Status: updating soon

When Hope Begins to Fade

School

Matt had told us a few days ago that daddy enrolled us into school. We took tests and got to skip kindergarten. We will be first graders like we were suppose to. Ali is nervous, but I think it will be fun and that we will make new friends. I’m glad that daddy got us in school. Today is our first day and Val is taking us.

“Are you girls ready to go?” Val asked us. We were currently sitting on the couch.

“Yeah.” I answered Val. Ali just shrugged.

“Well, let’s go then. You don’t want to be late on the first day do you?” Val asked but neither of us said anything. Instead we followed her out of the house and to her car. Ali and I got in the back on the car and buckled our seatbelts. Val turned the radio on and began humming along with the song. I stared out the window and wondered what today would be like. Would I like school? What will the other kids think of me? Or Ali? Val stopped the car and I saw that we were at the school. I didn’t really know my way around since I had only been here twice.

“C’mon, I will help you girls find your homeroom.” Val spoke once we got out of the car.

We walked in the school. Kids were looking at us and whispering as we walked to the principal’s office. Val began speaking to the office aid about our classes. Ali got closer to me.

“Maddy, why are kids staring at us?” Ali whispered.

“I don’t know. Probably because we are new.” I smiled at her.

“Alright, I will take you to your room and leave. Luckily, you two have the same teacher.” Val smiled. We began following Val down the hallways. We stopped at a door that read Mrs. Davidson on the wall. “Here is your room. Just go in and go to the teacher and tell her who you are, okay?” Ali and I nodded our heads yes.“ Jimmy is picking you two up after school. I will see you later.” Val smiled and walked off. Ali glanced over at me. “Why did she have to leave us now for?” Ali asked. I shrugged and opened the door. The kids in the classroom looked over to the door where Ali and I were standing. The teacher glanced over from the board and smiled.

“Um, we are suppose to be in your class.” I spoke loud enough for the teacher to hear.

“Ah, you must be the two new girls. Come on in. I am Mrs. Davidson, your teacher.” Mrs. Davidson told us. Ali and I walked over to her. “Why don’t you tell the class your names and a little about yourself.”

“Okay, well I am Maddy. My favorite color is neon green. I love going to the arcade and skating. I also love playing video games.” I smiled.

Ali spoke after I finished. “I am Ali. My favorite color is pink. Jimmy is my favorite uncle. He is really cool. I like to go shopping and to the park. I also love eating ice cream.”

“Well, you two seem interesting.” Mrs. Davidson smiled.

“Oh! We are also twins.” I randomly spoke. The kids laughed.

“We can see that. How about you two go find a desk and sit down. You can hang your bags on the hooks back there.”

We did what she said. We both hung up our bags then found a desk to sit at. Ali was sitting in front of me. I was sitting in the very back of the room. To my right was a wall with drawings. To my left was a girl. She had blonde hair that was wavy. She had on a blue dress. She seemed like she came out of a princess movie.

I paid little attention to the teacher throughout the morning. It was finally time for recess. I stood up and waited for Ali. She smiled and we followed the kids in our classroom outside to a playground. I walked towards the swings since I knew Ali would want to swing. I sat in a swing and Ali sat in the swing next to me.

“Um, excuse me?” I glanced over to the girl who was sitting across from me in class. She was talking to Ali. “That is my swing.”

“That isn’t your swing.” I spoke.

“Was I talking to you?” the girl snapped.

“Do you think I care? It isn’t your swing. Your name isn’t on it.”

“Oh really? It doesn’t matter. Everyone knows that it is MY swing.” the girl glared at me.

“Well guess what? I still don’t care and my sister isn’t moving.”

“She will if I make her.” The girl went over to Ali and pushed her backwards and made her fall off. I hopped off my swing and went over to the girl. I hit her hard in the face. The girl started crying so I went to Ali.

“Are you alright?” I asked my sister. She shook her head yes and I helped her up. I noticed that the girl wasn’t around us anymore but a lot of other kids were.

“Whoa, that was amazing.” One boy spoke.

“I don’t like that girl.” A girl spoke.

“What she did to you wasn’t nice.” Another girl said to Ali.

“I wish I had a twin!” A boy shouted.

A teacher came over with a crying princess. I had no clue what her name was, so I am calling her Princess.

“She did it!” Princess cried and pointed at me.

“Did what?” I asked innocently.

“You hit me!” the girl screamed.

“Why would I do that for?” I asked.

“Because I pushed your sister off the swing because it is my swing!”

I smiled because the girl just admitted to pushing Ali off the swing.

“Wait, you pushed who off the swing?” the teacher asked.

“She pushed my sister, Ali.” I pointed at Ali.

“You are going to the principal’s office.” The teacher told Princess. “And you,” the teacher pointed at me. “Did you hit her?”

“No, she didn’t.” Ali spoke up. “She was helping me.”

“Yeah! She is just being whiney. I saw what happened.” a boy spoke up.

“Alright, I will leave you guys to your free time.” the teacher walked off. I grinned. I had just lied and gotten away from it.

“Ha-ha! Now she won’t be here for recess and everyone can swing!” a girl shouted as she ran for a swing. Then every kid around us ran to get a swing. Some went to do other things though. The ones who didn’t get swings sat in the grass and watched. Ali and I began to walked around.

“Wait until Jimmy hears what I did!” I smiled.

“You will probably get into trouble.” Ali laughed.

“She deserved it! That freakin’ princess.”

“Princess?” Ali questioned.

“Yeah, she dresses like a princess. She reminds me of one. I don’t know her real name.” I laughed.

A teacher blew the whistle and it was time to go back in. The rest of the day passed pretty fast. During lunch we sat next to a few kids in our class. Our seconds recess we had kids wanting to hang out with us. I didn’t see princess the rest of the day.

Ali and I ran outside and to Jimmy’s car. We both got in.

“Guess what? Guess what? Guess what?!” Ali and I began shouting.

“Whoa, calm down. I don’t know. You went to outer space?” Jimmy asked.

“Nope.” Ali smiled.

“You caught a snake?”

“Nope.” I said this time.

“I don’t know. Tell me.” Jimmy grinned.

“I hit a girl in the face!” I grinned.

“The girl pushed me off the swing because she said it was hers.” Ali spoke.

“A bunch of kids like us now.” I spoke again.

“They didn’t like the girl either.” Ali spoke after me.

“I didn’t get into trouble either.”

“Maddy tricked the girl so she tattled on herself.”

“She admitted to the teacher that she pushed Ali off the swing.”

“She got into trouble.”

“The teacher asked if I hit her.”

“I spoke up and said no.”

“A boy agreed and said I didn’t.”

“We didn’t see Princess the rest of the day.”

“I gave her the nickname Princess.” I grinned.

“Maddy thought that she looked like a princess is why.”

We finally stopped talking.

“Wow, I know some girls that are way to hyper. So, Maddy hit a girl because she pushed Ali. Maddy got the girl to tell on herself. A boy even said that Maddy didn’t hit the girl. Maddy gave the girl the nickname princess because she is like a princess.” Jimmy spoke out loud to himself. “Okay, I got it. You shouldn’t hit people Maddy, but good job.” Jimmy grinned. “Wait until everyone else hears what happened. So did you like school?”

“It was okay once Princess was gone.” I laughed.

“And now everyone wants to be our friend.” Ali smiled.

“That’s pretty cool.” Jimmy spoke as he stopped the car. “Now get your stuff and go inside. I want you to tell everyone the story like you told me. Make sure to speak fast and each of you speak one sentence at a time. Got it?” Ali and I grinned and ran inside.