Status: Unpaused!

The "Z" Word

Leaving

Due to him driving, it was impossible for Daryl to do anything about the walkers, and there was no way for Slater to do anything without falling off the back of the motorcycle. Before she even realized what he was doing, Daryl had let go with one hand and reached behind him to grab her. He pulled her in front of him without swerving or anything else, and grabbed the bike once more. From this position, Slater was able to load and fire the crossbow. She only focused on the closest ones, the ones that actually posed a threat to them. She killed at least ten of the undead before they had gotten far enough away to leave the walkers in the dust.

She smiled up at Daryl, careful to not block his view of the road, "What made you think to do that?"

He shrugged, "I don't know."

"How'd you know it would work...that we wouldn't crash?"

"I didn't."

When they arrived back at the fort, everyone was already up, just as they had expected them to be. Daryl and Slater immediately started gathering their things to get ready to leave. "Where'd you two go?" Merle asked.

"For a ride," Daryl said, glancing at his older brother. He looked at the others, and said to everyone, "Start packing your things, we've got company headed this way."

"What do you mean?" Rick asked, standing up from where he had been seated next to Lori.

"He means walkers are headed this way," Slater told him, agitation obvious in her tone. "Now, unless you want to get ambushed again, get your shit together, and let's get moving."

"We haven't even decided where to go next," he protested. It wasn't that he wanted to stay and get ambushed, it was that he wasn't sure if they'd even find another place to stay.

"Does it really matter at this point? We have the whole day ahead of us to figure that out."

"Rick, don't argue with them," Lori said, her main concern was her son's safety. Regardless of whether they knew where to go that night, or in a week, she wanted to get her family away from the fort. She hadn't even been happy about staying one night there. Not with bodies of the dead hidden within the buildings. It made her sick to her stomach to think about it.

Rick took a deep breath and wordlessly started gathering his family's few belongings that had been unpacked for their overnight stay. The rest of the group did the same. When everything was gathered, they piled into the various vehicles, and started off down the road. They'd drive until dusk, and if someone needed something before they got to whatever safe place they could find to sleep for the night, then they knew what to do. They'd stay in the woods along the side of the road, out of sight from hostiles.

They all hoped they could find another town soon as well. After all, it had been awhile since they'd had a chance to stock up on necessities.