Status: Unpaused!

The "Z" Word

Planning

They seemed to never truly stop running, even after they reached the coast. They'd stay in one place for a few days, then pack up and leave. They'd drive throughout the day, then set up camp somewhere new on the beach. Time no longer existed. It was an imaginary concept. They new it would be winter soon though. The nights were cooler, and there was a chill to the wind during the day. Eventually, they would need more supplies. Coats, blankets, warmer clothes. A group would be put together to go into the nearest town. They sat around a small fold-out table with a map from Dale's RV. "We're somewhere right along here," Glenn said, tracing a small line along the map's coast line with his finger. "Which means, the closest town is about 20 miles away," he traced a line on the map from the coast line to a little black dot with the name of the town written neatly over it. "We can get what we need and be back before the day's over, as long as there's no trouble."

"Well, I'm not going," Merle said, shooting a glare at Rick and T.Dog. The last scouting mission he'd went on with them had ended with him being stranded on a roof until he cut his own hand off to get away from the hungry hordes of the undead.

"I don't feel good about this," Shane said. He seemed to always object to anyone leaving the group for anything.

"Only a handful of us will go," Rick said, "I'll go, who's going to come with me?"

Daryl shot a glance at Merle, then with a sigh, said "I'll join you."

Rick looked at Glenn, "Will you come? After all, it's your quick thinking that's gotten us out of trouble every other time."

A nervous look appeared on Glenn's face as he chewed on his bottom lip, "I guess so," he finally sighed.

"I'll go too," T.Dog said, not wanting to be at the camp with Merle without Daryl there. It seemed as if Daryl was the only one keeping Merle tame, and T.Dog didn't want to be there if Merle decided to snap.

"Me too. I need to escape this monotony," Slater said.

"I don't like this," Shane finally said. "I don't think half our man-power should be leaving."

Slater rolled her eyes and Dale muttered, "That's what you always say."

"We'll be fine Shane. Besides, we need the supplies," Rick assured him.

"And what if you get ambushed by horde while you're there? What if we get ambushed?"

"Simple," Slater said, "kill them all."

Shane ignored her and continued, "I just think it's too risky."

"Too risky? What's risky is not having jackets. It's going to be getting cold soon, if we don't have jackets, we'll freeze to death. If that's what you want, then you might as well shoot us all now, and put us out of the oncoming misery." She paused and glanced at Carl and Sophia who were standing near the shore line watching the fiddler crabs. "Look at them Shane," she said, not taking her eyes off the two children, "Do you think you could handle putting a bullet between the eyes of either of them?"

"That's enough," Rick said, his tone stern.

Slater took a deep breath and straightened her back. "We need to do this, and if you don't want to go, that's fine, but don't try to stop us from going."

The discussion was ended after a few more angry glares traded between Shane and Slater before Rick announced, "We're going for supplies tomorrow. If there's anything you want or need, make a list. I can't guarantee that we'll get it all, but we'll get what we can."

A few hours passed, or what felt like a few hours passed, before Andrea came back with the small fishing boat they had and some fish. A fire was built, it was small of course, but it kept everyone warm enough, and it was big enough to cook over.