Rabidity

Ruination

The early morning was something that Severus was used to seeing, the students however were used to a much brighter time of day. He had to interrogate them, it was his job, it was his duty to bring any information foreword about the boy. And with the Carrows always watching his every move, he had to be very careful this year about every move he made. All the times he’d helped Potter, the evenings he snuck away to be with Adrienne. If he ignored the Boy being sighted in Hogsmead – he’d be dead for sure.

He could hear the way the footsteps echoed down the hall, the Carrows yelling for them to ‘keep in line, keep formation.’ The Carrows had run a tightly knit school this year, no one even sneezed without them knowing. Severus was highly disgusted when the Dark Lord ordered them to practice the Unforgivable Curses in the regular curriculum. He had felt very sorry for the first years.

He stood at the front of the Great Hall where the Headmaster stood every day at mealtime. He was almost in a daze; he hoped that this would be simple, and over quickly. His mind wasn’t completely in the Great Hall as it was wandering far off to think about Adrienne, her safety, and those last words they spoke together.

The students had been waiting for him to address them for some time now. He was suitably menacing whiles standing before them, scanning the crowed for frightened faces.

He took a moment to walk among the students, looking for any guilty faces.

The way that Potter so casually walked out to him made his stomach twist. The boy had bravery, like his mother. And those eyes… they stared at him while he shamed him for standing where his dear friend once stood. The pain of what he had done had washed over him, he didn’t know what to do here, he only knew that the boy must remain unharmed.

His wand was at the ready, but the moment he saw Minerva move to protect the boy, he could only hope that she would remain unharmed. He could have stunned her right there, easily. But the flares she sent from her wand were obvious warnings, like a mother lion protecting her cub. He effortlessly reverted the flares to the two Carrow’s standing behind him, leaving Voldemort’s only true followers unconscious.
*****

Severus was slightly shaken when he reached the Malfoy manor, he wasn’t sure what he was doing, what he was going to do, or why he was even here. It was likely Draco and Lucius were at the Dark Lord’s side, and that he would be able to find Narcissa and Adrienne, alone. He sighed quietly while he walked amongst the halls with his wand at the ready.

Was his plan to take her away? Just talk? Run?

He wouldn’t find out, as he found the house was empty.

The room that Adrienne had been confined to for many months was now empty, and bare. Severus supposed it had always been this bare, yet he hadn’t noticed due to the way Adrienne seemed to brighten everything around her. Perhaps she was in hiding, he looked at the empty space and could only wonder. He tried not to feel too much regret when he looked at the fireplace. He had escaped there, just the other night – leaving her so alone… when he shouldn’t have. Now he didn’t know how long it would be until he saw her again.

As precaution, he left to check the rest of the house, perhaps someone knew where she was, or even what was about to happen. The entire Wizarding world relied on the outcome of this war, something about to take place. Many Witches and Wizards only had hours left to live.

He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw his old friend, Kieburn. He touched the side of his face. Kieburn was lying in the middle of the hall, glasses askew, dead. No doubt, killed by the killing curse. After a moment of hesitation he began to close the eyes of the man who was giving him a dead stare.

There weren’t obvious signs of struggle, just a dead man in the middle of the floor. Severus saw that his wand was underneath his body, he had tried to protect himself, or someone – perhaps Severus should fear the worst. He rushed to check the rest of the house, but he couldn’t even find an elf to tell him what had happened. He took a seat in the study; he had nothing to do but wait.

After a short period of time he felt his mark begin to burn. Those able were to report to Hogwarts, and prepare for a fight. If the Dark Lord managed to defeat Potter, he knew any chance of being with Adrienne would become shattered, he only hoped that from his help, and Albus’s the boy would’ve been able to overcome the obstacles before him. But Severus knew the hardest part of his journey would take place tonight, Harry would die… for all of them and to defeat him.

Severus was startled when he realized that Lucius had been watching him while he had been in his pensive state. His friend had grown very ill this past year dealing with the Dark Lord’s orders. And Lucius had once been thought of as a great follower, yet Severus saw that the moment Malfoy became a part of this deadly game of followers that Lucius, along with Narcissa became insanely worried. Like Severus, Lucius’s eyes showed lack of sleep, worry, and fear.

