Status: Unpaused!

The "Z" Word

You Don't Have to be Alone

There was a knock on the bedroom door but Slater didn't bother to say a word. She sat with her back against the wall on the top bunk, her arms were crossed over her chest, and she was glaring at the door. It slowly opened and Daryl poked his head in. "Are you okay?" he asked.

She didn't answer.

He sighed and stepped inside the room, closing the door behind him. He walked over to the beds and started to climb on to the top bunk with her.

"The beds will collapse if you get up here too."

He frowned, "I doubt it. I don't weigh that much."

He sat next to her and leaned back against the wall next to her. "What do you want?" she asked.

"I wanted to make sure you were okay."

"Why?"

He shrugged, "You just seem like you need a friend."

She shook her head, "I'm perfectly fine by myself."

He placed his hand under her jaw and gently turned her head so that she was looking at him. "No you're not. I can see the tears in your eyes." He paused while he reached up with his other hand and wiped her cheek with his thumb, brushing away a tear that had started to roll down her face, "And your cheeks are streaked with the tears."

She closed her eyes. "I'm alone now. I don't want to be alone." Her voice was a whisper.

"You don't have to be alone," he whispered back. Before the words could register in her head his lips were on hers. His kiss was gentle, but filled with need as his tongue swept across her bottom lip. Slater opened her mouth and their tongues danced.
♠ ♠ ♠
I found an end for the story. It'll still be awhile before I get there, but I know where this is headed now.