Status: On the go!

Wizards Of The White Tower

THREE

I was expecting wizards.
What I got was Waigens.
A Waigen is a dark wizard, they hold no good magic, no magic for a constructive purpose, only for a destructive. A wizard holds magic for both. I knew that the Waigens weren’t expecting me to be at home, I knew what they were here for. The Waigens break the laws of magic, the third law: Do not kill another with magic. Wizards of the order were given a licence to kill if you like. We were agents of good, our soul purpose was to defeat assholes like the Waigens.

Waigens are created. The leaders, known as the Dark mass, abduct newly born infants at birth and curse them with a dark spell. The Waigens are faithful to their leader. We of the order have always waged war against the Waigens, well as long as I could remember. The Waigens were weak, almost powerless against the real wizards. They were here to get the order on their side. They were here to dig up evidence from my place in order to convict me.

The Waigens cowered back from my staff as I walked toward them. Their faces were lined with scars which were barely visible over the jet black war paint. There were two of them, one of them was out of action, a large splinter about the size and width of my wrist was buried in his chest. Black blood was seeping from his black cloak. I was willing to bet his heart was black too. The female Waigen was still on her feet, she hissed at me.

I brought down the heavy oak of my staff onto her head. She screamed in rage and grasped my neck with her hand. The feeling burned, the skin felt like it was melting away. I roared in anger and punched her hard in the face; she then fell to the floor with an angry rage. I ran my hand over the skin of my neck, almost on impulse. I had dealt with Waigens many times before in my life as an agent of the order, I knew very well that the touch of a Waigen hurts the soul, weakens the soul for a moment.

Magic comes purely from the soul; I don’t think I mentioned that. “Pyrofaxo!” I shouted in anger. A fireball about the size of my balled up fist ventured forth from my staff and caught the Waigan in the chest. She screamed, she screamed so loud. She kneeled on the floor helpless as the fire consumed her. “Why do I always get the crazy Waigen bitches?” I said.
Fear bubbled up inside me. It was possible that the Waigens had made contact with the order before they attempted to raid my home. I had to get out of here.

I ran over to my car and ducked inside before the shooting began. A shady looking coupe had appeared behind my car and the passenger held an assault rifle. I heard my back window shatter as I put the car in gear and accelerated out of trouble. Well... not exactly out of trouble, the car was still chasing me. I threw my staff onto the back seat of the car and swerved into the next street. I was the most wanted wizard alive, just because they had found me standing next to the burning corpses of the entire Governing Order.

The Governing order was a group of three wizards, some of the most powerful wizards in the entire world. I knew the most powerful wizards too, Governing Order weren’t much weaker. I don’t think they’d believe me if I told them that I didn’t remember what had happened until the guards armed with wands ran into the room. I remember the corpses of Blady, Smitze and Wilke, the Governing wizards and I remember that most of the room was on fire. I also remember that my staff was smoking.
No other wizard could use another wizard’s staff. It was fact, it just didn’t work. You carve your own staff when you’re a child, and you stay with it for life, that’s just how it works. It simply wasn’t right to use another staff, the magic that the staff was used to wouldn’t be filed through the old wood. In a way the staffs gets a feel for the wizard and the wizard gets a feel for the staff.

Assault rifles were different though, they could be used by anyone, which made me think that I was dealing with mercenaries. God, the order really wanted me dead.
I wondered whether to turn myself into the order of the white tower. The thought was dismissed as quickly as I had thought of it, it was a stupid idea, they would execute me on the spot, I had ran, there would be no trial if I returned. I swerved and stopped my car. I opened the glove box and took out a .45 magnum and loaded the cylinder with bullets.
I was going to find out for myself what had happened, it was the only way.

I opened the car door as the shady coupe rounded the corner. I pressed my belt and my shield covered my body. I span the magnum around in my fingers cockily and smiled until the assault rifle needed a new magazine. The rifle ran dry and I lowered my shield. I pointed the .45 at the gunner’s head and fired twice. I don’t like killing, I never have and I never will, but when you get a good shot you have to feel just a tad satisfied. When the gunner’s limp body was pulled back into the coupe I raised my shield again just in case the driver tried anything.

I pointed the .45 at the driver and the gun twitched twice to the side, it was my nice little signal to tell the driver to get out or I’d blow his brains half way to hell. The driver took the hint and got out of the car. “Who hired you mercenary?” I asked in my kindest voice. The mercenary flinched as I said it, which was rather insulting. The mercenary began to shake and his breath left him. The mercenary froze and fell to the floor. When I say froze I mean froze. A girl I knew of from previous experience stood behind him giggling as his corpse fell to the floor.

“Wizard Mana, come with me, we have unfinished business” purred the Ice Queen.