Rabidity

Misconception

Severus tended to the girl as she was unable to move for the time being. Her eyes showed fear. Perhaps this girl was afraid of something, maybe she wasn’t as fearless as she’d let on. Severus was glad however that she had came to her senses and decided to keep herself quiet. He had to carry her to the leather couch that sat in his office. It was small, but it held her small figure perfectly. He summoned a pot of tea and helped the warm liquid down her throat. Severus felt sorry for causing this to happen to her, someone with her blood would’ve reacted differently to the Deludico, he should’ve known that.

He fingers began to move within the hour, and her limbs followed soon after. Although when Adrienne stood she mentioned something about having to re-learn how to walk. Her legs were likely still jelly, but she stood nonetheless and took several steps before she collapsed into her professors arms. Again, she noticed how gentle he was with her – she’d seen him smack students of the head with books, but with her he was being ever so careful. She appreciated the care, and when he steps didn’t become easier he lifted her into his arms.

She blinked only once.

Then her eyes opened to her own room. The bed had been made by a house elf no doubt. And another pot of tea sat at her bedside. He placed her over top of the blankets.

“If you find you should need me, send your elf, I won’t be far.” He said, she nodded in response to his offer to help. He was gone when she blinked again.

How the bloody hell did he do that? she thought.
__________________________________________________

Several weeks passed. Adrienne returned to taking classes from McGonagall and Flitwick as well as from Professor Snape - when he was around. He was busy dealing with the wizarding world as well as trying to teach classes. She felt content with practicing charms and other spells, but she felt a strange feeling… she quite missed potions. She enjoyed spending time with Snape when she could.

His demeanor was nice. He was calm and intelligent. Adrienne was never much of a talker because her mouth usually got her into trouble. She missed his intelligent insights, his knowledge of ingredients and spells, and Adrienne appreciated everything he said when he talked. She thought it was weird, but she was grateful for the time she was allotted even if it was small. Snape was an incredible wizard and she was honored to have had such an opportunity to learn from him.

She was excited to actually be able to see Snape today, she had arrived to take her subsission potion, as well as discuss some typical brewing questions. Ones she already knew the answer to but couldn’t help but ask because Snape always had more to add than she expected. It was charming his way with knowledge.

She let a smile play across her lips as he opened the door to the back room, there sat his desk with another pile of essays.

“You know if you didn’t assign them, you wouldn’t have to grade them.”

“I suppose you’re right, and what do you suppose I do? Let them practice? I’m hardly willing to supervise more than I have to.”

“Right, and that’s why you love lessons with me right?” she was still smiling.

“Right, a sore brat to babysit for an hour? Love them.”

“You’re a right prick to call me that, detention for insulting a student.” She mimicked.

“Detention Ms. Knox for insulting a teacher.” He said without a smile. She returned the cold gaze with a look that said –‘I’d like to see you try.’

“Can’t we brew something fun? Like Spider cane… or Witches Dundrum?”

“All those potions include very unsafe, and rare ingredients.”

“Like I said: fun.”

Professor Snape gave her a curious eye roll. His hair stayed in front of his face as he shook his head no. She let a frown play across her lips this time and she even let her lip pout, almost to beg.

“Please I think I need another essay to grade.” He said handing her the subsission potion. “Make it about the brewing properties of… Witches Dundrum.” He smiled.
She tipped back the potion, swallowed it, and sat down. She pulled out a bit of parchment and bewitched her quill – she looked closely at the marks it made on the paper – making sure they were correct.

Severus watched the girl struggle with keeping the quill still. Her subsission potion would kick in soon and then she would have no problems.

Then he felt it. A burning on his arm, he was being summoned. He stood to leave and noticed a smile across her face as she picked her head up, the quill was now gracefully moving across the paper, her smile showed that she was proud.

“I apologize, but I must take leave, please show yourself out Ms. Knox when your essay is complete. You make leave it on my desk.”

With another blink of an eye, her professor was gone. She noticed the the quill was still writing her thoughts, they began to speak of disappointment and longing… for her professor.
____________________________________________________

Severus appeared out of the shadows in the Malfoy manor. Draco was in the corner furthest from the Dark Lord, not doubt Narcissa had told him to keep his distance; he was really testing the Dark Lord’s patience. Severus saw the evil man himself sitting at the head of the table, coaxing him to come sit near him. Severus took the seat and waited as other death eaters appeared, It didn’t take long because if any one made the Dark Lord wait they could consider themselves cursed.

Severus again had his mind quite closed off. He never closed it off entirely, but left small openings in which Voldemort could explore. If his entire mind was blocked off that would raise suspicion. He was searching the minds of others as well, and it seems to have been quiet week, there were several muggles that had been killed, but it had been quick and painless – Snape was quite relieved to not feel the burden of all that pain.

Draco had finished mending the cabinet, and soon the death eaters would find their way to Hogwarts, Snape knew that he would likely follow – because that was what Dumbledore had asked of him. He kept that thought locked away tight as he could feel the Dark Lord had been searching everyone’s minds tonight, and although talented at Legilimency, Voldemort wasn’t better than Snape’s Occlumency and Snape was able to feed him the thoughts he wanted. And he was relived as the group was dismissed.

For only a second did he let and image of Adrienne flash through his mind – he saw her sitting at a desk, her long hair draped in front of her… she looked up into his eyes and he felt that warm stare from before. Unfortunately this memory was all Voldemort needed to see before realizing what it was. Snape’s relief had caused him to let slip a delicate memory that he was supposed to keep safe.

Snape heard the Dark Lord call his name, and he knew what it was about.

How could I have been such a fool? he thought silently.