Status: Active.

Loving Sunday

Seven

“Thank you so much for giving me this job Mrs. Connweller,” Sunday said taking and shaking Lily Connweller’s hand. “When do you want me to start?”

“Please, call me Lily,” she replied, smiling kindly at her daughters’ friend and new employee. “Tomorrow, I think. We open at ten and don’t worry about lunch, I always bring something.”

Sunday nodded, said goodbye and thank you once more, then left. When she was safely back in the truck, she let out a soft excited squeal. She was relived to finally have a job after being in La Push for two weeks. She’d told Kim the other day that she was looking for a job for something to do with her days and Kim had told her about her Mom’s boutique and that she was hiring.

When Sunday told her she was interested, Kim called up her Mom right away and Sunday had an interview. Sunday couldn’t thanks Kim enough and she also couldn’t get over the fact that she really had a friend in La Push.

Remembering that Kate had given her a shopping list, she put the keys in the ignition and left the parking lot, driving down the street to the grocery store. The town was so small that Sunday had learned where everything was rather quickly and could now do things for her aunt. She felt useful and not like she was just taking up space.

Sunday arrived at the grocery store a few minutes later. During her short drive, the rain had started to fall and it was slamming against the truck fiercely. She looked around, but there was no umbrella, she’d stupidly forgotten to grab one of her way out. Great, Sunday thought, I’m going to get drenched.

With a stream of muttered cures words, Sunday pulled her jacket closer around her and pulled her back up her shoulder. With a deep intake of breath, she opened the door and quickly stepped out into the down pour. She shut the door loudly and then ran across the parking lot.

Inside the store, Sunday shook off as much water as she could and grabbed cart. She set her bag in the cart and pulled the list out of her jean pocket, scanning over its content before pushing the cart down the first isle. There were only a few minor things that Kate needed and they were all fairly close together.

Sunday had almost everything her aunt needed within a few minutes, needing only to get a couple cans of tomato soup. She found the soup isle easily, but when she reached up to get the cans she needed, they were out of her reach. She pursed her lips and stood on her tip toes and jumped up, but that didn’t help.

Suddenly, a shadow was cast over her and someone reached up and plucked two a can of tomato soup. Sunday turned around and came face to chest with Paul. She looked up and met his smoldering brown eyes. Paul handed her the can, smiling a dopey smile down at her.

Instead of saying thank you, Sunday said, “I need two cans.” Sunday felt bad for saying that and was about to apologize, but Paul reached up again and swiped another can of soup, placing it into her hands with a satisfied smile. “Thank you Paul,” she said, putting on her best, fake smile.

“No problem,” Paul replied, sounding far to chipper for Sunday’s taste. She didn’t know why, but Paul got on her nerves and she’d only known him for two weeks. But that wasn’t the reason she was so bothered by him, no, it was the fact that her thoughts were almost always revolving around him.

They stood there for a moment, Paul was grinning a wolfish grin at her and Sunday just wanted to get out of there. The longer they stood there, the more awkward it became for Sunday and the more she wanted to pay for her groceries and get out of there.

“Look Paul, I should probably go, Kate will be waiting for me,” Sunday lied. Kate was at work and wouldn’t be back until six. But she needed and excuse and that was the first one that popped into her head.

Paul nodded and insisted that he help her get her groceries out to the truck. She tried to protest, saying that she could handle the few bags, but he insisted. So Sunday stood beside him with her teeth clenched as the old woman rung up her few items. It felt like years until she was walking out of the store, Paul trotting behind her with the bags in his hands. The rain had lightened up a bit, but she hurried to get to the truck.

Sunday pulled the keys from her bag and unlocked the trucks passenger door and instructed Paul to put the bags in when he refused to give them to her. When she shut the door, she said a quick goodbye to Paul and rushed over to the driver’s side. She unlocked it quickly and jumped inside, ready to shut the door and drive off. But Paul stopped her before she could.

“Wait Sunday, I’m actually really glad I ran into you today,” Paul said, another dopey smile lighting up his face. Sunday didn’t like to admit it, but Paul had a cute smile. “I wanted to invite you to a bonfire tomorrow night, up on the cliffs of First Beach. Emily’s going bring hotdogs and stuff and the elders are going to tell the quileute legends. Kim is gonna be there too,” he added, seeing the doubtful look enter her eyes.

“Okay, I guess I’ll come,” Sunday replied biting her lip and averting her eyes from his hope filled ones. “But I’ll have to ask Kate and make sure it’s okay first,” she added. “Okay, I’ve got to go, see you around.” She slid the keys into the ignition and had the door closed before Paul knew what was happening.

Paul said something else, but Sunday’s music was so loud that she didn’t hear it and she wouldn’t stop too either. She pulled out of the parking lot, leaving Paul standing there, waving like an idiot in the rain. “He’s going to catch a cold,” Sunday muttered to herself, watching Paul disappear in the rear view mirror.
♠ ♠ ♠
Gosh, I am so sorry that this chapter is just now being posted. I've not spent a ton of time on the computer lately and then when I have, I was a little side tracked. But it's posted now anyway.

Please leave your thoughts behind and subscribe. Much love to you if you do and even if you don't.

xoxoGreen