‹ Prequel: Race Against Time

We'll Be Okay

Save Me

I slammed my fist into the wall, trying not to go rip apart New York to find her. My girlfriend was being held hostage somewhere, one of my detectives in the hospital and his wife missing. The good news was that Rae and Mariah were safe.
"We got a lead on Isabella and Sarah's location", Mac said, walking in.
"I'm going with you. Get me a Kevlar", I replied, following him out. Danny tossed me a vest and I got into the Buick. If this was real, I wasn't allowed near the suspects. Strictly search and rescue. I gripped the steering wheel tightly, the lights flashing on the top of my car as I followed the Avalanche. We finally pulled up to a warehouse in Williamsburg and I got out, fixing my vest. I looked up at the warehouse and pulled out my gun.

"Be careful on this, Flack. You know what to do", Mac warned me. I nodded and kicked open the door. My job was to find Isabella and Sarah and make sure they weren't hurt. Danny followed me closely. He had flicked on his thermal heat sensor and pointed upwards.
"They're upstairs", Danny whispered. I ran upstairs as quietly as I could and kicked open the door. I saw a man holding a gun to Isabella's head.
"Come any closer and I'll shoot her head off", the man threatened.
"NYPD, lower your weapon!" I said, pointing my gun at him. Danny had done the same.
"I'll blow her head off!" the man yelled. His finger went to the trigger and I took my shot. I pulled my trigger and nailed him in the forehead. I ran to Isabella as soon as the man dropped to the floor. I pulled her knife out of her pocket and slit the ropes. She threw her arms around me, trembling.
"I got you, Izzy", I said, pulling her into my arms. I reached over and cut Sarah's ropes, letting her out.
"Mac, we found them. They're safe, just shaken up", Danny said into the phone. He nodded and hung up.
"They arrested the men they found downstairs", he said. Sarah suddenly let out a shriek.
"Where are my daughters?" she demanded.
"They're at the station, they're okay", I told her. She sank backwards, letting out a shaky breath.
"Thank God", she breathed. I lifted Isabella up into my arms, bridal-style and walked with them downstairs. Right now, I just wanted her as close to me as possible.

"You know they didn't break my legs, right?" she said, looking up at me. I set her into the car with me.
"Yeah, I know. You scared the hell outta me, I wanted to keep you with me", I replied. I kissed her, hearing her let out a squeal.
"Sorry, you don't say stuff like that very often", she said. I kissed her forehead and turned on the car.
"I know and I should", I replied, backing out. She gave me a look before rolling her eyes.
"What?" I asked as we pulled out.
"You look good in a vest", she replied shyly. I chuckled.
"Yeah, it really does impress the ladies", I joked. She rolled her eyes again. I looked over at her and saw her looking out the window. I turned up the radio and heard Isabella softly singing.
"When I'm a fugitive ready to run, all wild-eyed and crazy. No matter where my reckless self takes me, baby you save me", was the song. It reminded me of her. She really did save me. No one had my back like she did. We pulled up to the precinct and I helped her out. She threw her arms around me again in a tight hug.
"Thanks", she said softly.
"I love you", I replied, kissing the top of her head. She murmured an 'I love you too' and pulled away, taking my hand and pulling me into the precinct. I chuckled as Lindsay practically tackled Isabella in a tight hug.
"I'm so glad you're okay!" she breathed. Isabella chuckled, hugging her back.
"I was built tough", she told her, patting her back. I had to talk to Stella. She was the woman whose opinion I held above everyone else's.

"Hey, Stell, can I talk to you?" I asked her. Stella nodded, following me into one of the interrogation rooms.
"I'm thinking about asking Isabella to marry me", I said finally. She gave me a smile.
"That's good, I like her", she replied, hugging me. She then looked at me.
"As long as you marry her before I leave", she said.
"You're leaving in a week, Stell. We can't get a wedding thrown together that amount of time!" I replied. She patted my shoulder.
"You get her to say yes, I'll plan the whole thing", she told me, walking out of interrogation. I walked out in time to see Isabella hopped up into Aria Rossi's arms. The two women had clearly missed each other. I chuckled.
"Hey, I gotta run an errand, I'll be right back", I said, walking out. I pulled out my phone and dialed my dad.
"Hey, son, you off already?" Dad said.
"Nah, I just wanted to ask you something", I replied.
"Well, spit it out, boy", he said.
"I wanted to know if I could get Mom's ring. I'm asking Izzy to marry me", I replied.
"Well, it's about damn time you proposed to that girl. C'mon over and I'll give it to you", he said, hanging up. I chuckled and got into the car. My heart was racing in my chest as I pulled up to the house I'd grown up in. I got out and went inside, taking a deep shaky breath. My dad dropped the box in my hand. I opened it and studied my mother's ring. It'd been in the Flack family for generations. On the underside of the ring, was the sprawling inscription in Latin: Omnia Vincti Amor. It was my grandmother's favorite saying, it meant 'Love conquers all'. I put the ring in my pocket and looked at my dad.

"She'll say yes, Donnie. If the woman has a brain in her head, she'll say yes", Dad told me, clapping my shoulder. I smiled.
"Thanks, Dad", I replied. We talked for a few more minutes before I had to go. I pulled up to the precinct and got out. Stella had gotten everyone up to the lab and that was where I was going to propose to Isabella. I could barely think over the sound of my heart beating wildly in my chest as the elevator pulled up to the 35th floor. I looked for Isabella and saw Stella. She pointed to the break room as I passed.
"Hey, Izzy, can I talk to you really quick?" I asked, leaning against the door frame of the break room. She looked up and nodded.
"Yeah, sure", she replied. I looked around the lab and saw lab techs running around. We walked right in the middle of the lab.
"There's something I've wanted to do for a while", I started to say. She looked up at me, raising an eyebrow. I got down on one knee right in front of her.
"Isabella Rae Pacino, you are the most incredible woman I have ever met in my entire life. The day we met, I knew I wasn't going to be the same and I'm ready to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?" I said. Her eyes were wide. Everyone had stopped what they were doing to watch. Mac had even come out of his office.
"Are you sure? I mean, if you're not sure, we can always do this later", she said.
"It's a yes or no question, Iz", I chuckled.
"Yes!" she replied. I stood up and kissed her. Everyone clapped and cheered. I pulled the ring out of my pocket.

"I kind of forgot about this", I admitted. She opened the box and her eyes bugged.
"It was my mother's", I said, slipping the ring on her finger.
"I love it", she replied.
♠ ♠ ♠
The song mentioned in this chapter is You Save Me by Kenny Chesney C:

http://discountweddingrings.co.cc/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/vintage-diamond-engagement-rings-300x300.jpg

That is also Isabella's ring