Rabidity

Admiration

Severus had returned from a long night visiting the Malfoy manor. Draco was in trouble and he could see it. The Dark Lord was becoming impatient with him and would soon find him incomparable. It pained him to be in the presence of such frightened people. And then there were those who lacked a soul – all those death eaters that killed mercilessly he could feel flashes of pain from their victims. His natural talent for Legilimency didn’t help his cause to block it all out, he was always preoccupied with Occlumency trying to keep the Dark Lord from entering his mind was a difficult task, and the others… their minds seemed to spill over onto him when he’d search them for any useful information. He was always exhausted from these meetings, and when a knock arose on his door he had no desire to answer it. But he knew who it was – he politely told Adrienne that he was much too tired to cover any such lesson. He laid his head upon his desk and fell asleep just sitting there, as he fell asleep so quickly he was unable to take any dreamless sleep potion, so he awoke only moments later in fear from the dark images he had seen.
_________________________________________________________

Adrienne could tell her professor was not lying when he apologized for being too tired. His eyes read dread and pain, something often associated with lack of sleep. She realized that her day was free now. She had already practiced charms, and transfiguration. She thought a walk might be nice, but then she had the most brilliant idea.

She found her room again and began to brew another difficult potion. Although complicated this potion went by quickly if you knew the short cuts Adrienne did. For over an hour she stirred and simmered the potion, it was finally complete when it turned a lovely shade of green. It was said that a Slytherin concocted this potion long ago – although no one knew for sure… but it was awfully peculiar that it seemed to turn a shade of green for no reason.

Adrienne found herself back at the dungeons. Professor Snape was due to teach class in half an hour. She could see by the light underneath the door that he must be inside, still awake. She suddenly felt silly giving him this, he was a master at potions and he could brew this no doubt with his eyes shut. But she let the vial roll underneath the door anyways and left.

She still had time for a walk – she found that she didn’t get to fully enjoy it because she ran into a celebrity, Harry Potter.

“You.” He said almost instantly as he saw her. She glared at him, his tone was almost rude.

“What.” She said back in a guarding tone.

“What do you and Dumbledore go on about during your little private chats? Who are you anyway?”

“Well… one, none of your business, two, none of your business.”

“Answer me. There are a lot of things going on here you wouldn’t understand. And I need to know if Dumbledore is telling you something.”

“Anything Dumbledore would tell me would not involve you Potter. Don’t worry, I’m on your side.”

“Listen if you know anything –“

“I’ll tell ya! Alright Potter? I don’t know anything new.”

“Well can you start by telling me what you know about the past then?”

“Yeah. I guess I can – but it’s not going to be any help.”

Together they sat, Adrienne filled Harry in on the fact that she was Tom’s former girlfriend’s doppelganger. Harry found it confusing until he realized that she was in danger, if Voldemort saw her he’d surely kill her or take her.

“So Dumbledore wants you here to keep you safe.”

“Well that is what Dumbledore wants yes.”

“What he wants? What is it you want?”

“Well if I was with him… I could lead him away from you.”

“But that would be suicide.”

“Well for a cause…”

“No. Far too many people have died for this. You can’t be the next.”

“Well it’s not you choice Harry. But Thanks for the concern.” She left Harry just as the sun was about to set, although this girl was blunt – Harry felt that somehow he felt he could trust her. She seemed to be clear headed.
________________________________________________________

Only a half hour until Severus had to teach his class. He hated the days where his classes ran later. His brain almost didn’t want to function, he cold brew something but he had no energy not even enough to pull out his wand. He hadn’t slept in days and his body was making him pay the price, he began to think about what terribly large essays he could assign the students so that he may have peace and quiet while the worked, then he heard the sound of tinkling glass across the floor. Over his desk he saw a vial make its way across the room. His curiosity generated enough energy for him to mutter a summoning charm from under his breath. The potion flew across the room and into his hand. He recognized it instantly.

Evigilum. The Awake potion.

He looked at the green liquid and with a slight sniff he smelled the vibrant fruit blossoms as well as something similar to morning rain. He smiled knowing it had to come from Adrienne, she was by far the best student he’d ever had in potions. She was absolutely exceptional – and after last time he felt that she didn’t even need to take any classes from him but she was kind, and helpful. He drank the potion and felt like he had just awoken from a long nights rest.

He was able to teach class and monitor the students as they brewed a simple potion. He sat behind his desk grading essays while the potion was still working. Then he would have less work to do tomorrow when he woke up late.

Although while working he noticed something peculiar about the potion he had ingested. He had used Evigilum before and even brewed it himself. And he had never had these strange occurrences before. He found happiness in his thoughts about running through the forest, moonlight, potions, he realized that these seemed to be aspects of Adrienne. He suddenly realized that within the amount of time he spoke to her, and when the potion arrived that there was not enough time to properly brew a batch of Evigilum, she had cut corners by using a drop of her own blood instead of a hummingbird's – that is why he was sensing flashes of her life and he found it quite odd that they weren’t dark at all. They were simply peaceful.