Status: Active

In The Nightmare Of Your Heart

Like Ice

We walked a ways into the castle and I wondered where Hermione was taking me. It was a pleasant walk though, we talked the whole way about things I needed to know about Hogwarts and how the school ran. She told me about students, teachers, houses, Quidditch, and classes. She talked animatedly about each class, using mad hand gestures, and I could immediately tell she was one of those students who actually studied, got perfect grades, and stressed out over every assignment. She explained the four different houses of Hogwarts, and showed much love for the house of Gryffindor, which I found out they all were from. I could also tell she held much resentment toward the house of Slytherin. The boys were a bit behind us, talking quietly amongst themselves. I looked back every so often to observe these new friends of mine.

The castle was quiet and dark, not quite alive yet. And even though fire was alight on the candles and torches placed on the wall, the castle still had a cold atmosphere. I couldn't tell if anyone else felt it but me, and I didn't know if it was just because I've never been in a castle before and this was how it was generally. Not only that, but I constantly felt like I was being watched. I knew that even if I was walking these halls alone, I would have a sense that I wasn't completely alone. Everything was so new to me, and I wondered if those feelings would go away and I would be able to be comfortable around here. Only time would tell.

"We're almost there; it's just around the corner here," Hermione interrupted my thoughts, and I was glad that she did.

I heard footsteps and from around the corner, a group of three boys emerged. The first one who was in-front of the other two, the obvious leader, caught my eye. He was tall, pale, and had pale blond hair. Everyone instantaneously stopped talking, and all I could hear was the clicking of shoes and the sound of hatred. I looked at the boy as he walked by and he met my gaze, which went unbroken. They say you can see a person's soul through their eyes, and at first glance I could see that his soul was just as icy as those eyes. We looked away from each other and kept walking like how we were before. No one spoke until we turned the corner and made sure we were out of earshot.

"Who was that?" I asked about the boy, not concerned with the other two boys following him.

Hermione rolled her eyes and her mouth came open, going to say something but Ron interjected. "Draco Malfoy . ." He said callously. I slowed my pace and looked back at the boys, waiting for more information. By the way their voices sounded and how they acted, I could tell they would have quite a bit to say about this boy. We all stopped in the middle of the hallway for a minute so that they could tell me about Draco Malfoy.

"He's bad news, Aidyn. Don't associate or go around him." Harry spoke up, his tone hard. The other two nodded and Ron added, "He works for You-Know-Who. He's a bloody Death Eater."

Hermione smacked Ron's shoulder rather hard, as he rubbed it. "Ouch!" He hollered, as they glared each other down.

"You-Know-Who? Death Eaters?" I questioned, looking at Harry. He inhaled deeply and as he was about to say something, Hermione grabbed my arm rather roughly. "She has the rest of the year to learn about everything. She'll know sooner or later about You-Know-Who and Death Eaters. Hell, you can't get away from it here. Right now, she has to get her robes on so we won't be late to the feast. We'll be right back," and she dragged me off with her. We came up to a door and she pushed it open hard, and I could tell she was a little upset over something.

We walked into the grand restroom and I was amazed by it. There were high ceilings where large white lights were suspended, the walls were lustrously black and as you got closer you could see just how many colors sparkled in the light. Stalls lined the walls and in the middle was this fountain-like sink with four large animals magnificently carved into it. The animals were a lion, a badger, an eagle and a snake. Below each animal, words were carved as well. Words like 'brave', 'intelligent', 'cunning', 'patient,' and many others. The animals were the symbols of the four houses at Hogwarts and the words were used to describe the characteristics of each.

"Aidyn," Hermione pulled on my arm, since I stopped at the breath-taking view. She pulled out her wand and waved it in the air, muttering something under her breath. In an instant, a black robe appeared slung over her forearm. "Here," she smiled as she handed me the robe. "Go in the stall and change," she ordered. I nodded in response and walked into the closest stall near me.

I unbuttoned and unzipped my jeans, sliding them off. Then I pulled off my top. I pulled the robe over my head and was pleased to see that it fit quite perfectly and the freedom that I felt from getting out of jeans - I could not put into words. I opened the stall up and walked out, every little sound echoing through the large room. Hermione smiled, "Great! Now, let's go to the feast! My, you still have to get sorted. We best hurry."