Rabidity

Animadversion

Now what? He couldn’t very well interrupt whatever it was the Dark Lord planned to do. It already wasn’t safe sneaking off behind his back, let alone fighting him for the girl? He couldn’t – they would be killed in an instant, the both of them.

Severus made himself think of that girl that had sat in the dungeons, giving him snide remarks. She had so eagerly wanted to learn from him and the other professors, and when she argued with him, they argued. Severus put up with it because this girl was in fact quite interesting to talk to – and their arguments, were almost like sport to him. She was the only student with enough guts to talk back to him time and time again.

She had been the one that wanted this position.

But Snape had been the one to scare he back into reality.

Severus could only pray to Merlin that she could somehow return to that eager girl: The one who wanted to take down the Dark Lord, and would do anything to make it happen. Even if she had to ‘entertain’ him for whatever situation. She had been so brave.

She had even been so brave as to kiss her own professor, her protector; who had yet again, failed.
_______________________________________________

Adrienne was somewhere lost within her own head. When the Dark Lord came to her that night she found that despite what was happening around her, things were very different within her head. Those walls that Severus had taught her to make were always built, always ready. The only thing she felt she could do was crawl behind them and hide, hide herself, hide everything she is.

That’s why she only had fragments of what happened.

She faintly remembered him commenting on her resemblance to Daygona.

What fear that girl must’ve had in his presence. Adrienne was sure that in school it must’ve started out exciting, and dangerous. Daygona got to spend her nights with Tom Riddle, being envied by girls around her, and getting concerns from professors.

She must’ve enjoyed it all, up until she couldn’t handle it anymore: the deaths, the murder, the pain. She eventually realized that she was surrounded by the darkest of magic, and she was in too deep. All she could do was run, but that still ended in her death.

“At least your blood is pure.”
“You’re no better than those dogs.”
“You will answer to me.”


Only a few of his words stood out in her mind. She was only alive because she was a pure blood she knew that. But what made her curious was her transfiguration. It was tainted with that of a werewolf. And for some reason Dark Lord was risking that being passed on… Adrienne believed that he must still love Daygona somehow. He must want whatever child he had to look like her.

She remembered fabric tearing, crying, her fear, and incredible pain.

She wished that it hadn’t been him. That it hadn’t happened like this. She wished she could’ve shared something so intimate with someone she cared for… and that made her think of Severus; someone who she had known for a short while. But it the time she spent so close to him, she was transfixed by his infinite wisdom about magic and potions. She now knew that he indeed kept walls around certain things, and by kissing him she was prying.

She shook those thoughts from her head.

She was now lying upon her bed with disheveled sheets. She had them folded around her, trying to cover up whatever had happened to her. She remembered ending up on the floor – where she curled into a ball.

She sat up, she kept the sheet close to her chest when she noticed Narcissa. She came over to calm her. Narcissa had been beside her, silently casting a spell for the small bump on her head, cooling it, making it swell less. She looked into this woman’s eyes and saw the most compassion. Not only was she beautiful, but she seemed so kind. Adrienne quite liked her, even if she followed the Dark Lord.

“I brought you some clothes, I figured you might need them.” Narcissa whispered to her in the dark.

“Thank you.” Adrienne told her. Adrienne’s voice was monotone, and lacked emotion. Narcissa could tell. Everyone already assumed what had happened, and few felt sorry for her, many did wonder why she freely walked into the hands of the Dark Lord. Adrienne had to remember to put that face back on, the one that said: ‘I know what I’m doing.’

Narcissa’s attention to her health reminded her of Severus… and she remembered when he was last in here was when she had kissed him, only hours ago – and Adrienne already missed him. But she took the comfort that was given from Narcissa, and forgot all about him as she fell asleep.
_________________________________

The only thing Severus kept thinking about was Lily.

He didn’t know why he compared Adrienne to Lily; he knew it was all too similar to him. Lily was a dear, and long lost friend to Severus – and although he loved her, he let her go, he let her be with James. And even though he let her slip away, and begin her life somewhere else ...away from him, he always kept a close eye on her, he always wanted to protect her. And the night she was killed... nearly killed him. He had done the right thing, warned the right people, yet still she died that night. And yet again he was in the same position. He worked to protect this girl, and it seemed like every chance he got – he failed. It was his fault she was even here, all of this was his fault.

Severus received several strange looks. Several death eaters where loitering in the drawing room of the Malfoy manor, which was where Severus originally sat for peace and quiet, but the others found him quickly – and he chose to ignore them rather than to make a scene and leave.

