Rabidity

Predilection

She touched the small mark on her forearm. It still felt like acid had been scoured across her arm. It was raised and irritated, and unlike the small temporary tattoo charms that would disappear, this one wouldn’t. It almost felt like evil had etched itself into her skin and there was no way of getting it out.

She again was fighting with the emotions within herself. She held back the upset emotions and looked at the dark man that could now call upon her whenever he wished.

She thanked him.

Because she knew that’s what he wanted. And she had begged for an opportunity to undermine this man and lead him away from the order… now she had it. With all the courage she had left she stood back up to his height and smiled. She was going to play this part the best she could, and if she died in the end – she was ready.
__________________________________________________

Severus was finally finished with a day of working for the Dark Lord. He had been mulling in some back alley waiting for a member of the ministry to meet him. He knew that his assistance wasn’t going to be needed until the next coming school year, so he volunteered for this easy task.

He told himself it was because it would mean he would be involved in less murders, give him more time to help Potter… but deep inside him somewhere he was already planning what days he could visit Adrienne. He knew she would need the subsission potion, as well as even a few dreamless sleep potions that she may or may not need. He did not know what the Dark Lord was planning, but he feared the worst.

He was returning to the Dark Lord now to tell him of the recent events in the ministry departments – but he found it odd that his mark was now burning; he was being summoned.

He disapparated once he was clear into the nearest alley. And now found himself before the Dark Lord.

“Severus.” He spoke, just like always.

“My Lord, I was just on my way to tell you of the meeting with Salis.”

“Salis’ family is dead, the information is no longer needed.”

Severus wished he had waited a moment more, then the family could’ve lived.

“My Lord what did you call upon me for then?”

“I need a potion brewed.”

“Absolutely, I can start right away.”

“Yes, do so. Clomervant is was I require, for the girl of course.”

“Yes my Lord.”

“And that other potion… you brew for her… you must cease it all together. The Dogweed interference with the Clomids may make the potion useless. Oh and Severus…”

“Yes?”

“Fenir caught Salis for me on the way back from visiting you… and his natural fear of werewolves made him confess that the information he’d given to you were lies.”

“My Lord I am sorry, indeed. I will use much more force in future investigations.”

“As you will, and Severus, please make sure the girl drinks the potion as often as needed, you can be responsible for that yes?”

“Of course my Lord. May I bed of your intentions…”

“Severus – she is my Daygonna, I will not play with her life again unless needed – I’ve been given a second chance.”

Severus realized he didn’t see Adrienne, he saw Daygonna. Not the young student from Hogwarts, but the young woman he murdered. He believed she was back.

“Now leave my sight.” He hissed.

And just as Severus exited the room he felt his heart sink – he had feared the worst, and now… it had become reality. The Clomids were known for fertility wonders... and now he planned to pump this girl full of them and of course… produce an heir.
___________________________________________________________

Adrienne once again was alone. And she couldn’t be more pleased. After Voldemort had branded her arm, he had left her by leaving a forceful firm kiss upon her rose lips. Something she did not embrace, but tolerated. She had a feeling it would become much worse.

She had never even been with a man before…

She cursed her mother for keeping her home – maybe she would’ve found a boyfriend… maybe it would all be easier for her to continue this obscene task – but once again Adrienne got the worst of things. She was now a lonely mistress to the most evil man in wizarding history and now she was a part of that history. And for the first time in a while she thought about sliding that blade across her wrist. The dark mark now covered one of those scars from the time before.

Every building around here will be gone one day, just like her, just like Daygonna. What did it matter now if she used herself to distract the Dark Lord?

Amidst Adrienne’s melancholy thoughts Severus appeared behind her. He didn’t know how to approach a crying girl – usually he just made girls cry after giving them detention. But he felt the urge to hold her… tell her it was all right, be even he knew it wasn’t.

When she used her hand to wipe the tears from her face he saw the mark on her arm. It must still burn, or she’d have it hidden. She must be scared, he had filled her with incredible fear… And now she only had to face it – it was his fault he was here anyway.

