I Could Never Love My Brother's Best Friend, I Hate him.

breaking the news

The silence hung in the air. It was really killing me, but I didn't want to hear what he had to say. I don't think I could bare it. But for some reason, I had to know what he was thinking.

"Say something." I whispered, staring at the ground. He looked up at me surprised, like he had forgotten that I was here.

"You're... pregnant.... with my child... I have no idea what to say." Phoenix said, seeming to swallow a lump in his throat. After I showed Chuck the test, he made me call Phoenix and ask him to come over. Now Phoenix and I were sitting in my room, on my bed.

"Well I could think of a few things I'd like to hear you say." I glared slightly at him. He looked at me with guilt filled eyes.

"Fuck. Teal I'm so sorry. I-I didn't... I mean- I don't know what I mean." He put his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands.

"Yea... I know." I sighed.

"So what are you going to do?" He looked at me with those blue eyes filled with guilt and worry.

"What can I do?" I asked.

"No. Teal, you can't. It's not right." He shook his head.

"Well I can't take care of it Phoenix. I'm only 17. I doubt you want to take care of it either. You have football and this is your year to get a scholarship to UCLA with Shane and River. There's nothing else I can do."

"I'd rather take care of it then let you do that." I could tell he was starting to get mad, but so was I. Why would he be willing to just throw away his entire career?! Ever since I could remember going to UCLA was all Phoenix wanted, and now he was willing to throw it away for this baby?!

"I'm not letting you give up your career for a stupid mistake. There are some good people who can't have children and would be more than happy to adopt this baby!" I Almost yelled at him.

"Wait... adopt? You want to give the baby up for adoption?" He asked.

"Well yea! Why... what'd you think I was talking about?" I asked suspiciously.

"Well... I thought you were thinking of aborting." He said hesitantly.

"Abortion?! Hell no! I'm not fucking cruel!" I yelled at him. Why would he even think that I would do that?! I was against abortion and the thought never even crossed my mind.

"Oh... sorry." He said quietly. He stared at me for a while in silence. The worry was gone from his face but the guilty look was still there.

"Teal, I really am sorry for everything. This is all my fault. I never should have done anything when you were drunk." He shook his head. I nodded my head remembering the flashback I had after I read Jacob's text to Phoenix. I had told him that I wasn't drunk and that I wanted him. It wasn't entirely his fault. Maybe that's why I refuse to tell River what really happened.

"Phoenix-" I was interrupted by the door opening and River walking in my room.

"River." Phoenix and I said jumping up from my bed.

"Is it true?" River asked. I think the question as directed at me, but he was glaring at Phoenix.

"What are you talking about?" I asked confused. River turned to me, but his usual glare that has been on his face lately, was gone. Instead his face was filled with guilt, sorrow, and sympathy.

"Were you really drunk? Did he take advantage of you?" He asked, pain filled his voice. Phoenix and I looked at each other.

"No." I said at the same time Phoenix said the complete opposite.

"Yes." I glared at Phoenix. Why couldn't he just shut up?!

"No, River, it's not true. I wanted it." I argued.

"Teal, just stop. There's no need for him to be mad at you. She was drunk River." Phoenix said. Before I could argue, River punched Phoenix.

"River!" I yelled pushing him away from Phoenix.

"Teal, I deserve it." Phoenix sighed.

"No you don't! River, I may have been drunk but I told him I wanted to!" I yelled.

"Exactly! You didn't know what you were saying! He shouldn't have done it!"

"We can't change what happened River! What's done is done and now Phoenix and I have to accept the consequences!" River stared at me wide eyed.

"What's that mean?" He asked slowly. I looked between River and Phoenix, swallowing the lump in my throat.

"I-I'm pregnant." I answered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment/subscribe