Rabidity

Coronation

The chair Severus fell asleep in was nowhere near comfortable – he’d manage a few minutes of sleep before he’d wake again. Although he believed that if he’d stop seeing Albus’ face when he closed his eyes – that the chair would no longer bother him.

Although, it was nice to see Adrienne sleeping peacefully.

He wished he could cast the same dreamless sleep spell for himself, but it only worked for others. If he had a vial of dreamless sleep potion he would’ve downed it already. Although he still found comfort in the flash of Firewhisky hidden in his pocket. The burning liquid tickled his throat and the false sense of warmth would lull him back into a deeper sleep.
Ever since Severus was young he had always dreamed in black and white. It seemed fitting to him. He always wore black, and he found many colors simply obnoxious to his vision, with only few exceptions. But like always he saw the faces of those he knew like they were characters in an old film.
Severus did not know where he was in the dream, which was also fitting – he did not know where he was now, as a false follower to the dark lord… what could he do now without Albus?


Severus found several ingredients in his hand, and a bit of parchment. He seemed to have been identifying species. He held the Brigg Mushrooms and wrote it down,
Brigg – Mushroom – Fungus
Poison – Ratio 50
Rarity – 7
Then he was distracted. Now realizing he was at school he expected to see Lily Potter beside him – it was the only thing he remembered with color, the bright red hair.


But over the years when Severus did in fact dream of Lily she was still in black and white. Which is why he was confused when color radiated from the person closest to him


Looking to his left he saw the most beautiful thing he thought he’d ever dream. And that was Adrienne. She radiated a glow of a soft amber color, something that brought him warmth. He placed his head on her lap, and this brought him the most peace he’d felt in his life since the night Lily had died. This beautiful girl had enveloped him into this glowing circle of beauty and he never wanted to leave.


Finally his wand woke him from the peaceful dream. As he had instructed it to, it awoke him early, it was five now. And Adrienne still slept comfortable tucked in a soft duvet. He liked the color green against her pale flesh. Green was one of those colors he liked, most likely growing accustomed to it over his Slytherin years.

Although one thing clung to him while he sat there and watched her sleep without dreams… “I’m sorry, I ripped all my clothes protecting someone I care about…”

Did she honestly mean that?

He still didn’t move for another half hour. He watched the girl sleeping, knowing that the girl in his dreams was all but real. Never would he be able to lay his head in her lap while she ran her fingers through his hair and whispered soft things. But for now he could pretend that being in her presence gave him that same peace.

___

Adrienne awoke that morning with light hitting her face. The embers of the fire were still glowing orange, that left the room lightly toasty, and not chilled like the rest of the house. The chair where Severus had sat earlier that night was empty – she wondered if he had even stayed for a little bit. But alas, how would she ever know.

She still was pleased that she awoke peacefully, and not in terror like the last time. She remembered no dreams, nothing frightening her within the confines of her own mind. She hands lingered on the silky fabric that now covered her body. It was some of the softest silk she’d ever felt. It was a lovely emerald green – the color of the Slytherin house. And again, another reminder that he had been her teacher.

Now she didn’t know what to think. Surely she was still a student in his eyes.

Adrienne didn’t let the ideas sink in too far into her brain. She found a nice cotton t shirt and a new wool skirt to wear at the foot of her bed. Also black, and green like her night gown, perhaps it was Severus that had left them. She changed quickly, and tucked the soft night gown behind her pillow for safe keeping.

She sat then, for hours. A small breakfast arrived. But she still sat; she practiced small charms while she waited for something to happen anything to happen. She transfigured a bit of grape vine into a small caterpillar and was able to make it inch across the table before returning to a bit of branch.

She was able to draw small tattooed lines across her skin – ones that were temporary, and disappeared within minutes.

She was able to perfect a powerful spell she’d been learning, one where she could lighten or darken a room with only her wand and lots of concentration.

Then after she had lost track of what spell she’d tried, and completed, they came for her.

Midday. She found her mind completely lost in her charms and spells, but soon her door opened.

She wanted to fight back the urge to run, but instead her mind and body seemed to muddy up the commands, and she retreated to the furthest wall from the door, seeking refuge in the cold stone wall.

Once again, the Dark Lord was before her – and again she hid her fear. She tucked it deep into her kneecaps and held her breath. She was glad she did because the foul air that followed this dark man around came pungent and rancid. Almost as if the death he caused followed him around. This time he was alone, the death eaters now resided outside the door, and would not hear anything going on due to the still in tact silencing charm.

The evil man seemed to take a moment to look her up and down; again he looked astonished by her resemblance to his late love.

“How is it you came to Hogwarts? As I understand, you have only recently enrolled under the hand of my old teacher, Albus Dumbledore.”

“I uh…” she realized she was pausing, she looked odd, suspicious. “My mother, recently died, and the home schooling couldn’t be completed, obviously.”

“Home schooling? So you were still attempting magic?”

“The… transformation my Lord, it messed with my wand abilities.”

“Ah… but not your influencing abilities?”

“No sir, some things just come naturally I guess.”

“I must admit something to you young child… all those years ago when I killed Daygonna; I almost regretted it. She was charming, and as you already know quite a witch to look upon, but she had lost sight of her place – and became a liability to my plans. However now that I have again risen to power and will have reign over the entire magical world - I realize that I do need something from her. Something she can no longer give me… but if you my dear, and indeed some sort of copy, or thread of what she was… you will do well for the task.”

“And sir what is that?”

“I need... a son.” He hissed slowly. The phrase came out of his lips like it was nothing, a seventeen-year-old girl… having a child. However… Adrienne easily forgot how normal rules did not apply while receiving instructions from the Dark Lord.

While she was thinking of the ghastly task before her she nearly screamed when he grabbed her wrist. With unbelievable strength she was thrust against the wall while his body against hers and all she could feel was incredible pain growing in her arm, burning, tingling, then searing heated pain. She was lost in the swirling chaos of that pain that now consumed her, she fell to her knees once his form no longer held her up, she couldn’t see – but while he vision regained itself she realized what he had done.

He had marked her.

She was now tied to him, tied to the Deatheaters, tied to everything that surrounded this dark man. The Dark Mark on her arm would be there forever.