Severus however had a hard time containing the anger boiling over within himself. These men could think of nothing but Adrienne, either that they thought she was stupid, or some loose tramp. Severus wanted to hex the men that thought about seeing her naked. He nearly smacked the back of one of their heads when he began to ‘cheer’ on the Dark Lord in whatever it was he might be doing. Severus had to contain himself, he always did… but this time was very hard. Every ounce of him wanted to protect her. (And even a part of him wanted that kiss to be more than just a kiss. But he would never admit that to himself.)

“Severus.” Ether Crowley said, he was ignored, but he persisted: “Severus.”

“What.” He stared blankly.

“You didn’t… I mean… she was your student right?” Crowley asked. Severus gave him a nod. “So you never got your hands on that sweet ass? I mean if I were teaching potions or whatever – I would’ve definitely bent that over my desk a few times.”

It took the strength of three giants to pull back what Severus was about to do to this man. Instead he simply answered: “You better be careful what you say, that girl is his, don’t give him a reason to kill you.”

“Come on, you can’t think for one second he’s really going to be around all the time, leave someone to watch, and you can’t honestly think he’ll care that –“

Crowley’s sentence was cut short when he was thrown across the room, by none other than the dark lord himself. Obviously angered by Crowley’s assumption.

“Let me make myself clear…” Voldemort hissed, anger seething through his tongue. “If I find out you so much as look at that girl, I will kill you. She is to be protected – especially since she will carry my heir. Am I clear?”

Nagini seemed to have found herself back to reside at her masters feet. The men now cowering, nodded their heads. “Severus… always so loyal,” he hissed, “please come.” The Dark Lord turned from the room and Severus followed close behind him, “the girl must be watched over closely, I do not want anyone near her except you or Narcissa. – and do inform me when she is with child.”

“Yes my Lord.” And before Severus could ask anymore questions, Voldemort disapparated into the night. Now with him gone from the manor, Severus realized his arms and legs were shaking.

He truly had failed. And he blamed no one, but himself.
_____________________________________________

Severus waited hours before finally entering Adrienne’s room. Many death eaters seemed to linger if they did not have a specific task to complete. And he wanted to make sure others assumed he’d left so that a visit to her room would go unnoticed.

And there she was, sleeping.

Another night by this girls bedside, but it was one more than he’d thought he’d have. He expected to be underground in France by this time – but here he was, still at the Malfoy Manor. Narcissa had brought her a long sleeved shirt to hide her mark, and no doubt hide the bruises that Severus could see forming on other exposed parts of her body. He may not have put them there, but he had put her here, it might as well been him. He moved a chair nearer to the bed, and sat – although he knew that sleep would not take him.

Apparently it hadn’t taken Adrienne either – because she was looking at him with the widest doe-like eyes he’d ever seen. He didn't know how long she'd been watching. But there she was, whites clearer than the moonlight.

“No sleep for you either?” he asked her quietly.

“A little, not much.”

Severus freed the wand from his pocket and was ready to cast a sleeping spell, but he stopped when Adrienne put her hand on his, lowering his wand. For some reason she did not want him to cast the spell. His hand fell to the edge of the bed, and hers stayed on top of it. She still lay motionless and calm… her demeanor surprised Severus.

“It’s okay you know.” She said to him. He only returned silence. “I chose this.”

“You’re here because of me.” He said back to her

“I was always supposed to be here, whether you brought me or not.”

“I was coming back for you. We can still leave, I’ll take you into hiding.”

“No professor, I need to be here. I’m a good distraction.”

“You shouldn’t be, I swore to protect you.” He was obviously frustrated, “but he got to you before I could.”

Adrienne was tired, and she just wanted to lay in his presence, there she knew she was safe. She realized that after he’d left her – he had made the choice to come back, to rescue her and take her to safety. Something that was not easily done or safe. Adrienne realized he must care about her, just like he did about Draco. He was willing to risk all of that because… because… Adrienne wasn’t sure why he had so briskly changed his mind. Perhaps… he felt something after all.

She coiled his hand closer, and since he was eager to do anything to please her, he let her. He didn't pull back or resist - he just let her fold her arms around his forearm. His hand was so cold, and her's was so warm, she was determined to change them temperature somehow. So they sat for hours, giving glances, resting their eyes. They never fell asleep though, neither of them wanted to, neither of them thought they could.