Status: Hiatus; current writers block.

The girl who cried "Wolf!"

01

I crouched down beside the large tree, sniffing the air for the intruder. A few members of the pack were scattered around me, hiding and trying to sniff out the intruder. Unlike normal Foxes, we’re large and live like other canidae species in a pack, with Alphas. We’re the last pack of Werefoxes left; all of the others had perished over the years, the species depended on our survival. We’ve realised we must be vicious, killing anyone who threatens our way of life.
After a few minutes of being on edge, I finally catch a whiff of the intruder. Raising my hackles I crawl forward, towards the sent. Slowly moving, the sent gets stronger, I start preparing myself to pounce. I breathe in once, counting back from 5.
4, 3, 2, 1. I pounce, snarling loudly and landing on the intruder. As I’m moving for the kill, I notice it’s a small brown Wolf. A pup, to be exact. My pack moves towards the noise.
“Halt!” I bark, “It’s a Wolf pup, a Werewolf pup to be exact.”
“Kill it!” I hear one of them snarl.
“We can’t kill it, that would provoke war. Something we will never be prepared for.” I scramble off the small Wolf, shifting back to human form. Wincing at the feeling of bones snapping and reforming.
“What are you doing, Crevayne? Don’t let it know there’s Werefoxes out here!” I look behind me, snarling.
“I know what I’m doing, stay calm, Nesis.” I pick the pup up, “It’s okay little one, we’re not going to hurt you. Can you shift to human form for me, so I can speak to you?” The pup looks up at me, whining. “I promise, we only need you to tell us where you’re from, so we may take you back there.”
Watching the small animal shift in my arms was amazing; I’d only ever seen my pack do it. So it was rather fascinating. “I’m from the pack outside of the town near here. I couldn’t remember which way I had come.” The small girl whined.
“It’s okay; I’ll take you back there. My name’s Crevayne, what’s yours?” I asked, moving a few strands of hair from her face.
“Adel.” She replies shyly, letting the hair fall back over her face.
“Well, Adel. Would you like to stay for some food, or go straight back?” I asked, shifting my weight.
“I want to go home. I’m scared..” Trailing off, I put her back on the ground, shifting into fox form and crouching looking towards my back. “W-what?”
“Someone shift back and tell her I want her to get on my back.” I demand.
“I’ll do it.” Nesis groans. “Little girl, don’t worry, she just wants you to get on her back. It’ll be faster than you running in Wolf form. She’s a full-grown fox.” Whimpering, the girl straddles my back. “Let her know when you’re ready for her to run, you may want to hold on tight.”
“I’m ready.” Adel whispers, holding onto my neck fur. Within a second, I’m running at full speed through the shrubs. Half an hour later I could tell I was in Wolf territory, the strong smell coming from every square inch of soil; it made me a bit nervous. I headed towards the small village that I could see through the clearing of trees, the smell getting stronger.
I wandered into the village, trying as best I could at showing submission. “That’s my house there.” Adel whispered, I nodded and headed towards the cottage, when I got to the door I crouched so Adel could get off my back.
“Fox!” I heard someone snarl. I quickly crouched as low to the ground as I could get, whining.
“No! Don’t hurt her!” Adel yelled, she walked towards the other Wolves. I heard lots of growling while she talked to them. During the commotion my emotion got the better of me and I shifted back into human form, I quickly rolled into a ball, waiting for my brain to let me shift again.
I heard footsteps get closer; warily I looked up at the large man standing over me.
“I see no Fox, only this human.” He leaned in closer, sniffing me. “I see. She smells like Fox, though. Adel, come and explain.”
“Sir, she helped me, and stopped the other Foxes attacking me.”
“That’s a lie! She’s probably a spy; we all know how cunning Foxes are!” A female voice said from the small crowd that had gathered.
“Be quiet!” The man yelled, I got the feeling that this was the Alpha. “Someone get her some clothes, I would like to talk to this woman.”
♠ ♠ ♠
My first idea of a story in a while. I'm probably a little rusty at writing for now.
I know this part is a little boring, but it'll get better, I hope.