‹ Prequel: Race Against Time

We'll Be Okay

The Wedding Part Two

Don was pacing around the groom's changing room at Saint Patrick's church. Someone knocked on the door.
"Come in!" he said. Mac stepped in.
"I just saw Isabella", he said. Don's eyes softened.
"She's just as nervous as you are", Mac continued.
"How does she look?" Don asked.
"Beautiful", he replied. "Simply stunning".
"I'm nervous, Mac. I'm scared I'm not going to be the man she needs", Don admitted. Mac clapped him on the shoulder.
"It's not going to be easy. Devoting yourself to one woman, tending to her needs, it's the hardest job in the world. Being a husband and taking care of your wife, it's going to be a hell of a tough job, but it's worth it. Because you're not going to be doing it alone, you're going to have her. Her job is to take care of you and whatever else comes along", he said.
"Yeah, but my biggest fear is that she'll one day wake up and realize she's made some huge mistake, that marrying me wasn't a good idea", Don replied.
"Isabella loves you unconditionally, Don. Her biggest fear is that you don't love her as much", Mac said.
"I love her just as much, Mac", Don replied.
"Then get out there and prove it to the world. Take Isabella Pacino and make her Isabella Flack. You two are going to be fine", the wise older man said. Don nodded and walked to his place. The church was full of people closest to them. It was classy and simple. Even though it had taken them a week to get it all together, it was the wedding of Isabella's dreams. He turned his back to the doors and tried not to faint as the music played. It had been a surprise, the song Isabella was walking down the aisle to. Danny tapped his shoulder and Don turned around.

Absolutely nothing could have prepared him for the sight of Isabella in a wedding dress, walking down the aisle on her father's arm. Mac was right; she was stunning. When her father stepped away from her, Don couldn't take his eyes off of her.
"Not too late to change your mind", he whispered into her ear. She swatted him with her bouquet with a giggle.
"Not on your life, sport", she promised.
"You look so beautiful", he murmured. She smiled shyly and looked up at Riley, their pastor.
"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to bear witness to Donald Joseph Flack Jr and Isabella Rae Pacino in holy matrimony", he said in a clear voice. They were the first couple he'd ever married.
"These two have chosen to write their own vows and will do so in song", Riley said, nodding to Isabella finally. She cleared her throat before speaking.

"I met Don September 27th, 2011 when I came to New York to work a joint investigation with the NYPD and I have to say, I didn't really like him that much at first. But as the week went on, we'd gotten to be friends and I realized I liked him. We were pulling pranks on each other and he tossed my keys into the precinct pool after I'd gotten him back", she said. Don chuckled, remembering that.
"He made me jump into the pool to get them and asked me about something that happened to me that was very tragic and he listened. After I'd left, we'd stayed in touch and I came to New York for Christmas and brought along my twin brother and my little sister and I introduced him to my twin brother, who'd been in a really bad car accident while I was in New York the first time. I realized I'd fallen for him when he spoke to my brother and made him feel normal for once, like he didn't have deep scars on his face for something that he didn't even do. I chose the song 'I Turn To You' for my vow song, because it's true. No matter what I've done in my past, it didn't matter to him. I turned to him and everything was okay again, my life didn't seem so hectic and chaotic", she finished with a shy smile. She looked up at Adam and a slow song started to croon through the speakers. It was all he could do to not kiss her right then.

"Jo actually introduced Isabella and me to each other that day. I thought she'd be some rookie needing help with every little thing, but she eventually proved herself to me. I was talking to one of my uniforms and she popped off a smart remark, something no one ever said to him before and I realized she wasn't that bad. She was meticulous and I liked to tease her about it. I didn't realize I'd gotten myself attached to her until after we'd had our first date and she was about to go undercover to do her job. I'd check the audio every day and when we'd gone in to get the team out of there. I remember sitting with her in the hospital, and I'd found out the hard way that I'd gone and fallen in love with her. She'd taken a bullet for someone she hardly knew, just to make sure she'd get home safe. I chose the song 'I Cross My Heart' for my vow song, because it's also true. I want to be the man she deserves, because no matter what we've done in our lives, we're still together", he said. Isabella smiled up at him.

"Is it your goal to make me cry, Don Flack?" she said, once the song was over and she was wiping her eyes. He chuckled.
"Have you the rings?" Riley asked Maxwell, Isabella's nephew. The little three year old held up the pillow with a big smile.
"Here ya go, mister", Max said. The crowd laughed and one murmured an 'aww'.
"I want you to repeat after me", Riley said to Don and Isabella. He turned to Don and held up the wedding band, holding Isabella's hands in his own.
"I, Donald Joseph Flack Jr, take you, Isabella Rae Pacino", Riley said.
"I, Donald Joseph Flack Jr, take you, Isabella Rae Pacino", Don echoed.
"To be my lawfully wedded wife", the pastor said.
"To be by lawfully wedded wife", he echoed.
"To have and to hold, in sickness and in health", the pastor said.
"To have and to hold, in sickness and in health", he echoed.
"I promise to love, cherish, honor, and protect you", the pastor said.
"I promise to love, cherish, honor, and protect you", he echoed.
"All the days of my life, for richer or poorer, till death do us part", Riley finished.
"All the days of my life, for richer or poorer, till death do us part", Don said. He slid the ring onto Isabella's finger.

"I, Isabella Rae Pacino, take you, Donald Joseph Flack Jr", Riley said. Isabella smiled.
"I, Isabella Rae Pacino, take you, Donald Joseph Flack Jr", she echoed.
"To be my lawfully wedded husband", he said.
"To be my lawfully wedded husband", she repeated.
"To have and to hold, in sickness and in health", he said.
"To have and to hold, in sickness and in health", she repeated.
"I promise to love, cherish, honor, and protect you", he said.
"I promise to love, cherish, honor, and protect you", she parroted.
"All the days of my life, for richer or poorer, till death do us part", he finished.
"All the days of my life, for richer or poorer, till death do us part", she replied. She slid the ring on Don's finger, her fingers shaking.

"These two have agreed to a unity candle and will do so now", Riley said, stepping backwards. Don helped his bride around the altar. Marnie handed Isabella the candle, Don Sr handing Don the candle. Isabella handed Sarah her bouquet. 'Come What May' played over the speakers. It was Isabella's favorite song from Moulin Rouge.
"We're a very music-oriented couple", he said. The crowd chuckled. They lit the candle together and faced the congregation again.
"By the power vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride", Riley said. Don pulled Isabella into his arms and dipped her dramatically, kissing her gently.
"Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. and Mrs. Donald Joseph Flack!" Riley announced. Everyone stood up and clapped.
♠ ♠ ♠
These are the lyrics for I Cross My Heart by George Strait.

Our love is unconditional
We knew it from the start
I see it in your eyes
You can feel it from my heart
From here on after
We'll stay the way we are right now
And share all the love and laughter
That lifetime will allow

I cross my heart
And promise to
Give all I've got to give
To make all your dreams come true
In all the world
You'll never find
A love as true as mine

You'll always be the miracle
That makes my life complete
And as long as there's a breath in me
I'll make yours just as sweet
As we look into the future
It's as far as we can see
So let's make each tomorrow
Be the best
That it can be

I cross my heart
And promise to
Give all I've got to give
To make all your dreams come true
In all the world
You'll never find
A love as true as mine

And if along the way
We find a day
It starts to storm
You've got the promise of my love
To keep you warm

In all the world
You'll never find
A love as true as mine
A love as true as mine