Status: Unpaused!

The "Z" Word

Help

They drove for a few more hours before pulling into another small town. They didn't see too many of the undead around, so they decided to stop and see what they could find. Lori, Rick, Dale, and Andrea went into the grocery store. Carol stayed in the RV to look after Carl and Sophia. T.Dog, Glenn, and Shane went to siphon more gas for the vehicles that needed it, and Merle and Daryl followed Slater to an auto parts store. She wasn't sure what her grandfather had in the garage at the river house, and didn't want to get there and see that what she needed wasn't there. She grabbed a basket and started filling it with tools and other things she would need to fix her car. And if she was lucky, she'd be able to fix it when they stopped for the night instead of waiting.

"So...." Daryl started as he and Merle checked to make sure there weren't any other walkers. "Did your grandfather teach you how to fix cars too?"

She shook her head, "Nope! My dad did that." She smiled as she thought of when he was teaching her how to change spark plugs when she was only eight years old. She was sitting on the edge of the truck, he was holding onto her so she wouldn't fall, and she was leaning over trying to get the spark plug out. Her mom seen them through the kitchen window and came running outside, yelling at them for letting her get grease on one of her good 'school' shirts. She sighed and hoped that she'd see them when she got to the river house.

Once Slater had everything she needed, they left. As they came out of the store, they could hear footsteps on the gravel. Daryl walked in front of Slater and Merle to see what it was. He had his crossbow loaded and ready to fire. As did Slater. His eyes widened at the hoard of walkers that were coming. He and and Slater both started firing at them as they ran. He yelled to T.Dog, Shane, and Glenn to come on, just as the others were coming out of the grocery store. Gunfire sounded and walkers fell dead as they ran for their vehicles. Slater didn't have time to make it to the RV so she jumped into the back of Daryl's truck, next to the motorcycle. He started the engine and they pulled off. Slater shot a few more arrows at walkers, and when they started to get distance Daryl opened the little window between her and him and Merle. "Don't waste any more of your arrows," he told her.

She nodded and sat down and looked inside the cab. Daryl glanced up at her in the rear view mirror and smiled. She returned his smile.

"Still got the stuff for the car?" he asked.

"Yep!" she said, placing her hand on the basket.

She leaned back against the truck and tilted her face up at the sky. The sun warmed her skin and she took a deep breath.

When they finally stopped for the night Rick said, "We should probably have more people on watch tonight. That way we can make sure no walkers sneak up on us."

There was nodding and a little bit of chatter as everyone agreed. A small fire was built and canned food was warmed and passed out. After she ate, Dale gave Slater a small lantern so she could see what she was doing as she worked on her car.

Shane, Daryl, and Merle stayed up for the first shift, as well as Slater, who was working on her car. Daryl couldn't help but stare at her legs as she leaned over the Camaro. They were long and lean. Despite that it was night time, it was still pretty hot, and sweat glistened on the back of her legs. "Stop looking at her," Merle whispered, careful to not get Slater's attention. "You're supposed to be watching for walkers."

Daryl smirked but didn't say anything as he turned his attention back to the surrounding woods. When it wasn't too long before the first shift of guard duty was going to end he walked over to her, "Do you need any help?"

She shook her head, "No. I'm almost finished." She started to reach up to wipe sweat from her forehead, but stopped when she seen the grease that covered her hands and arms.

"Are you sure?"

She stood up straight and looked at him. "Why don't you find me something clean to wipe my face with."

He nodded and walked away.

He walked over to his truck to get a rag out of the glove box and Merle walked up, "Jeez! You haven't even touched her and she's already got you whipped," he said in a low voice. "What's happened to you?"

Daryl glared at his brother, "What are you talkin' about? She doesn't have me whipped. I'm just tryin' to help her out."

He shut the small compartment and walked back over to Slater. He handed her the rag and she wiped the sweat away. "Thanks," she said, handing it back to him.

"No problem."

Daryl couldn't explain what it was about Slater. She was so different from the girls he was usually with. She was the complete opposite of the prissy, bar bimbos he's have one night stands with, if it was even that much. Usually it was just a blow job in the men's room or in his truck. Then they'd leave and he'd be on his way.