Status: Unpaused!

The "Z" Word

Bonding

The night passed without any problems. When Slater woke up she walked outside and sat down on the river bank, she wanted to be alone with her thoughts, and she felt like the way the sun reflected off the water's surface was calming. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes.

Daryl got up and looked outside. He seen Slater sitting by herself on the river bank, and wondered what she was thinking about. Stop it! he told himself, it doesn't matter what she's thinking about. He turned away from the window and decided to go downstairs and see what there was to eat. The others were up as well and gathered around the table where Paulo was serving pancakes. They had been told the night before that he had been a chef in his own restaurant before the outbreak. He could make almost anything with just about anything. As he ate he seen that Slater was still sitting outside, alone. He wondered what was wrong. He had almost convinced himself to go check on her when Andrea announced that she was going to go talk to her.

Slater heard the footsteps and looked up to see Andrea, "Mind if I join you?" she asked, giving her a friendly smile.

Slater returned the smile, "I don't mind."

Andrea sat down next to her and stared out at the water. "So....is everything okay?"

Slater nodded.

"I...I know how it feels to lose someone you love because of the infection." Slater looked at her but didn't speak, so Andrea continued, "My sister, Amy." A tear started to fall from her eye. "She was younger than me, by twelve years. She...she was all I had."

"I'm sorry," Slater said, pretending like she didn't know why Andrea was telling her this.

"If it weren't for Dale....well, I wouldn't be here."

"You two are close?"

Andrea nodded, "Daryl told you about how the CDC was going to decontaminate, I was going to stay behind. Me and one other girl, Jacqui. Dale talked me out of it though."

"He loves you."

It wasn't a question, and Andrea knew what Slater meant. "Well, yeah. Amy and I were all he had after his wife died, and he told me he wasn't leaving without me."

"So you left."

Andrea nodded. "We find comfort in each other, both of us having lost someone we love and everything. If you have someone to fall back on, you can handle anything."

Slater smiled and started to speak when she was cut off by Paulo, "Anjo, I have a surprise for you, come here."

"I guess we'll talk more later," Slater said, getting up.

Andrea nodded.

Slater walked over to the garage where her father stood. He ushered her inside. In the middle of the room was something large covered with a canvas tarp.