Rabidity

Contemplation

Time seemed scarce. When the sudden knowledge of magic was available to her she practice almost every hour of every day. It was common for her to forget to eat, and Kino would usually bring her something small to keep her energy going. Since her first classes she had excelled through several level one books as well as level two, and three. She was learning fast. She also brewed another potion, one that only had a short period of time left until it was complete. She felt satisfied with her time spent, and was very eager and excited to learn more.

Her second potion was nearing completion and she was prepared to finish it with the utmost care. She had used a generous amount of Wexlax, and if heated to a certain point, it would surely incinerate her entire room. They only thing she had know about her father was the only thing her mother told her. He had been a marvel at potions just like she, and even better at the dark arts. She remembered her mother telling her about the potion he brewed for her when they first began to see each other. It was a difficult potion, one that wizards rarely completed, it was dangerous to brew, as well as strenuous. She had to wake up several times that night in order to properly continue the potion and not cause half of the school to implode. She was curious if Professor Snape would chastise her for brewing such a dangerous potion, or praise her.

She bottled the potion when it was completed. It shimmered from the candle light. The dark potion was heavy. The magic seemed to grab all the ingredients and hold their weight – it was the only way you can tell this potion from liquid death. Although the same color, smell and taste – liquid death brought inevitable death upon the drinker, Adrienne had brewed Concoula. A potion that when drunk gave the person incredible defense against many forms of magic. One could even drink a vial of liquid death following the consumption of Concoula and still live.

Her mother had been bullied by several girls while at school, they’d put hexes on her and laugh as she stumbled to find safety from their games – her father took pity on her mother and kept her safe by brewing her this potion, however it puzzled Adrienne that he would go so far to protect her, and then flee before his first child was born. She pushed the thought of her parents from her mind, it brought an unbearable pain in her stomach. She sat and waited for the pain to disperse, and after what seemed like hours she realized she had to run to make her class with professor Snape.

With a pain still residing in her side she knocked on the office door. It creaked open on it’s own – allowing her entry. She found several books stacked upon a desk, along with parchment and a quill. ”Homework.” she frowned. Severus Snape was looking down at her, his tall dark figure was quite transfixing and intimidating. She felt fear from him because his eyes seemed tired, and his face quite vexed, like he was somewhere else.

“Professor.” She spoke. Clutching the vial in her hands. His mind seemed to click back to reality.

“Yes, Knox. Let’s see what you managed to brew.” She held out the vial in her hand and he simply looked at the potion and smiled. “Liquid death is not something of Bevarti’s.”

Adrienne smile back, knowing that she had caught him in his mistake. A master of potions would surely realize that Bevarti’s created it’s twin.

Snape continued: “-You can find Liquid Death in the seventh year text books.”

“Professor,” she stated, “Is something bothering you… perhaps distracting you?” she asked. His vexed expression seemed appalled.

“No. Now I have many materials here for you to read, completely, and I expect a summary of what you knew, learned, and want to know.”

“Because… I’m only at seventh year level?”

“Precisely.” He said back.

“Well here.” She said. Reaching the potion towards him.

“Liquid Death, hardly a potion that should be in the hands of a suic-“ he stopped midsentence. Just before he said something he would have regretted. Adrienne still knew what he was going to say, but it only confirmed her suspicion of him being the one accompanying Albus that night. She raised one eyebrow and looked at him cautiously. He surveyed the weight of the vial in his hand, moving his arm up and down he realized his simple mistake. He had doubted this girl.

“Bevarti’s Concoula.” He said out loud.

“Gotcha.” She said slyly. “Does this mean I can skip the essay?”

“Yes. You… you may go Ms. Knox.”
____________________________________________

The girl left Severus’s office. He sat back in his chair and studied the potion in his hands. He suddenly realized that he did in fact know who her mother was. He remembered a shy girl from his class, she excelled in every subject, and because of that she was ridiculed. They said she was a freak for being so smart, some accused her of brewing memory attainment potions… but Severus knew the truth, he had known this girls father, he had paid Severus to brew this potion for Adrienne’s mother. And now it was clear to him as to why she enjoyed the subsission potions so much, the Dogwood was pleasing to her father’s senses as well.
Severus was caught up in old school memories that his mark was nearly burning by the time he noticed. He was being summoned. He shook the old thoughts from his mind and casually left his office and disapparated into the night.
____________________________________________

Adrienn’s stomach pain had subsided by the time she retuned to her dorm. Tomorrow she had hours with McGonagall and Flitwick, she was slightly displeased because she quite enjoyed surprising professor Snape with her talents. She swore she could almost see a glimmer of admiration. She opened the door to her dorm and found the Headmaster sitting in front of her fireplace eating crumpets. She was startled at first, and then collected herself shortly after.

“I’ve arrived here because I received word from several paintings that you had been brewing a very dangerous potion, and as headmaster I am obligated to inspect that.”

“Of course headmaster. But I’m all finished now, nothing exploded.”

“Exploded? Good heavens girl, what were you brewing?”

“Um. Concoula, sir.”

“Ah… so you and professor Snape seem to be having a Bevarti’s game going on. I’m sure he’s quite pleased.”

“He seemed so. Well, as pleased as he can seem.” At her comment the Headmaster laughed.

“Yes that poor man, he does so much work for me as well as the order.”

“The order?”

“Yes, my dear, the Order of the Phoenix. Majority of those trying to destroy Tom Riddle are a member.” He said eyeing her cautiously. Suddenly, Adrienne seemed to believe that he hadn’t come here to ask her about any potion.

“What is it you expect me to do exactly… I know you’ve left it up to me, but I would like you to tell me what to do.”

“I can’t do that.”

“The way I see it if you gave me option A, and option B, I’d choose B anyway, I’d just have more explination.” She said as she sat down in the armchair across from him. He offered her a crumpet, she shook her head no and summoned a coffee in to the empty cup beside her. Albus smiled, no doubt noticing her remarkable skills in only a short period of time.

Dumbledore smile at her, “My dear your place is here. But have you ever been in love?”

“No sir.”

“Well Tom Riddle was. So much that he in fact killed her when she tried to leave him. She was so distraught at the amount of people he killed she attempted to hide herself away somewhere in France. And before Riddle had his run in with Potter, he had found her – and killed her – forever making her his.”

“And you think that Tom Riddle… Voldemort… would be distracted enough that Perhaps Potter would have more of a fighting chance?”

“I’m saying love has the power to influence things so easily. And perhaps if you’re there… steering him away from something Potter does could come in handy.”

“I understand.” She said smiling.

“I knew you would. However I will be very disappointed to lose you as a student here.”

“I know, but I would prefer it to be this way.”

“Your father you know –“

“Please don’t talk about him.” She asked, the pain in her stomach was growing again at the thought of him.

“As you wish. I’m afraid that my time my be compromised, and that Potter will have to embark on a grave journey all on his own, I fear that his safety will be at stake.”

“Headmaster, thank you for this opportunity.” Albus simply looked at the girl, his face read sadness. He knew that it was part of her destiny to do this, but he did not want such a smart girl to die so young, but even Albus knew when one has a wish for death, one will almost always find it.