Untitled

Dinner For Three

“Hey Cherie! You remember Pete right?” Bob asked as I entered the kitchen.
“Uhmm, I’m sorry, I don’t. You look very familiar though.” I admitted, trying not to hurt his feelings.
“He’s my cousin. The last time you saw him you were pretty young.” Bob explained getting Pete and I a coke out of the fridge.
“How have you been?” Pete asked taking a sip of his ice cold drink.
“Good actually. I came out here to live with my Uncle Bob Dazzler about a week ago.” Bob rolled his eyes. But I know he loves his nickname. “I was sick of Colorado.” I explained.
“Well that was nice that your father let you come out here. He must have a lot of trust in you.” Pete smiled. “How is he by the way?”
“He’s good. He was a little upset that I wanted to leave, but I assured him everything would be fine.” I returned the smile.
“Pete, would you like to stay for dinner?” Bob asked politely.
“That would be wonderful thank you.” Pete responded happily.
“Great!” Bob said cheerfully as he took out a large pot.
“Oh boy, that big pot can only mean one thing… Bob’s secret recipe pasta!” Pete fake cheered.
I laughed at his sense of humor. Pete was a very nice guy, younger than Bob, but atleast 10 years older than I was. He had beautiful bronze hair and warm chocolate eyes. He reminded me a little of my old next door neighbor Nevin. I never liked Nevin; he was a weird kid. But Pete was nothing like him. Pete was sweet, and cared about things. Nevin was mean, and nasty. I remember he would try to be my friend just so he could use my pool or trampoline. Yuck just the thought of him made me queasy. He went out with my friend Nina, and he abused her. It was really bad.
“Hello? Cherie? Come back down to Earth!” Pete laughed and waved his hand in front of my face.
I giggled. “Sorry, I was day dreaming.”
“Pete asked you a question Cherie.” Bob pointed out as he added a few seasonings to the pot.
“I’m sorry, what was your question?” I asked embarrassed that I wasn’t paying attention.
“How’s school?” Pete repeated his question.
I thought for a moment, trying to think of the right words. “Well, it’s school, so I don’t like it. But the work is easy enough, and I met friends already.”
“Well that’s good!” Pete smiled. “Do you know what you want to major in?”
“I want to be a lawyer.” I explained as Bob placed three plates on the table in front of us.
“That’s a tough business, good luck.” Pete sighed. “I tried to open my own practice, didn’t work out to well.”
“Oh I’m sorry.” I said sympathetically.
“Oh, no! Don’t be!” Pete said with a chuckle.
“Who’s hungry?” Bob sang as he placed the huge plate of pasta on the table.
“I am!” Pete and I said in unison.

We had a great dinner, talked about many different things. Including my new car. Come to find out, Pete’s son, Hunter also has one, except his is a dark blue.

“Well, I’m sorry, but I must get going. It’s getting late, and I have to make sure Hunter has finished his homework. Thank you Bob the pasta was terrific.” Pete smiled and stood.
“I’ll walk you to the door.” Bob offered and followed him towards the front hall.

I sighed and put all the plates into the dishwasher. I then trudged upstairs to start the homework I had for that night.