Rabidity

Cognition

There was a certain discomfort that came along with having a pregnant belly, and Adrienne had experienced it to great extent. Four more months had gone by and that had added to Adrienne’s size and her fear. It was impossible for her to ignore the fact that there was a small child growing within her, and if it hadn’t been tied to the man she loved, she would’ve gone crazy.

But every moment she filled her head with fantasies about Severus. Some would spoil her senses, while others were something that would be unlikely to happen. She secretly hoped that Potter was fulfilling his task with ease and that when the time came, he would defeat the only man that stood between her and Severus.

The two lovers tried to spend time apart, the more they did, the more it helped cover their stories, but it wouldn’t be long before they would find each other again. Adrienne seemed to be the happiest when she could see Severus – even if he was only visiting the Malfoys’ on business. He still brought hope to her, and even though neither of them had admitted to having true feelings for each other – they still felt them all the time. Adrienne would smile at him from across the room, even though his face would stay sullen and focused, Severus would feel a rush of enjoyment when he’d see her happy.

Adrienne would be happy when she could tell that he’d gotten actual rest. So often she’d see him and find that his eyes were deeply dark and sunken from lack of sleep. He often worried about her, the war, and the boy. Adrienne realized that if she kept him with her during visits – he’d often drift off to sleep while he felt safe around her.

Severus was often thinking of her, and she of him. Almost as if their minds were inseparable, yet each person was hiding very important and worrisome things. Severus had kept keen tabs on the other death eaters, hearing whispers of Potter and his associates. The vault at Gringotts had been infiltrated, more horcruxes destroyed, all good things, except for the fact that the Dark Lord was aware of Potter’s plans, and it was their job to do anything to stop him.
___________________________________________________

Adrienne watched as the house elf handed the medi-wizard several vials and herbs. Muggle doctors carried metal instruments, and computers, while the medi-witches relied on their magic and the Earths provisions. Adrienne calmly shut her eyes while she waited for the doctor to be finished. With a swollen stomach she like to be able to walk when she wanted, and she had been sitting now for over an hour.

They felt that since Adrienne only had a short period of time left before the baby was born that another Doctor should accompany Narcissa in Adrienne’s care. Adrienne had learned that her doctor, Kieburn, was an old classmate of Severus’. Kieburn was wholesome and kind to her, and he often complimented the impeccability of the potions Severus provided for the both of them. Adrienne felt safer knowing that Kieburn knew Severus, and she suspected that there had always been some sort of loyalty between them. Kieburn had known of Adrienne’s father, and mother, also informing him of her special needs during full moons. Not only was he able to help her each month, but also he was able to make it easier the entire week of the full moon. Kieburn specialized in lycanthropy genealogy and was aware of every genetic abnormality possible; Adrienne’s wasn’t all that uncommon.

He placed several helpful charms for Adrienne and the baby every few days, also while examining the baby itself – which was the only time Adrienne felt awkward. After her traumatic experiences with Voldemort, she had been uncomfortable with others touching her. Severus was the only one who she found comfort in.

Today Adrienne had learned that the child was of healthy size, and both her and the child were doing well. She took a moment to trace small circles across her belly with her index finger while Kieburn continued to talk to her.

“You know it’s a lot easier these days,” He said, “Raising a family.”

“It’s not mine to raise.” Adrienne lied.

“I can tell you’re happy about it though.” He told her. Adrienne looked at him, surprised.

“I’m not. I’m too young for this.”

“I’ve seen you from across the room, you keep your arms wrapped around this child like you’re already protecting it.”

It was true, Adrienne did not allow many people to touch her, let alone her stomach. She had known for a while now that this child was important to her, but she hadn’t wanted to admit it.

“She’ll be evil.” Adrienne said. Both her and Kieburn took a moment in registering what she said.

“How do you know it’s a girl?” he asked.

Adrienne looked up at him, and back at her stomach, “I don’t know.” She said. She shook her head feeling stupid for saying it, but it had slipped out – she didn’t know how.

“I wouldn’t be surprised, many witches are intuitive like that.” Kieburn said. “I could validate that assumption for you if you wish?” he asked.

Adrienne shook her head no. The pictures of her child already haunted her mind, if she was able to give it a face – she knew that she would never be able to let the Dark Lord touch it. Adrienne had dreamed for weeks now of leaving, of saving herself and her baby. She worried more and more each day the longer this war went on… and even though she was thankful for all Narcissa and her family had done, Adrienne often thought of betraying her.

Kieburn gave a slight sigh now that the conversation had turned cold. Kieburn remembered that Severus had instructed him to take very good care of Adrienne, and inform him of any problems. Kieburn began to pack away his things, including his wand while Adrienne paced around the room. She seemed to like walking, it seemed to calm her in a way that usually most pregnant women did not enjoy. She would lean against her window for no more than a minute and return to pacing for another few minutes.

Kieburn, like all the others, noticed Adrienne’s resemblance to Daygona Black. The long dark hair and alabaster skin were common, but not the slender nose, or the protruding cheek bones. Her full lips seemed to pout right before Adrienne would speak, her wide eyes would flutter and catch the attention of anyone near her. She was beautiful, and with her full face and glowing skin, she was absolutely radiant.

