Rabidity

Altercation

Severus was puzzled that evening. A girl that had such pleasant feelings shouldn’t be trying to take her own life. He sat upright in his bed, he prayed that the Dark Lord didn’t call upon him, the potion was wearing off and soon his eyes would force themselves shut against his will.

And when they did Severus found himself in a dream world without nightmares. Fields of flowers, green trees, and a slight wind that cooled his face. He spent what seemed like an eternity in that place, and suddenly without warning it was night – he heard a howling of a wolf, not just any wolf but a werewolf. The shocking red eyes terrified him and made him awake immediately. His hair was wet and shiny, his shirt clinging to his chest. The only thought that plagued him was that this was not his dream, this had been someone else’s.
___________________________________________________________

Adrienne awoke from her dream. The howl still seemed to ring in her ears from that frightful night. She wished she often dreamed of dream worlds, not memories. Her stomach began to ache – leaving a pulsing she could feel in the pits of her stomach. She tried to get out of bed to find a pain potion, but it only worsened the pain as she stood – and then she doubled over onto the floor.

She rested her head on the dark green carpet. The floor was at least soft. Her body tried to make her rest to deal with the pain, but she fought it – often waking to a dark room. After repeating this several times she finally saw a face that met hers. How Professor Snape had gotten into her room she did not know. But she noticed that she was being carried somewhere… the hospital wing… again.
___________________________________________________________

Severus left her pained body and headed for the door. Madame Pomfrey tried to stop him, but he refused. His mark was burning. It was nearly four in the morning, and hopefully the dark lord didn’t keep him for long.

He disapparated as soon as he could and found himself outside the Malfoy manor, once again. Bellatrix greeted him at the door like always and allowe him inside. His stern face was locked in place and he occasionally would reach out and sift through others minds in hopes of finding something helpful for the order. He kept his own mind shut and far away from the Dark Lord, if he even for a moment realized that Severus could be a spy, he would be tortured and killed shortly after.

Severus found that he was not in fact meeting with the Dark Lord, but rather several of the death eaters. They had all been called there to discuss with each other the best means of breaching the castle in the coming months. Lucius Malfoy seemed to speak for Draco, who was actually standing silently in the corner of the room.

As expected they would use the cabinet that Draco had been mending. And the rest would be pure chaos as long as Bellatrix was there calling the shots. Severus left before they were finished discussing the plan – and he forced Draco a long with him. School would be starting in a matter of hours and these days neither of them needed to look more tired then they already were to avoid whatever suspicion they could, because that Potter boy was always looking for an excuse to point his boney little fingers at them.
____________________________________________________________

He directed Draco back to the dorms with a simple point of a finger, and when he found himself walking past the hospital wing he had a glimmer of curiosity. He poked his head in and saw the girl he’d brought there earlier, awake. She had been looking at the door all along, and now he couldn’t very well leave. He made his way over to her bed and waited for her to ask the question he already knew she would ask.

“How do you know?”

“Well when you cut certain corners in potion brewing… like you did…. One can find that certain connections can be sustained for a short while.”

“Oh. So we’re connected?”

“For a short while, I doubt it still lingers now.”

“Sorry professor, I was only trying to help.”

“I am fully aware of that Ms. Knox. I rarely say this to students, or anyone for that matter… but I appreciated the help.”

“Well you are welcome.”

“Are you alright?”

“You felt it didn’t you?”

“The pain yes, it hit just shortly after the terrifying dream.” He said as the fear in Adrienne’s eyes was noticeable. It was obviously a very private and very frightening thing to her. He now knew her darkest secret it seemed. “Are you aware that I’m highly skilled in Occlumency and legilimency?” he asked.

“No sir.”

“Well even though it was a small connection, it was unintentionally amplified, Its not trouble to forget what I have seen. But I need to know if there is anything I should know…”

“No professor, nothing.”

“It just seemed as though someone who dreams of visually stunning places would have less of a death wish.”

“Well you saw it… you know what I fear.”

“Fearing your father at this point is unethical. I think you have bigger fears.” Severus turned his back on her, and began to leave, but one more thought found its way into his mind. “I just want you to know I know more than you think I do. And I advise you not to do it.” He gave her an utterly stern look and left.

She sat, alone with her thoughts once more. She didn’t fear Voldemort, at least she wouldn’t let herself be afraid – she’d been through worse.

Her professor frightened her. He was the only person that knew more than she wanted them to. Everyone else she’d kept in the dark about her life growing up and now someone knew… her.
__________________________________________________________

It was after dinner when Adrienne burst into her professor’s office unannounced. His head was hung over his deck until she had appeared.

“I don’t know what you’re getting at!”

“Please do not start yelling at me, the number of curses I know that would escort you from this room are endless.”

“No. I don’t know what your talking about, I’m not afraid of anything.”

“Then why are you so keen to deny it?”

“Because I can’t have you thinking something about me that’s not true.” She crossed her arms and shut the door, she heard the click of the latch. She walked to his desk where he was now standing.

“Then prove me wrong.” He said slamming his fist next to him on the desk.

“I’m not afraid to help!” she said as a defense.

“Help how? Buy distracting the Dark Lord? Is that your plan?” he seemed to be tauntung her. His look was concerned, and angry at the same time.

“Nn-no-“

“You know what that entails right? You’re a pretty girl. He’d make you his mistress, no doubt beat you, rape you, and force you to give him an heir.”

“I don’t care I don’t have anything else!

“Then don’t. Stay here. Your talents could very well replace me someday. This is where you belong.”

“Hogwarts? I don’t belong here, I couldn’t even do magic until a week ago.”

“Which reminds me,” he said summoning a vial from within a cupboard across the room. He stood walking over to her, and he placed the vial in her small hand.
“You are an exceptional girl Ms. Knox but I seriously advise you to leave it be. I can’t look after so many of my students to have one walk right into his hands.”

“Why do you even care what I do?”

“Because IVE SEEN HIM!” his voice raised, he took a moment to calm it. “I worked for him. And he is pure evil.”

“I’ve looked in the face of pure evil before.”

“Well he is like nothing you’ve ever seen before. You may barely survive on the fact that you’re a pureblood alone. If you weren’t he’ kill you.”

“Not if he knew me.”

“I know exactly why Dumbledore found you. He told you who you were because it was the right thing to do, but he does not want you to do this.”

“He’d never ask me of that, I know. But I wish to offer it anyways.”

“Well I won’t allow it.”

“I’d like to see you try.”

“Watch me. I’ll start with mandatory lessons. Potions, charms, and defense, all taught by me, here.”

“You can’t keep me penned in like that.”

“Like I said… ‘watch me.”