Rabidity

Recognition

Adrienne thought about her mothers life, it wasn’t very long. Adrienne had only lived nearly half that.

She had no skills to live amongst muggles, television horrified her, the muggles were stupid and held no real minds against any wizard.

She had also no talent as a witch. The subsission spells cast on her, and the potions she drank did nothing to calm her focus, a muggle doctor called it ”ADD.” Sounded absolutely silly when he said it. The fact that her body work ten times that of any normal being, muggle or not, also kept her concentration at bay; her body temperature always topped one hundred. And she found senses in everything, she could hear strange noises from far away, smell scents that had been gone for days. And as magnificent these gifts may seem, they made Adrienne feel like a freak,

Had Dumbledore really told her the truth? Could she have had a chance at Hogwarts?

It didn’t matter now, because soon she would be with her mother, soon sweet death would consume her.

Only one small hitch was found in her plan to peacefully slip away… and that was the headmaster that stood before her.

Her vision was now fading.

She realized that he must’ve foreseen this, and planned to come here. Her vision was almost black before she noticed her body lift from the ground; lifted by an unseen form. Before she slipped away she saw a slight look of disappointment in the headmaster’s eyes.

________________________________________________________________________

Albus was disappointed; such a bright woman, so unique, yet so readily to take her life. Severus was instructed to return her to the hospital wing back at Hogwarts. And with a loud ‘pop’ he was gone.

Albus arrive only seconds after Severus. Madame Pomfrey was ready to tend to her, she had no worried look on her face, Adrienne would live despite her wishes moments ago.

“Severus. I believe I will invoke the ministry’s law of underage wizards and housing terms. The one about school guardianship over an underage witch or wizard.”

“Ah. Playing the legal end headmaster?”

“Well she may only have another month until she is of age, but I intend to keep her here until then. I also require you time for only a moment more Severus.”

“Yes?”

“Adrienne Knox is a pure blood, perhaps you remember her mother in your very class, she was also a Slytherin.”

“The name merely rings a bell.” He said flatly.

“Well I assume placing her in a Slytherin house will be substantial, you know the nature of her being here and can keep a close eye on her, as well as a few private lessons.”

“That’s quite a bit of my time headmaster.”

“Oh Severus, don’t be silly. I’m not finished yet. I also find that Ms. Knox requires a very strong subsission spell, probably once a week.”

“Subsission?” Severus questioned. “You’re sure anti-depressants aren’t what she needs?”

“No subsission my dear friend. That is all she needs, and she’ll find concentration to be a new ability.”

“As you wish sir.”

“You may return to your work Severus. Oh, and please start that potion right away.”
_______________________________________________________

Severus turned from the gray haired man and began the long stretch back to the dungeons. His cloak billowed behind him, he strut with immense force, he always walked fast.

A subsission potion would be immensely easy for him to brew, he wondered that perhaps her depression had something to do with her ability to concentrate and perform magic. He merely shrugged her from his thoughts.

He began the potion, and while he was waiting for the wormwood to stew he began grading a few essays, his mind easily traveling back to Adrienne Knox. He would have to teach her privately? And Dumbledore just gave him to her like an oaf, no sorting, just a simple placement in Slytherin. She better be a true Slytherin. he thought.
_________________________________________________________

Adrienne awoke confused. She vaguely remembered seeing Dumbledore before here while she lay on the floor bleeding. But now she realized that she wasn’t imagining it.

Dumbledore sat before her once more.

“Ah my dear!” he said aloud. “I was worried you might not come about.”

Adrienne’s arms were bandaged from wrist to elbow. Self inflicted wounds were harder to heal, she remembered reading that somewhere.

“I don’t suppose you’ve considered my offer?” he asked.

Adrienne stared at his zealous question. Wasn’t it obvious?

“Only for a moment Headmaster.”

“Well…?”

“Well… I didn’t think that I would have time to occupy my thoughts will school.” She said flatly, already assuming she’d be dead by now.

“Do you wish to return home?” he asked, Adrienne nodded in compliance. “And I assume you’d want to be left alone.” She closed her eyes and nodded again. “Well perhaps this may change your mind.”

He let a large book take over the bed where she lay, a yearbook of sorts.

“If this is my mothers I do not wish-“

“No not your mothers. I am showing this because you obviously still harbor some sort of death wish.” Adrienne’s mouth shut while his hand flicked and the pages turned. They fluttered until it found a page of seventh years.

“Do you know who that is?” he said pointing to a handsome boy.

Adrienne read the title to the side. “Apparently: Tom Marvolo Riddle.” She said aloud.

“Do you know who he is?” she shook her head no.

“He is the very same dark wizard that haunts us today.” Dumbledore whisperd.

“You mean…. Voldemort?”

“Yes, I mean him.” His hand flicked once more, the pages turned back a bit until she saw the very same man in a small group of people, two other boys and a girl, Adrienne studied the faces of the boys, one with white hair, the others dark. Her attention drew to the pretty girl Tom had his arm around, and Adrienne recognized herself.