Stick it Out

Chapter One;; Rice Bubbles

“I DON’T WANT RICE BUBBLES!” demanded the red-faced seven-year old girl, whom was seated at the wooden dining table.
“I WANT FRUIT LOOPS! I WANT THEM NOW!” she shouted over the banging and crashing of dishes in the sink. She had no intention of giving up, with her hands clamped firmly on her hips, and a frown fixed on her small, round face.
“Look Evangeline, if you don’t eat something we’ll both miss the bus and have to walk”, her brother of fourteen explained calmly. He was used to the breakfast hassle every morning, and he was also used to being half an hour late for school. It was something he’d come to accept, nothing out of the ordinary, nothing new.
“BUT I DON’T LIKE RICE BUBBLES!” she demanded, “I DON’T LIKE THEM, THEODORE!”
The boy sighed, glanced at the dusty clock on the wall, and picked up his schoolbag. Heading towards the kitchen, he picked up his younger sister’s breakfast bowl, tipped it into the kitchen sink, and grabbed a chocolate muffin out of the cupboard.
“Here, I’m not having you bugging me at morning tea”, he grumbled, passing her the muffin, and shooing her out the door in front of him. He’d lost the battle once again, but at least he wouldn’t have to make up another excuse for being late again.