Status: Unpaused!

The "Z" Word

Escape

Daryl and Slater were sitting back to back. Their ankles were bound with rope as well as their hands, which were tied behind their backs. "We're gonna die," Slater said in a low voice so that their abductors couldn't hear.

"No, I'm going to die. You heard that one say he was keeping you around for awhile."

Slater shivered at the thought. The leader's resemblance to Vinnie Jones in Tooth and Nail had her freaked out. "Don't say that."

Daryl sighed and leaned his head back against hers. "Well, do you have a plan to get out of here, because I can't think of anything."

Slater thought for a few minutes, then remembered the knife in her pocket. She tried to slip her hand into it, but it was impossible. "I have a knife in my pocket," she whispered to Daryl. "But I can't get it out. I'm going to need you to try."

"Okay."

"Wait until after they go to bed though. There's no way we can get our crossbows in time to take them all on. We're too outnumbered."

"Okay."

"Hey!" the leader of the group shouted. "Keep your mouths shut. If I hear anymore noise from the two of you, I'll gag you both."

Slater and Daryl quit talking and sat there in silence until the group went to bed. Once the campfire had been put out and the men were in their tents Slater shifted so that Daryl could easily slip his fingers into her pocket and pull the knife out. He cut his bindings then hers. When he tried to hand her the knife back she shook her head, "Go cut the tires of the vehicles, I'm going to get our crossbows back."

Without waiting for his reply, she headed towards the leaders tent were the two crossbows were. "Are you suicidal?" Daryl whispered to her.

She ignored him and kept walking. Carefully she pulled back the flap of the tent just enough to peek inside. He was asleep. She took a deep breath before tiptoeing into the tent. She grabbed the crossbows and all of the arrows, and as she pulled back the flap to exit the tent she heard, "Where do you think you're going?"

She turned and faced the menace, "I...uh....I...." she was incapable of forming a sentence, and had no time to load a crossbow. When she finally regained her senses she kicked him in the groin and fled the tent. "Daryl!" she shouted, waking up the others in the makeshift camp, "Run!" He looked at her, then at the men emerging from the tents. Without a verbal response, he took off towards the woods, Slater following close behind.

It didn't take her long to catch up to him, and he grabbed her hand so that they wouldn't get separated in the darkness. They could hear shouting behind them, and it wasn't long before a gunshot sounded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Isn't that Daryl's bike?" Andrea asked, seeing the two motorcycles at the end of the road, and a helmet carelessly thrown on the ground.

"I think so," Rick said.

"That one's probably Slater's."

"Let me radio the others and tell them that we're close to them. They can head this way and help us search." Rick pulled the walkie talkie from his belt and pushed the button to talk into it.

Merle answered, "How do you know you're close?"

"I think we've found their bikes. We're at the end of a dirt road about a mile from the house. They're probably in the woods nearby, if you guys want to double back this way and help, that'd be great."

"We'll head that way."

As soon as Rick clipped the walkie talkie back to his belt a gunshot rang out. "What was that?" Andrea asked.

"Sounds like we have company nearby. Let's go." They took off into the woods, running in the direction the shot had come from.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daryl and Slater followed the river back to the pond, and their motorcycles. They were being chased by the others, and every now and then a bullet or an arrow would whirl past them. Slater tripped at one point, but Daryl dragged her along, not allowing her to fall. When they got to the pond, one of the cars was parked nearby, "I told you they'd come looking for us," Daryl said.

"Where are they? We have to find them, and warn them."

"We don't have time. You want to get caught again?"

Slater shook her head.

"That's what I thought." Daryl picked up her helmet and handed it to her, "Put this on, and let's get out of here."

She strapped her crossbow to her back and before putting the helmet on, she said, "We should head towards town, then double back, that way we don't lead them to the house."

"Good plan."