Kieburn replaced the protective and sealed charms outside her door. And spoke to Narcissa for sometime before leaving to visit an old friend. As he had promised, Kieburn reported to Severus after each visit. He could tell that Severus held a deep connection to this girl, but he didn’t see it more than anything a teacher wouldn’t have for a favorite student.

“She’s restless.” Kieburn told him sitting before him in the large Headmasters office. “For someone in her state, lethargy would be more common, but she’s always moving, she always seems worried.”

“Any natural sedative?” Severus asked.

“Nothing that the Dark Lord would allow.”

“Strange girl.” Severus said.

“She worries, for that child. I can see it in her eyes each day that she gets closer to delivering she becomes more fearful.”

Severus exhaled loudly. “I suppose with her predicament, it’s normal.”

“She said something odd today.” Kieburn stated, waiting to see the curious look in Severus’s eyes that he knew he would find.

“Go on.” He said.

“She predicted the child’s gender, almost without even realizing it.”

“How so?” Severus asked.

“She said: ’she is going to be evil.’” Kieburn repeated.

“Well mothers can often fantasize about the gender, hoping for a certain outcome, and… well knowing Adrienne, she knows what is coming for that girl or boy. Any mother would fear that fate.”

“Really Severus? If I were her I’d be more worried about the fact that she won’t live long after the child’s born. You know yourself that her job will be finished, and he won’t keep her around unless she is useful.”

“She may be of use afterwards, we have no way of knowing.”

“She barely grew up in the Wizarding world. She attended school for less that a year, she’s unable to perform magic without the use of your concocted potions she might as well be a squib.”

Severus was silent; knowing that what Kieburn was saying was all but true.

“Thank you Kieburn, I can always count on you.” Severus said, inviting him to leave.

“I’m only doing what you asked.” Kieburn said. “She’s a troubled girl I tell ya.”
____________________________________________________

Severus waited until dark to visit Adrienne. And almost as if Kieburn had predicted the future, Severus could see her, pacing. She was biting her thumbnail; it already looked short, as did the rest of her nails. Severus tapped his fingers against the oak armoire to get her attention.

She looked up at him, almost ecstatic, she walked over to him and wrapped her arms around him. Her stomach slightly separated them, but it didn’t keep her from holding him.

“I heard you’ve been restless.” He stated.

“I’ve been fine…” she said, “but I am tried.”

“From pacing all day?” he asked.

Adrienne looked at him wondering how he’d known, of course Kieburn could’ve mentioned something. “I’m just… worried, I always am.” She said.

“About what little witch?”

Adrienne’s hands dropped to her stomach, rubbing small circles, while her eyes began to water.

“She’s not safe,” was all she could say.

Severus felt jealousy. She wanted this thing inside her. In his head he deeply hoped that once the child was born they could leave, and hide away. But he could tell by the way her hands cupped the curve of her belly that she had become attached.

“I think of leaving all the time… but I don’t want to get Narcissa or her family hurt.”

“We can leave, but after the child is born, I’ll take you away, I’ll hide you.” He said.

Adrienne looked at him, puzzled. Having the child would mean never leaving, as soon as it would be born – Adrienne would lose her. Adrienne was hurt that Severus didn’t have the same feelings as her, but she had to remind herself he did not know, she could not tell him.

“Please stay with me.” She cried. Two tears slid down either side of her face, and Severus was quick to snatch them away with his thumbs.

He laid her down on the bed, hoping that she would rest. But soon she had forced him to lay down too. He had barely had enough time to remove his cloak and settle against a pillow before he was locked into her grasp. He didn’t mind having her against him like this, because the relaxation he felt soon left him in a slumber that he rarely got to enjoy anymore.
___________________________________________________

In the morning Adrienne awoke alone, as usual Severus would sneak away into the night. She felt slightly better talking to him, even though it didn’t help her worry. She had nearly blurted out to him that this… baby, it was his, and he needed to protect it.

She sat up, thinking about the negative consequences that would come of telling him. She noticed that a large black fabric button had fallen off his cloak. She picked it up and thumbed the small object. The stitch had come loose, leaving it free to fall off. Adrienne took a small piece of ribbon that Narcissa had given her, and after threading the ribbon through the button she fastened it to her wrist. For no real reason did she do it, it was just instinctive somehow. It fit snuggly against her wrist, and she liked the way it felt and how it silently reminded her of Severus.

She felt a swift kick from the baby, something that she hadn’t experienced until now. Adrienne’s eyes began to overflow. She had tried to deny that this was happening to her for so long, and everyday it became more apparent that she was going to be a mother. But feeling her stomach she felt excited movement, she pictured her baby girl with her Slytherin demeanor, Adrienne knew that she would have jet black hair, and for some reason Adrienne pictured her baby with Severus’s black pools for eyes. She was going to be Severus’s daughter, even if Adrienne failed, and her baby went on it would never belong to the Riddle family, she would never carry his name.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for being so patient, I tried to make it longer for you all. I hate to say that there aren't a lot of chapters left, a lot of shit's about to go down, and I hope you all make it through.