‹ Prequel: Race Against Time

We'll Be Okay

Flashbacks

I wriggled against my bindings, making the chair slam against the floor. There was no way I was getting out of this any time soon. I sighed, thinking back to how I'd gotten myself into the NYPD.
[Flashback~]

I'd shown up to the scene with Jo and walked into the apartment, kit in hand. I looked around the apartment and saw a tall man with dark hair and frost-blue eyes. He was pretty cute, I noticed, but I'd shrugged it off.
"Flack, this is Isabella Pacino, the detective from Wilmington. Show her the ropes and be nice", Jo said to the tall guy. I chuckled.
"Thanks, but I'll be fine. I don't need special treatment just because I'm not from here", I replied.
"Well, Lady Antebellum, I'll need your help with getting witness accounts", Flack said. I rolled my eyes.
"Charming nickname. Which ones have you talked to?" I asked. He pointed to a couple of people and I walked up to a man and identified myself. He was cooperative and I kept glancing at a stray smear by the body. Afterwards, I went to process the stain. Something told me to swab it. I took a Q-tip and took a sample.
"Yo, Lady Antebellum, I think you missed that dust bunny over there", Flack joked. I rolled my eyes again and started listening in on chatter.
"I realized my life hasn't gotten anywhere. I mean, what can I do? I looked in the mirror and there I was", an officer was saying to Flack as I walked by.
"Does that mean there's only two weeks left of autumn?" I said. Flack chuckled and the uniform laughed; he had a sense of humor. I walked towards the closet and someone sprang out of the closet, nearly knocking me over.

'Hell no', I thought. I kicked him in the leg, swung him around by the shirt. He tried to wriggle out of my grip and I kneed him in the stomach and flipped him onto his back. I looked up and studied his face. Not Maxwell.
"Who're you?" I demanded, pinning him down with my foot.
"Hilary's brother", the man replied, dazed. Flack cuffed him and the uniform took him off.
"What is in the water in Wilmington?" he asked, clearly surprised.
"Steroids", I replied dryly. I shook my head, saying something in Gaelic.
"Bhuaigh tú roinnt, caillfidh tú roinnt", I said.
[You win some, you lose some]

Flack's head snapped up.
""Cé mhéad Gaeilge ar eolas agat?" he asked. I shrugged.
[How much Gaelic do you know?]
"Is é mo sheanmháthair na hÉireann. Mhúin sí liom go leor de", I replied. He raised his eyebrows. This guy just got very, very interesting.
[My mother is Irish. She taught me a lot of it]
[End flashback]

I let out a maniacal giggle, on the edge of hysteria. I missed Don, though. I wanted to curl up with him and have him tell me everything was going to be okay. I desperately needed that right now. The ropes binding me to the chair was cutting into my arms as I wriggled. The harsh fibers sawed into my torso. I leaned back, trying to keep my breathing slow. Everything in me told me to try to escape, but right now, all I was achieving was getting myself hurt. I let out a groan as I leaned my head back. Thinking of Don kept the bad thoughts out of my head, as well as the pain. I tried to think of another pleasant memory and our first kiss came to mind.

[MORE FLASHBACK 8D]

I was over at Levi's, scared out of my mind for my brother, Ian. Don had stayed with me, keeping me sane. We were talking about Jasper, my idiotic ex.
"Levi is content as long as I am. I think that's because I'm his little sister. Sarah is scared I'm going to be a spinster with only my dog to keep me company", I said. Don gave me a strange look.
"Girl like you? No way", he disagreed. I rolled my eyes.
"You don't give yourself enough credit", he said. My turn for a strange look.
"I already know I'm a workaholic. My last boyfriend dumped me because he couldn't spend any time with me", I replied dryly. He raised his eyebrow.
"He is an idiot wrapped in a moron", he said. I laughed.
"Someone who understands", I agreed.
"I'm here for you, you know that, right?" he asked. I smiled up at him.
"I'm thankful for that", I replied. I don't think either one of us had noticed we were leaning towards each other, our hands touching. The sound of my phone beeping made both of us jump. I looked at it, my smile growing wider. My brother was going to be okay.

"Ian's breathing on his own, he's going to be okay!" I said, relieved. He looked at the clock, getting up.
"I have to go", he said. I couldn't stop the disappointment clutching my heart. I stood up too, dropping my phone on the floor. We both stooped down to get it, nearly colliding our heads in the process.
"See you in December", I said. He hugged me tightly.
"I'll be awaiting your return", he replied with a smile.
"And thanks for putting up with me. I know I must be difficult", I said, my hand going up to rub the back of my neck.
"Yeah, you're right, what was I thinking?" he teased. I smacked his arm playfully.
"I mean it", I said seriously. I crossed my arms over my chest for effect. Nothing could've prepared me for his next move. He slid an arm around my waist, his other hand cupping my face and tilting my head up. He dipped his head down to meet his lips with mine very gently. I rested my hand on the back of his neck, kissing him back. My insides were melting like butter to the sun. The sound of the back door opening made us break apart quickly.

"Don't mind us", Sarah said, giving me a look.
"Well! I gotta go, I'm not one of the fortunate detectives with their Sundays off", he said, scooting towards the door.
"Thanks for coming over, Don", Levi replied, not taking his eyes off of me. His jaw was tense. Oh, I was in trouble...
[End flashback~]

Sarah was giving me a look.
"Care to share your drugs, Izzy? I need something to get my mind off these ropes", she said, rocking back and forth.
"I'm reminiscing about stuff", I replied, shaking my head.
"Like what?" Sarah asked. I could tell she was desperate to get her mind off of this.
"Don", I replied, feeling my face warm.
"Like when Levi and me walked in on you two before you left New York?" Sarah asked, a little breathless. The ropes were constricting our airways and I wriggled against my ropes again. My hands were tied with zip-ties behind me. I kept quiet as the door opened.
"Isabella and Sarah Pacino", a voice said, as he walked in. I recognized the voice immediately. Teague Williams, one of the Snakebite lackeys.
"Teague Williams", I said, narrowing my eyes. I wasn't scared of him. Never was. I looked at Sarah's hands and noticed they weren't bound with zip-ties. Mine were. I was more of a threat.
"Why don't you take these ropes off and I'll show you just how a Pacino fights?" I snarled.
"See, that's tempting, but my boss would have my ass if you were injured. Because you being in pristine condition and alive is what's keeping the cops outside", Teague replied, tapping my nose. I lashed out, biting his hand. I sank my teeth down harder, trying to draw blood. That earned me a hard slap across the face.

"I'll do way worse, Williams. Better hope I never escape", I threatened, giving a low chuckle.
"We'll see, Pacino", Teague replied, patting my cheek and stepping back. He waved his arm and music started playing. I let out a giggle.
"Sarah, it's our song!" I said, on the edge of hysteria. Sarah laughed. Panic! At the Disco 'Nearly Witches'. Teague's smug smile soured as he heard Sarah and me singing the song at the top of our lungs, giggling in delirium.
"We're getting Shadow's Blade on our radar, Williams!" I heard a female voice call. Kelly Wilkerson.
"Good. Everything's going according to plan", Teague replied. I rolled my eyes.
"Seriously, I can't wait till you get your asses handed to you", I said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Look up that song, by the way. It's AMAZING