Sequel: Call It Karma
Status: Done :)

Sweet Illusions

the push & pull.

"No way dude, no one ever sees the end of Fight Club coming!" Kennedy called out with a beer in his hand, everyone hanging around his couch during a kick back. Elliot tried to stop laughing in order to take a sip, instead she let out another giggle and looked to see her best friend with big eyes, holding out her hands defensively.

"I have to agree with Kenny on this one, the best part of Fight Club is the plot twist! It wouldn't have been such a phenomena if you could see the end coming," Elliot nodded, adjusting her low cut tank top to avoid her boobs from falling out. She clinked beer bottles with Kennedy before Madison narrowed her eyes at them.

"Well thanks, best friend, for having my back!" Madison spat out, her words were slightly sloppy. Instead, her milky green eyes closed as she sighed trying to prove her point one last time, "I just saw it coming."

"Wait, but didn't you already know the ending of the movie before you saw it for the first time?" Elliot asked, tilting her head with the realization. Unfortunately, it had come a couple minutes late, but alcohol had that effect on people. Elliot decided it was probably time to stop drinking since she had to drive later.

"Oh, it doesn't count if you know it already," Kennedy shrugged, as if it would be all good again. Elliot decided to get a cup of water to help clear her mind or grab some food and she hugged Madison lightly.

"Fine, I give up! Can you at least get me another beer while you're up?" Madison slapped Elliot on the back probably harder than she meant to, as she started to walk away.

"Ow! Yes, I can," Elliot laughed rubbing the spot, then she saw Madison starting to slide down the couch awkwardly. Elliot just walked into the kitchen finding a bagel and water bottle, deciding to forgo another beer for her already drunk friend. When she turned around she saw John standing awkwardly in the kitchen, "wow, that's super creepy!"

"I try, plus any alone time I could get with you is worth a couple of insults you seem to always throw," John smiled ambiguously, she raised her eyebrows skeptically. She opened the water bottle and took a cool sip before John started making him way towards her seductively.

"Hmm, so despite the fact I've rejected all your advances you're still trying all the little league moves on me, interesting," She said, moving in closer herself. Leaving the bagel behind on the granite counter top, she arched her back towards him so her chest stuck out more.

"Well not all my advances, you danced with me. That means something, right?" John asked, lowering his voice to a whisper, remembering there were fifteen other people in the next room. His heart started racing, he hadn't been this close to her since they shared a dance. He looked away for a second to clear his head.

"I don't know," Elliot moved closer till she could literally feel his presence, "does it?" She smirked coyly before grabbing the bagel and leaving right before they actually, physically touched. She sat next to the drunk blonde who was wavering slightly.

They stayed for a while longer, John and Elliot stealing looks at each other before looking away with dumb, smitten smiles on their lips. Elliot's being faked of course. The three summers of acting camp had certainly paid off, Jared seemed to think they were real when he gave her a disapproving look. Finally, John came over and sat next to Elliot, wrapping his arm around her in a swift movement.

"How about we go out Friday night?" He asked, with a cocky demeanor, as if he knew she was going to say yes. In a manner that almost wasn't asking at all, Elliot stood up and gave him a curt smile.

"Friday night? Ooh, I'd love to, but I already have plans that don't make me wanna shoot myself," She spoke sarcastically, but a sweetness in her voice. Everyone laughed at John's expense before Madison literally slipped off the couch and Elliot sighed, "well I best be on my way with little miss I'm-not-drunk."

"I'm not!" Maddie slurred, giggling from her little tumble as Elliot helped her out walk towards the door.

"Mhmm, sure you're not, sweetie. Kenny, are you coming?" Elliot asked looking over to her step-brother who seemed to be rather preoccupied with something or other. Elliot adjusted her skinny jeans before wrapping Madison's arm over her shoulder so they would walk in a semi-straight line.

"Uh, no. I'm just gonna hang out for a bit. Will you guys be okay?" He asked beginning to stand up, he sort of took a paternal role with Madison and Elliot. She smiled and nodded before waving to everyone in the room and locked eyes with John.

"Bye John," She said sultrily before pouting her lips as she smirked at him. He seemed taken back by this, which was generally a good thing when it came to the game. The more time a guy spent thinking trying to figure you out, the more he thought about you and less about other girls.

Elliot helped Madison into the passenger seat, making sure she wouldn't puke before she started driving home. Her mind raced to John, she hoped the plan was working this far. She thought about how close they were in the kitchen and felt goosebumps shoot all over her skin and her eyes grew wide. She convinced herself it had just been the drought of boys she'd been going through recently, she just wasn't used to it.

She sighed loudly as she pulled into the driveway and Madison started singing a soft lullaby, closing her eyes. "Maddie, don't pass out please! Come on hon," She whispered, rushing to get to her best friend out of the passenger seat. Madison was muttering about being sleepy and Elliot smiled, they were closer than blood. They always took care of each other, there was no one else she could trust with her life.

They both changed into their pajamas making small talk, which was futile since Madison was beyond drunk, Elliot tucked her in before throwing her long loose curls into a ponytail. Finally, Madison's green eyes opened slightly as Elliot climbed into bed next to her, "Elle?"

"Yeah, Mads?" Elliot asked, leaning over to turn off her bed lamp.

"You're my best friend," Madison slurred, cuddling her face into a plush pillow, her cheeks flushed from the alcohol. Her voice almost sounded childlike with fatigue.

"You're my best friend, too," Elliot whispered, laying on her back and trying to clear her mind to sleep.

"And I'm totally in love with your brother," Madison slurred before passing out, Elliot let out a small laugh. She knew Kennedy would be happy with that information, but something was bothering her. Besides the usual worries on her mind, like school, the future and those sorts of things, there was something else. She simply dismissed it as indigestion and turned onto her side to finally go to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
meep. big things soon i swear!
ELLIOT.
special thank you and extra love to: somewhereclosebehind, whilethefirewasout, somebody_who_cares & Josh Montgomery. for commenting! you guys keep me writing this story :)
thanks for reading & let me know what you think!