Status: Unpaused!

The "Z" Word

Dream

Slater sat next to Andrea at the table, and across from Daryl. Her eyes were glued to his mouth as he chewed his food, her left eye twitched slightly. Finally, she slammed her fork down, causing everyone to jump and turn to look at her, including Daryl. "You eat like a goat."

"What?" he asked, dumbfounded.

"You eat like a goat." Her voice was harsh. "It's aggravating."

He stared at her, not knowing how to respond. The corners of her mouth twitched and she rose from her chair. She turned away from the group and walked out of the kitchen.

"You do kind of eat like a goat," Merle muttered, which caused Daryl to smack him gently on the back of the head and frown.

Slater locked herself in her room, and draped herself nonchalantly across the bed. She picked her book up from where she had left it, and started reading again. She read until she fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Slater walked down the stairs, she was in a good mood, and she was singing. She rarely sang. "Rebel, rebel, you've torn your dress. Rebel, rebel, your face is a mess. Rebel, rebel, how could they know? Hot tramp, I LOVE YOU SO!" She jumped off the stairs, she was only two from the bottom, and she landed flat on her feet. She flipped the switch to the lights over the stairs, turning them off. She was in her swimsuit. It was simple. A plain, black bikini. She had a towel thrown over one arm, and she headed outside.

Slater walked down to the end of the dock. She put down her towel and dove into the water. It was a little chilly, but it would warm soon. The sun was shining brightly on the surface, and she floated on her back. Her eyes shut against the brightness and she inhaled deeply, taking in the smell of the nature. That's when she heard his voice. "You know what your problem is?"

Slater opened her eyes, she was angry. How dare him interrupt this. This peace. The tranquility. She couldn't see him. She moved in the water so that she was no longer floating. She looked around and seen Daryl sitting on the edge of the dock. He was wearing a pair of shorts and a shirt with the sleeves ripped off. He was barefoot, and his toes barely touched the surface of the water. "What do you want?" she demanded, ignoring his question.

He ignored hers as well, asking his once again. "You know what your problem is?"

She rolled her eyes and snapped, "What?"

"Control."

Confusion washed over her, changing her expression from anger. "What?"

"You're always in control. Now you're not, and you can't handle it."

"You don't know that. You know nothing about me."

"I know enough about you. You're afraid because your not in control. That's what's making you angry right now. It's not that I'm here, but that you can't control whether or not I'm here."

You're dreaming, she thought.

As if he could hear her thoughts, he continued, "Not even in your dreams do you have control."

"Go away!" she shouted.

"Wake up," he said as if it were the simplest thing in the world. And she did. She opened her eyes and picked up her head. She was laying in her bed, the book she had been reading was open in her hand.