Warmness on the Soul

PDA

Grace’s heels clicked on the pearl-white floor as she walked manically towards the natal unit. The white corridors that had seem so welcoming on her first day were now cold and desolate. She shouldn’t get involved, she knew fine well she shouldn’t.

But how could she not?

She reached the NICU (Neonatal Intensive care unit) and gently pushed open the door to Dylan’s private room.

“Hey, what are you doing here, it’s your break, go have some coffee or something,” Brian said walking over to her.

“No, no I can’t.” Brian nodded.

Dylan was born at around 25/26 weeks, premature, but mature enough to survive on a ventilator and grow up to have a normal life with little or no problems. However, he did have PDA (persistent ductus arteriosus) which is when a blood vessel around the heart fails to close properly. He was on indomethacin as treatment.

However, when Matt went into to check on him, his heart rate was sky high, and his breathing irregular. He called the nurse, who in turn called the doctor, who consulted a surgeon, who all agreed he’d benefit from a transcatheter device procedure. The procedure involves passing a small metal coil or other blocking device through the catheter to the site of the PDA. Which would block blood flowing through the vessel.

Understandably Matt had freaked out, he’d already lost one son, and in a sense lost Val too, he couldn’t lose another.

The procedure was a success however and Dylan would be fine, his antibiotics were upped and he was under supervision, but these were all routine, there was no reason why he shouldn’t live a normal happy life.

“How, you doing buddy?” Grace asked walking over to Matt and placing a hand on his shoulder, tracing wee circles with her thumb and index finger.

“I, I, just can’t believe I almost lost him Gracie, if I hadn’t came in the room-”

“But you did Matt, and he’s going to be fine, the doctor said so right?”

Matt smiled and took her hand from his back in his, “Thanks Gracie,”