Status: Unpaused!

The "Z" Word

Reversal

"Are you sure about this?" Daryl asked.

T.Dog nodded. "Please hurry....I don't know how much longer I can fight this. I don't wanna be one of those things."

Daryl took a deep breath and raised his crossbow, taking aim. T.Dog closed his eyes, not wanting to see the arrow coming. Daryl squeezed the trigger, releasing the arrow. It struck T.Dog right in the middle of his forehead. He fell down dead. Daryl exhaled the breath he didn't realize he had been holding and lowered the crossbow. He stared at the dead man standing a mere ten feet in front of him. He wasn't sure how long he had been standing there, almost in a daze, before he felt a heavy hand on his shoulder. He quickly spun around, ready to shoot his crossbow again if needed, but breathed a sigh of relief when he seen it was Rick standing there with his hand outstretched. Slater, Glenn, and Shane had also joined him.

The sorrow was obvious on everyone's faces. They all held a shovel, except for Rick, who held two. He handed one of them to Daryl, "We thought we'd.....we thought we'd help you bury him. He doesn't deserve to just lay here rotting."

Daryl pushed the shovel back towards Rick, "I could care less either way." He roughly pushed past the four, and headed back to the camp, adjusting his crossbow on his back as he walked.

Slater dropped her shovel and ran after him. She grabbed his forearm, and he spun around, jerking his arm from her grip. "What's your problem?" she nearly screamed at him.

"I don't have a problem."

"You just killed a man, and you won't even help dig his grave."

"I was protectin' myself, and my brother. It doesn't make a difference to me if he rots in the ground, or above it." Daryl turned back around, and started the walk back to camp.

"Daryl, stop it!" Slater said, catching up to him and stepping into his path. "You can't pretend like you don't care."

"I'm not pretending. I really don't care. Now get out of my way."

Slater refused to move, and pursued the subject. "Daryl, you don't mean that. I know you're just upset."

"I don't get upset over anything. I'm always one of three things: drunk, happy, or angry. Nothin' else, now move!

Slater squared her shoulders, attempting to appear bigger than she really was, "Not until you admit what your feeling."

He rolled his eyes and grabbed her hips, picking her up and moving her to the side. He continued walking towards camp.

Slater kicked the sand at him. "Daryl Dixon, you are the most stubborn and aggravating man to ever exist."

He ignored her. She groaned, and stomped back to where the grave was being dug. She picked up a shovel, and angrily began shoveling dirt away. "Are you okay?" Glenn asked, noticing Daryl had obviously angered her.

"Just peachy," she groaned through clenched teeth.

<center>~~~~~~~~~~~~</center>

Night had fallen, everyone was asleep except for Daryl, Shane, and Slater. Shane and Daryl were both at opposite sides of the camp, keeping watch for any walkers. Slater laid awake, unable to sleep. She finally got up and walked over to the shore. Because winter was coming, the water was considerably colder, but Slater didn't mind the chill when it washed over her feet.

Daryl noticed her standing there and walked over to her. "You're gonna get sick."

"What do you care?" she asked, using the same angry tone he had used on her earlier that day.

"I don't. I'm just sayin'....."

"Well, say it somewhere else."

They stood there for a minute or two in silence before glancing at each other than quickly looking back out at the ocean. "I didn't mean to take my anger out on you earlier-" he started, breaking the silence, but she interrupted.

"I don't care to hear an apology from you."

"I'm not apologizing, I'm just....." he trailed off. Slater looked up at him. "I thought....Ever since he left Merle on that rooftop in Atlanta, I've wanted to get some kind of revenge against him. He deserved for something to happen to him, but he didn't deserve that. No one deserves that. I thought being the one to do it would be enough, but I just.....I don't know."

Slater reached out and took Daryl's hand in her's. "It's okay Daryl. Everything will be okay."

He looked at her and small smiles creeped across their lips. Their roles had reversed. She was now the one comforting him.