t see, something that I also couldn’t hear. He nodded at me and a second head popped out of the door to look at me.
“MELODY!” She screamed. My eyes widened in surprise.