Status: Unpaused!

The "Z" Word

Transmission

Daryl woke up to a boot being shoved in his side, "Wake up!" Slater shouted at him. "We're about to hit the road."

He groaned and sat up. He rubbed his eyes and looked at Merle, only to see Slater doing the same thing to him. He got up and put his shoes on then walked outside to join the others. He watched Slater get in an old, red Camaro. She had the window down and Rick walked up to her. He watched as they spoke to each other.

"So, we'll just follow you, and when it starts to get dark, we'll just pull over somewhere to sleep for the night. With the walkers, it's safer to not be on the road at night."

Slater nodded and started the engine. Rick walked over to the car where his family was waiting and they got in. Slater pulled out of the driveway and once she had made it past the RV the caravan started moving, following her down the road.

"You like her, don't ya?" Merle asked once they started driving.

"Why would you think that?"

"I see how you keep staring at her."

"I like to look at her. That doesn't mean I like her."

Merle rolled his eyes and looked out the window. A couple of hours passed before the vehicles started to stop. Daryl assumed it was because of the RV, and got out of the truck to see if there was anything he could do to help. When he got to the front he seen Slater with the hood of her Camaro up. Rick and Dale were standing there with her. He walked around to the front of the car and seen her bent over it checking everything. "Can I help you with anything?" he asked.

She stood up straight and turned to face him, "Do you have a transmission you don't need?"

He shook his head.

"Then you can't help me with anything." She turned back to the car and kicked the front of it. The car moved and the hood fell. She kicked it again and shouted, "Stupid piece of crap! You're old and no one likes you!" She groaned and turned to sit on the hood of it. She crossed her arms over her chest.

"You can ride with us," Dale offered.

She let out a reluctant sigh and said, "That'll be fine I guess. Thank you." She got up to follow him to the RV. As she did she said, "I just wish we were closer to the house, at least then I'd be able to fix the car."

That's when Daryl spoke up, "I have a chain in the back of the truck, I can pull the car along for you."

Her face lit up and she grinned, "Really? That would be fantastic!"

"Sure, it's not a problem."

Without thinking, Slater ran over to him and hugged him. Unsure of what to do, Daryl just patted her back while receiving odd looks from Dale and Rick.

She pulled away from Daryl and smoothed out the front of her tank top. Daryl walked back to his truck and told Merle what was going on, leaving out the detail about Slater hugging him. They drove to the front of the line and Slater helped Daryl hook the chain to her car. Then she climbed into the RV with Dale and they pulled off. Daryl and Merle sat there and waited for the vehicles to pass them before getting back in line, towing the Camaro behind them.