Rabidity

Proposition

“Ms. Knox I’m terribly sorry to hear about your mothers untimely death.” Albus Dumbledore said. “It’s a terrible shame, I recall giving her an award for being one of most accomplished witches of her class.”

Adrienne’s Legs twitched, as uncomfortable as she was; she was only making it worse by fidgeting. Her slender figure hidden under a violet cloak, she had refused to take it off because Dumbledore’s office was chilly, and she liked to run a certain temperature.

“I understand you knew her very well.” She nodded.

“Yes, It will plague my happiness the rest of today.” He said kindly. “Do you know why I have asked you here Ms. Knox?”

“I assumed my mothers death.”

“Actually quite the contrary.” Albus said. “It has more to do with your birth.”

“I can tell you that I am indeed, lost.” She said already puzzled. “So please, continue.”

“Well for starters, your magic has become of interest to me. Due to the paternity of your father your magical abilities seem to have been hindered.”

“I’m not a witch. Just the daughter of one. You know that Albus.” Adrienne said with a smile.

“No Ms. Knox, you are indeed a witch.” He said. “But due to your… unique transformation, I’ve figured out that a simple subssision spell or potion would do you a great deal of help.”

“I’ve tried it before, only worked for a mere hour.”

“Yes, but it was not brewed by my head potions master, he has surpassed many great wizards in the field of brewing.”

“Potions, are the one thing I can always do. It doesn’t require a wand.”

“Well as bleak as you may think it be, Professor Snape is quite capable of brewing you a marvelous subsission potions, for your… needs. It would pleas me to see you take a class or two from him, you’d learn some quite interesting things.”

“Okay I’ll take that into consideration. What’s the second thing?”

“Well I was wondering if you’d consider finding a home here at Hogwarts. I have several teachers, some the best in the world who are ready and able to teach you.”

“A home?” she questioned.

“Seeing as how your mother has so suddenly passed, I see it as a great duty of mine to assure you have somewhere to stay, and continue your magical education.”

“Alright, Professor,” her time was being wasted. “…is there a third thing?”

“Yes as a matter of fact, but I fear that I cannot tell you just yet. It all will depend on your future here.”

“Hm. Intriguing Professor, however the many troubles my mother left me with will occupy me for some time.”

“I understand my dear. But please consider my offer, you would learn a great deal here.”

“I’m sure I would.” She said back.

“I will call upon you later… after you’ve had sometime to think about the options you have on the table?”

“That would do just fine Headmaster.” Adrienne said.

“Very well,” he smiled “you may help yourself to the floo powder.

“Have a pleasant evening, I thank you again for your well wishes and concern.”

“Of course Ms. Knox. Travel safe.”

Adrienne whispered her desired destination and saw Albus Dumbledore disappear into a bright light. Her insides twisted until he reached the fire place of her mothers old home.
_________________________________________________________

After Adrienne Knox had left his office, Albus sauntered outside in search of his old friend.

“Minerva, have you seen Severus by chance?” Albus asked.

“Why, yes sir, he was in the great hall only a moment ago.”

“Why thank you, I shall require his company later this evening. Have a good day my dear.”

“And you headmaster.”

Only moments later did he see Severus.

Albus spotted him while he was heading back to the dungeons. His cape billowed behind his dark figure, his eyes were sunken more lately, and something kept him up. It seemed something always was.

“Severus, my friend. I shall require your company this evening. Are you available?”

“Headmaster, I believe I can manage a few spare hours… if I saunter off my new detentions to Filtch. What are we venturing out for, might I ask?”

“Well a dear student of mine took her own life earlier this week. And I wish to simply keep her only daughter from doing the same.”

“How exciting.” He said blankly. “Suicide watch?” he raised his eyebrow.

“Only as a precaution.” Albus motioned for Severus to walk with him. “I’ve offered her a home here as to further her magical skills. And I’ve also learned a surprising aspect about her that may come in handy during this dark time.”

“And that may be?” Snape asked.

“She’s simply special. Her soul is very old, and one that Tom Riddle may know.”

“You’re… not saying…” Severus asked,

“Indeed Severus, what I believed to be true, in fact is. However I have yet to ask her for her help.”
______________________________________________________

Adrienne was truly intrigued by the offer left to her from Professor Albus Dumbledore. But she only thought for a moment about learning magic, making friends, changing her mind.

Instead her date with a razor kept her mind occupied.

Her mother’s whole house was made up of hardwood flooring. There was a new rug in the living room, and when she lifted it, there was a dark pool where the boards had absorbed the blood from her veins.

Adrienne would do the same. Take her own life. She never learned magic because she could never concentrate, he blood was always boiling, her emotions always in some peak of collapsing. Subsission – a powerful spell meant to calm wizard distraction. She had no future in magic because of it.

Her father had never been a part of her life – her mother was ashamed of getting pregnant so young and out of wedlock, Adrienne doubted her father even knew she was spawned – given the rare gift he’d given her. Adrienne had to future with him.

She was finally alone in the world, and with Voldemort’s return… things would only become worse. She only hoped that Potter kid would be braver than she.

After truly considering Albus’s offer, she decided death seemed easier.

She slit each wrist deeply, and waited.
♠ ♠ ♠
this story is just in pilot mode. I'll see where I want to take this in a little bit of time, but I just wanted to post what I had. Comments are great. :)