“He… wishes to speak with you.” He said solemnly, like he was a dog hiding due to cowardice.

Severus stood and made his way to the doorway.

“What happened?” he asked gesturing down the hallway.

“I… wasn’t here.” He said pausing, he swallowed hard, “Narcissa was. You can ask her later, but the Dark Lord-“

“Yes. -wishes to speak with me at once.

Lucius nodded his head, and stood aside so that Severus could pass by. He took one more look at his friend’s body down the hall before disapparating.
*****

The unsightly state of the shrieking shack was something that always intrigued Severus, the way the walls were warped, their hidden secrets, and their history.

He found the abnormal form of Tom Riddle pacing a rather large room in the house. Nagini was present, never far from the Dark Lord. Severus now stood, waiting for the Dark Lord’s address – over which he was puzzled.

“…My Lord, their resistance is crumbling-“

“-and it is doing so without your help, skilled wizard though you are, Severus, I do not think you will make much difference now. We are almost there… almost.”

“My Lord – let me… bring you the boy, I know I can find him!”

“As you know I have procured several wands to aid me in killing the boy… yet… all have failed. And I worry that this master wand will also leave the task unfulfilled. It keeps power from me Severus… and I think you know why.”

Severus was silent. As he had many silent fears while working for Voldemort, some he hoped he would not have to deal with – but here he was standing before him looking guilty. It was obvious what the Dark Lord was prying at, yet Severus couldn’t speak, he could only fidget.

“That… cloak, Severus.”

“My… lord?”

“It’s awfully worn, tattered, missing a button too.”

“I apologize if my attire happens to insult you in some way…” Severus trailed off, he was lost in trying to figure out why Voldemort had taken such a keen interest on something as simple as his clothing.

“Only that… you seem to have crossed me in more ways than one.” Voldemort hissed. Severus could hear the angered tone in his voice. What he knew did not make him happy.

“My lord, I do not know what you speak of.”

“Of course Severus, I only find it curious that Ms. Knox happens to keep your cloak button… around her wrist. Or… did, I should say.”

“My Lord-“ Severus began, but stopped his sentence short when he realized what that statement meant.

“You have betrayed me Severus. And for what? Pleasure? The girl was merely a pawn in this game, and I can do quite well without her.”

“What are you saying my Lord, I don’t know-“

“Severus!” he snapped, his anger was evident, it had been brewing the moment he saw Severus’s face, and now he would punish him for what Severus did. “The wand will serve to me, and me alone once you are dead. But it was a shame to find out that you had betrayed me… after all this time. If you had kept your loyalty, I would’ve ensured that your death be quick and painless… but now I must resort to other means.”

“My Lord! Please! Let me… bring you the boy… let me prove-“

“Severus, the moment you touched what was mine you should’ve known the consequences would be dire, as they were for Ms. Knox.”

“What have you done to her? Hurt- hurt me, but not her!” Severus cried. The moment he spoke those words he realized he had solidified his feelings for Adrienne, those silent, yet prominent feelings; they had found their way through his heart and out his lips.

“So… you do know what I speak of, no longer wishing to fake ignorance? Don’t worry Severus I assure you that it is far too late to change her fate. I ended her life hours ago – along with the child’s. Such a shame to go to all that work just to have it go to waste! I suppose though… I would not have taken any chances.”

“My-“ Severus’s eyes filled with solid tears. He felt the next words the Dark Lord spoke were a slight… blessing.

“Nagini… Kill

Severus’s heart sank through the floor while he watched the snake slither it’s way across the floor… his death and been imminent, but Adrienne’s… again he made the mistake of thinking she was safe. He couldn’t bear to think the terror that she had gone through, on her own… after what they had last spoken to each other. He could only cry out in agony as the snake ripped at his throat, he felt that he deserved this pain, but the agony he felt, that was for her.

The worst part was when he was forced to re-live one last glance of Lily before his eyes shut completely, and the pain consumed him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wanted to combine book with movie, they're both portrayed so well I wanted to include parts from each. And I'm sorry for the long awaited update. I've had family in the hospital and I haven't had time to write. Please be aware that this IS NOT the last chapter. There are several more along the way. This is but a CLIFFHANGER. Thanks, I'll post soon. :)