Status: Unpaused!

The "Z" Word

Forgiveness

Daryl entered the RV, his crossbow at his side. He kept his hand on it, just in case. He walked to the back of it where T.Dog was lying on the small cot. His eyes were closed, the beads of sweat glistened on his skin, and his chest was still. Daryl gripped his crossbow tightly out of fear that the infection had already taken over completely and T.Dog was about to rise up to join the legion of the undead that they had all been trying so hard to run from.

Daryl breathed a sigh of relief when T.Dog took in a deep, ragged breath and his eyelids fluttered. T.Dog could barely make out Daryl's outline with his eyes barely open. "Daryl?"

"Yeah, T?"

"I--I'm sorry. I didn't mean to...." his words trailed off. He took another deep breath before starting again, "Is Merle with you?"

Daryl shook his head slightly before saying, "No, he's outside."

There was a slight movement that looked like T.Dog had nodded his head, in understanding. He didn't blame Merle for not wanting to see him. "I'm sorry for leaving him. I honestly didn't mean to drop the key. I tried to make sure the walkers wouldn't get him though."

Daryl didn't speak for a moment. He knew T was trying to make amends before it was too late so he replied with, "You did good, they didn't get him."

"But....his hand."

Daryl shrugged slightly, "He chose to cut it off. If he'd of waited we would've been there to get him."

There was another small movement of T.Dog's head.

Daryl took a deep breath, "I forgive you," he said, knowing that was what T.Dog needed to hear to ease his mind. "Merle's back and, sure he's missing a hand, but he's fine. It's okay." Daryl paused again trying to think if there was anything else T.Dog might need to here. "Merle will forgive you in time. Don't let it worry you."

Daryl stood there for a couple of minutes, they were both silent. He started to turn away when T.Dog called him back. "Will you....will you do it?"

"Do what?" Daryl asked, playing dumb.

"End it before the infection takes over."

Daryl nodded, "Yeah, I'll do it for you."