Status: Will continue, if you comment

I Know What You Are

Reading for Ms. Crawlette

I shoved my arms in my coat; I was late for reading to Ms. Crawlette. I put a cup of water near my uncle’s bed and ran out the door with my school bag bouncing on my back. I pushed open the door violently, put my school bag in my “Maid Cubby” as she called it and ran up the lavish, purple-carpeted stairs.

Ms. Crawlette had the most ridiculous house in the camp. While everyone else had plywood shacks, she had a two story huge, wide, purple house that she stayed in alone. She was the one with the most money, so she got her things easily, but people were suffering while she was eating crab cakes and sitting on her pudgy little rump. The inside of her house was even more absurd. She had a collection of cat paintings, a huge dining room with a cherry wood table that she sat alone at, the furniture was all vintage and gaudy. All the walls were painted in assorted pasty and ugly colors. For Goodness sake, she even had a heated toilet (She never let me use it, though).

Everyone hated her. Not only because she was selfish and took away from the community and wasted everyone’s time, but her personality was vile. But hey, she payed well, and that was everyones excuse. She was the one of the couple British person in the camp, but she acted like the queen. Her accent was so ridiculous you had to try hard not to laugh in her face. She had a deep voice and made funny faces to speak in her over-exaggerated and elongated way of speaking. She would ring out vowels like there was no tomorrow and bend and stretch the words so each sounded just as hilarious.

She was waiting in a red plushy chair, her arms crossed with pride and prejudice on her lap. She looked more than slightly irritated.

“You are five minutes late, Ms. Allizota.” She said crossly.

“I’m sorry, I really am. I had to get my stuff for school and take care of my uncle.”

“Absurd!” She shrieked. “You have said this last week!” As you see, she was also not very good at logic. It was useless to argue.

“I was gone five minutes.” I said respectively. Careful not to whine.

“Do not whine or I shall change my mind! Now read!” She yelled, sipping her tea angrily. I repressed the urge to slap her face and continued with pride and prejudice. I enjoyed reading, but it was irritating with her interrupting me every five minutes to correct me on my diction or complain about me reading.

Honestly! If she hates me that much, why doesn’t she fire me? I needed the money though, I just needed the money, I wasn’t there to have fun. It was only three times a week, I could deal with that. The clock stuck 9 and I closed the book. School started in five minutes and I didn’t want to be late.

I flew down the dirt roads, past my staring neighbors, mulling and working outside. I rushed in the school door quietly taking the seat in the back; barely anybody noticing that I had come in. I noticed my friend Anemonie was sitting next to possibly the girl I liked least in the camp (right up there with Ms. Crawlette)

Sig Brokiasomay.
♠ ♠ ♠
IT GETS BETTER. COMMENT.