Status: Unpaused!

The "Z" Word

Tension

It was early in the morning. The sun hadn't completely risen, and the moon hadn't completely sunk beneath the horizon yet. The sky was gray and it made the kitchen a very depressing setting. Slater sat alone at the table. A bowl of grapes was sitting in front of her, along with a book and a mug of hot chocolate filled with miniature marshmallows. She dipped her finger in the mug, swirling around the liquid and the marshmallows. She heard footsteps from the stairs, someone was awake. She ignored them as she continued reading. Right as she went to pop a grape into her mouth she seen Daryl out of the corner of her eye. Great! she thought sarcastically. We're alone again.

"You're up early," he mentioned casually.

She didn't respond. He glanced at her before getting a bowl, a box of cereal, and a box of powdered milk from the cabinets.

"What are you reading?" he asked.

"A story about viking warriors that kidnap women and ravish them."

"Does every woman in your books get kidnapped and ravished?"

Slater shook her head, still not looking up at Daryl, "No, just most of them. Others get ravished without being kidnapped."

He smirked as he fixed his cereal than sat down at the table across from her, she still didn't look at him. He watched her as she turned the page. Afterwards, she plucked a grape from her bowl and popped it into her mouth. "So...." he finally said, breaking the awkward silence.

"So what?"

"Are we going to talk about last night?"

"There's nothing to talk about. Nothing happened."

"Something was going to happen."

Slater rolled her eyes and looked up at him. "Nothing did though. Besides, there were no feelings or emotions involved anyways. We were only going to because we thought we were going to die."

She slammed her book shut, wiped chocolate of her finger with a napkin, then got up. She left the room and went back upstairs to her bedroom. Thoughts of what had happened the night before continued to fill her head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daryl pulled away from Slater, "We shouldn't do this," he said.

She raised one eyebrow, "And why not? The way I see it, they know we're in here, and they're just waiting for us to come outside. And it's just a matter of time before they get tired of waiting and come in here to find us anyways. We might as well have some fun before you get eaten."

"Well, when you put it that way..."

She smiled and pressed her lips to his again. Daryl pulled away again so that he could move to hover over her on the small hospital bed. Slater took the opportunity to say, "There's no feelings or emotions involved in this."

"Okay."

"It's
just sex." She said it as if it were more to convince herself than him.

"Okay."

"I won't respect you afterwards."

"I wouldn't have it any other way."

She smiled as he pushed her shirt up and she lifted her arms up so he could remove it. Then the rest of their clothes came off and their lips collided once more. She felt him move between her legs, positioning himself, and then the gun was fired.


~~~~~~~~~~~~

Slater pushed away the memory. It meant nothing. It would have been just sex, and nothing more. She laid back against her pillows and sighed. It would be so much easier if she had succeeded with running away....or if the cannibals had of just eaten one of them.