“Ms. Knox.” He spoke softly. He could tell she was startled. Wiping away the tears as quickly as she could before she faced him. “I can’t… give you the subsission potion anymore.” She seemed to look disappointed, but hide it almost as quickly as it had appeared. “You’re to take this potion instead.” He held out the small vial as she eyed him as if he was a stranger offering her a ride home. She didn’t trust the new potion – she didn’t want to trust Snape but she did, every inch of her did. That’s why she took the potion an swallowed it willingly even though the taste of bitter grapes lingered on her tongue for a few minutes.

“I’m sorry for what he’s done.”

“You can’t apologize for him.”

“I am sorry for you, not for him.”

“Well thanks, but that doesn’t do me much good.”

“I told you I’d protect you. I wish I could protect you from this.”

“You tried, remember? Now will you stay tonight?”

“You mean like last night?”

“You didn’t stay.”

“I stayed the whole night.”

“But you said you wouldn’t!”

“I never said that, I stayed, and you slept very sound.”

“Because you put a spell on me.” She giggled thinking of the song.

“I do not know why that raises laughter, but yes.”

“Because of cowfingers & mosquito pie?”

“What sort of disastrous concoction does that make?” he asked. She laughed in response again. Severus saw the strangest faces come from this girl, now she was laughing with a tear stained face.

“It’s actually quite nice if you give it a listen.”

“Listen? How on earth do you listen to cowfingers, let alone mosquitoes in a pie?”

“Very… very carefully.” She said giving him a serious look, as if listening to a CD was dangerous.

“I’m so sorry you had to receive that permanent mark.” Severus spoke after a few minutes.

“Hm, I kind of like it. I might need a few more of these.”

“It burns though doesn’t it?” he asked. Tears were welling in Adrienne’s eyes:

“So badly.” She said while choking back sobs.

“If… if I could I would give you something for it.”

“It’s the potion right? You can’t give me anything else or it won’t work.”

“It hinders its abilities, yes.”

“So let me guess… it’s supposed to make it easier isn’t it?”

“Yes… in its own way. But we should hardly be talking about this.”

“Why not? Because it’s… not ‘appropriate?’” she asked while mocking his voice.

“Incredibly.”

Adrienne’s head found the pillow. She was still sad, and still hoping that it would all just go away. She heard a light ‘pop’ and knew that Snape had left. She was so afraid of this, all of it – the Deatheaters, Voldemort, potions. She had never been a fearless girl – all her life kept locked up, away from the scary world, away from what she was.

Then she had a certain realization while laying there. She was more powerful than she thought. She had been ashamed of her transformation, ashamed of her magic abilities. But she had learned in just this short while that she could do all of it. Her transformation was amazing. She was the only known witch to have been able to channel the werewolf curse. She had saved herself, and made it amazing. She couldn’t use her wand because of it – but she was given the chance to try, and it worked, she was a great witch. She had no reason to be afraid.

Except for one. Voldemort.

He had demanded something from her. Something she didn’t think she could do. She thought that Dumbledore had everything worked out. She had hoped that there was a tangible plan. But since there wasn’t maybe she should form her own plan.
__________________________________________________

Late in the night Adrienne felt it again – a stab of pain in her abdomen. It had happened once before… She opened her eyes after a few moments and saw the very same professor looking out the gothic windows. He probably didn’t know she was awake, just like before – he watched over her while she slept. He was such a stern man, she wondered why he showed the smallest hint of compassion towards her. She would never have expected him to protect her like he has, that was how

Adrienne knew she could trust him.

She sat up in the bed and pulled her knees close to her. Severus heard the rustling of the sheets. And there she was, that girl he’d seen in his dreams.

She was trying not to show pain in her face, but Severus read it in her mind. He was at her side almost immediately, just like the time he had shared the pain with her when she brewed him that potion. It never was so sudden before, usually it was light, and gradually became more severe, but now she was clutching her stomach wishing for it to go away.

“Its your body’s natural reaction, you haven’t had the subsission potion and the subsided energy is expelling itself.”

“WHAT?”

“Just… just change!”

“What my clothes? This is hardly-”

“No your form!”

Adrienne didn’t want to. She rarely did it. But she did.

The pain was immediately gone as soon as she turned. But now she was a wolf, on all fours staring up at her professor. Her ears were flat against her head as she made the softest whine.

“Your body doesn’t agree with you keeping all that power locked away for so long.”

Instinctively, like you would with any soft animal Severus reached out and rand his hand over her head as she leaned into the side of his leg and tried to go back to sleep.