‹ Prequel: Race Against Time

We'll Be Okay

I Need You Now

I curled up on my bed with Boomer and finally let the tears I'd been holding all day flow. After a minute, I sat up and wiped my eyes. I did what any woman my age did. I pulled out my phone and called my best friend.
"Hey, Izzy Rae", she greeted me. I let out a moan.
"I broke up with Don several days ago, I need to complain to someone", I said.
"How long ago are we talking?" she asked.
"A week", I admitted.
"What the hell possessed you to do that?" Sarah demanded. She was mine and Don's biggest supporter. Our celebrity nickname was 'Flacino', combining Flack and Pacino.
"I got in a fight and Don blamed me for it. He dragged me into interrogation and didn't listen to a word I'd had to say and I'd had it", I replied. Boomer rested his head on my stomach and I stroked his soft ears.
"Wait, you finally hit Suarez? Good for you!" Sarah said. Suarez kept making trouble for everyone. No one really liked her.
"Well, she shoved me. I decked her and we got into it", I replied.
"Oh well, you still decked her", she said.
"Only three people stood up for me, I'm mad at your husband. He didn't stand up for me. The only people who stood up for me was Mac, Ariel, and Don", I replied.
"So he stood up for you and you're not going to ask him back?" Sarah asked.
"I can't just ask him back if I just broke up with him, dumbass", I retorted.
"You two are perfect for each other. Just shut up and admit it already", she said.
"If he can't trust my word, there's no future", I replied.
"Well, you don't trust him all the time. Does he know about Ethan?" Sarah asked.
"No, he doesn't. That's one thing I absolutely cannot tell him", I replied.
"Are you going to tell him about what almost was?" she asked.
"Not for awhile. I want to get the fight sorted out", I replied.

"You need to tell him. It was major", she said. I sighed.
"I know, I know. You going to the picnic tomorrow?" I asked. Tomorrow was the annual picnic. Precinct 5-5 against FDNY.
"Yeah, you?" she said. Don and I had decided to go, to see if there was still a chance for us.
"Yeah, I'm going. What're you gonna wear?" I said.
"Jeans. I learned my lesson last year about wearing a dress", Sarah replied. I chuckled, curling up in a ball.
"I'm wearing shorts. And I'm gonna look way hot", I said.
"You gonna bring sexy back, Lady Marmalade?" she teased. It was our joke. Whenever we put a lot of effort into our look, we'd say that to each other.
"Hell yes, I am. I got the perfect shorts for it too", I replied.
"You're going to kill him, you know that?" she said.
"Let's hope so. How are the girls?" I asked.
"Rae's sleeping, Mariah's trying to get into the cookies. Same old, same old", she replied. After a bit, we hung up. I sat down on my floor and looked at the pictures of us on my phone. This was killing me.
[Picture perfect memories scattered all around the floor]

I looked at my phone. No missed calls or texts. I couldn't do this.
[Reaching for the phone 'cause I can't fight it anymore]

Was he thinking about me? I know I was thinking about him. That was all I'd been doing at the lab. Lindsay kept having to snap her fingers to get me to talk to her and pay attention.
[And I wonder if I ever cross your mind? For me, it happens all the time]

I looked at the time on my phone. It was 1:15 am. No one in my place but me and Boomer. It'd taken me this long, but I needed him.
[It's a quarter after one, I'm all alone and I need you now]

I had refused to call him, but this was out of my control now. I wanted him and I needed him. I'd never been clingy, but this breakup was killing me.
[Said I wouldn't call, but I've lost all control and I need you now]

I curled my knees to my chest. I didn't know what I was going to do. Randomly wanting him. I wanted him to tell me it was going to be okay and he forgave me. I had to resist.
[And I don't know how I can do without, I just need you now]

(Flack's point of view ;D)

I took another shot of whiskey and slammed my shot glass down. I couldn't stop looking at the door of Sullivan's. It was my second night of drinking since Isabella had broken up with me at work, in the interrogation room. I wanted to see her breeze in, with that beautiful smile of hers.
[Another shot of whiskey, can't stop looking at the door. Wishing you'd come sweeping in the way you did before]

Was she thinking about me? I sure as hell was thinking about her. I hadn't stopped.
[And I wonder if I ever cross your mind? For me, it happens all the time]

I looked at the time on my watch. 1:15 am. I felt the buzz of whiskey and tequila hum through my body. Usually, I would try to pick someone up. The leggy brunette giving me bedroom eyes from across the bar. wasn't doing me any favors.
[It's a quarter after one, I'm a little drunk and I need you now]

I was going to resist calling her. I don't remember wanting her so badly before, though. I was losing control fast.
[Said I wouldn't call but I've lost all control and I need you now]

How could I cope with not having her with me? It was like half my heart was ripped out of me. Isabella was stubborn, it was true. And short-tempered. She was also understanding.
[And I don't know how I can do without, I just need you now]

(Bird's eye view)

Isabella had grabbed her jacket and left her apartment. She needed to see him, she knew that now. Pain was nothing new to her, but numbness scared her. Don stumbled out of the bar, looking up at the sky and feeling more pain than if someone had shot him.
[Guess I'd rather hurt than feel nothing at all]

Isabella trudged through the rain, looking up at the sky. She'd never seen New York stars. She remembered her mission and walked through the New York traffic, dodging New Yorkers as she went.
[It's a quarter after one, I'm all alone and I need you now]

Don pulled out his phone. He had to see her. Now.
[And I said I wouldn't call, but I'm a little drunk and I need you now]

Isabella pulled out her jacket closer as she walked. She'd been able to shake the emotions off of her and she fought the tears in her eyes. She bumped into someone and tumbled onto the ground, her hood flying off. She looked up into the drunk eyes of Don. He helped her up.
"Sorry, Izzy", he said. She could tell he was buzzed.
[And I don't know how I can do without, I just need you now, I just need you now]

Don hadn't readied himself to see Isabella yet. After he'd helped her up, she grabbed his face and yanked his head down to kiss him. He pressed his hands to her back, pulling her close. Her hands pressed to his face and he breathed in her cinnamon and mint breath.
[Oh baby, I need you now]
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me what you think CCCC: I loved writing this, I was like: AWWWWWWW!