Status: Unpaused!

The "Z" Word

Never Gonna Happen Again

Daryl laid there with his hands behind his head, still staring up at the sky. Slater was curled up against Merle, her back to him, and using his right arm as a pillow. It was hard for Daryl to admit, even to himself, that he was jealous. He knew there was nothing going on between the two of them, but he wanted to be the one she was curled up against. Finally he turned his head to face them and whispered, "Slater, are you still awake?"

"I am now," she said, irritation in her voice. She kept her eyes closed and asked, "What do you want?"

"I can't sleep...I thought....I thought maybe we could talk."

"We already talked about everything. There's nothing left to talk about now."

"Well, there's what happened this morning."

"What about it?"

"You can't deny that you like me anymore."

"You're wrong. I can deny it because it's true. I don't like you. And I don't respect you either anymore. You were too easy, and I was only using you for your body."

Daryl couldn't help the small smirk that started curling the corners of his lips. And it was hard to fight off the chuckle that wanted to slip out. "Really?"

"Yep! Now, if you don't mind, I think I'd like to get some sleep."

Daryl thought for a moment. He knew she was lying. That's just how she was. He had come to accept that, and he actually like that. It kept him on his toes, and prevented him from being able to predict what she was going to do or say next. "Slater?"

"Yes?" she ground out through clenched teeth, even more aggravated than she was before.

"It's never gonna happen again?"

"Never ever."

A sly smirk spread across his lips as he asked, "Really?" and sat up.

"Really," she told him, sitting up as well.

"Not even if I were to do this?" He grabbed her and pulled her into his arms. He pressed his lips against hers and forced them apart. His tongue slipped inside of her mouth, and just for a moment, Slater felt like melting against him. She convinced herself that she was just trying to push his tongue out of her mouth with her own, but she knew she was lying to herself. She wanted him to hold her, and kiss her. She didn't want the kiss to end.

Just as she thought they'd never pull apart, they heard Merle's voice break through the silence, "I didn't know I was going to get a show by sleeping out here."

Slater pushed herself away from Daryl and smacked him as hard as she could across the face. "I said I don't like you!" she said, an expression of anger on her face, but Daryl could see in her eyes that it was another lie. She pushed herself further away from him and curled back up against Merle.

Daryl and Merle both smiled, even the older Dixon knew Slater was lying, and he just laid there while Slater got comfortable, using his arm once again as a pillow. Daryl laid back down on the grass and put a hand to his cheek. It stung, but he didn't care.