‹ Prequel: Race Against Time

We'll Be Okay

The Wedding Part One

It was the day of the wedding and everyone was rushing around. They were getting married at Saint Patrick's Cathedral, with the reception at Olive Garden. Isabella took a deep breath as she stood on the pedestal in the bridal room. Her short hair was curled with the sides pulled back. They had decided last minute to use combs instead of a tiara. They were Marnie's mother's combs used at her wedding. She heard a knock on the door.
"Who is it?" she called.
"It's Mac", a male voice said. She took a deep breath.
"Come on in", she replied. The door opened and her boss stepped in. He took a good look at her and smiled.
"You look beautiful", he told her. She smiled shakily and stepped down.
"Thanks, Mac. It's just so hard to believe I'm getting married today", she replied, hugging him. She'd only worked at the lab for three and a half years, but they had quickly become her second family.

"Hard for me to believe, too. It seems like only yesterday you were visiting from the Wilmington Crime Lab to help us catch a killer", he said. She laughed, slightly hysterical. She wore a tiny bit of makeup, enough to enhance her features.
"I know, it's so weird", she agreed. There was another knock on the door and Mackenzie slipped in.
"Oh, Izzy! You look stunning!" she gushed, hugging her older sister.
"Careful, Kennie. Don't knock me over", Isabella laughed. Sarah and Lindsay were her matrons of honor. They had both deserved it. In return, Don had asked Mac and Danny to be his two best men. Mackenzie wore a pretty dark blue dress that set her skin tone perfectly.
"Sorry, I just had to come and tell you good luck", she said, skittering out of the room.
"I wanted you to have something blue", Mac said, pulling something out of his pocket. It was a pretty white gold choker with light blue stones around it.

"I can't accept that, Mac. It looks so important to you", Isabella said, her eyes filling with tears.
"It is. I wouldn't give this to you if I wasn't sure. It was my wife, Claire's. I know she would've wanted you to have it, I couldn't get it out of my mind last night", he replied, putting it around her neck.
"I have something old", Isabella said, holding up her hand. She gestured to her dress for something new. She brushed her fingers for the borrowed combs over her hair and looked at the choker in the mirror. She hugged Mac again.
"Thank you so much, Mac. For everything. You took a massive chance on me when you hired me. I just hope I haven't made you regret it, ever", she said. He hugged her back.
"You've never made me regret it. You've proved yourself as more than just a CSI, you've proved yourself as a friend, too. Not anyone would take a bullet for someone they barely know", he replied. He stepped back.
"I'm gonna go calm Don. He's just as nervous as you are", he said. She smiled and waved. Her father slipped in.
"Isabella, si guarda bella, angelo", Armando Pacino said softly.
[Isabella, you look beautiful, angel]

"Grazie, papà. Sono così nervoso", Isabella replied.
[Thank you, Daddy. I'm so nervous]
"You should be. It's your wedding day. It seems like only yesterday that you were sitting on the floor, watching Sesame Street. Now, you're getting married", he said. She hugged her father.
"Is it time, Daddy?" she whispered. He nodded. She took her father's arm and waited for the music. She had picked the perfect song for herself and Don. 'God Gave Me You' by Dave Barnes. She stood at the end of the aisle, taking a deep breath. Her father squeezed her hand and stepped down the aisle to the music. Danny tapped Don's shoulder and he turned around. Isabella nearly froze in place when she saw the look on his face, forever embedded in her mind. The look of pure astonishment and love. She smiled when they reached the altar. He looked incredibly handsome in his dress blues.

"Not too late to change your mind", Don whispered in her ear. She swatted him with her bouquet, giggling.
"Not on your life, sport", she promised.
"You look so beautiful", he murmured. She smiled and looked up at the pastor. Don's cousin, Riley was an ordained minister who'd agreed to marry them.
"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today in holy matrimony to bind the two souls you see here before you", Riley Flack said in a clear voice. She could barely keep herself from shaking while he talked.
"These two have chosen to write their own vows and will do so in song", Riley said, nodding to Isabella. She cleared her throat before talking.
"I met Don September 27th, 2011 when I came to New York to work a joint investigation with the NYPD and I have to say, I didn't really like him that much at first. But as the week went on, we'd gotten to be friends and I realized I liked him. We were pulling pranks on each other and he tossed my keys into the precinct pool after I'd gotten him back", she said. Don chuckled, clearly remembering.

"He made me jump into the pool to get them and asked me about something that happened to me that was very tragic and he listened. After I'd left, we'd stayed in touch and I came to New York for Christmas and brought along my twin brother and my little sister and I introduced him to my twin brother, who'd been in a really bad car accident while I was in New York the first time. I realized I'd fallen for him when he spoke to my brother and made him feel normal for once, like he didn't have deep scars on his face for something that he didn't even do. I chose the song 'I Turn To You' for my vow song, because it's true. No matter what I've done in my past, it didn't matter to him. I turned to him and everything was okay again, my life didn't seem so hectic and chaotic", she continued with a shy smile. She looked up at Adam and the slow croons of the song played through the speakers.

When the song was over, she wiped her eyes, chuckling.
♠ ♠ ♠
These are the lyrics to 'God Gave Me You'

I've been a walking heartache
I've made a mess of me
The person that I've been lately
Ain't who I wanna be
But you stayed here beside me
Watch as the storm blows through
And I need you

God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
For when I think I’ve lost my way
There are no words here left to say, it’s true
God gave me you, gave me you.
Gave me you.

There's more here than
What we're seeing
A divine conspiracy
That you an angel lovely
Would somehow fall for me
You'll always be love's great martyr
I'll be the flattered fool
And I need you, yeah

God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
For when I think I’ve lost my way
There are no words here left to say, it’s true
God gave me you, gave me you.
Gave me you.

On my own I’m only
Half of what I could be
I can’t do without you
We are stitched together
And what love has tethered
I pray we never undo

God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
For when I think I’ve lost my way
There are no words here left to say, it’s true
God gave me you, gave me you.
Gave me you.