Melinda the Servent

Chapter Six

The driver still didn’t want to leave for he was only just finishing his lunch, Leo on the other hand was getting impatient with him and said that he was going to tell his father that he was being disobedient. This made the man get up and saddle up the horse for the rest of the journey to the country house. Once the horses where ready Leo helped me in, then he got in just before the carriage started to move. But this time he sat on the same side as I happened to be sitting. This wasn’t the norm for him and I was curious to why he had done it. But then again it was his right to sit anywhere he liked even if it was next to me.

Leo saw that I was wondering why he sat next to me and he had the biggest smile on his face that made me laugh. I tried to stop laughing but he just kept on pulling faces at me. One of them was sticking his chopsticks up his nose and sneezing so they ended up imbedded in the soft wall of the carriage. All though he knew he was going to get into trouble, he just didn’t care and laughed just as hard as I was. There was something about this new Leo that I couldn’t quite get. The funny way he looked at me, the way he helped me with my mother and they way he was trying to cheer me up.

These were entirely not the norm for him. His father told him not to do those things but he just couldn’t help himself today. I think that he is just bored. I was bored as well but that bored. Leo has a way to make even the sadist of people happy just by smiling. When I had to go shopping a few days before we left I remember that I had to walk past Leo’s school and I saw that he was trying to get away from all of the crazy girls. They thought that he was a prince and they all wanted him to their husband. As soon as he realised I was walking past he picked up his pace to try and get out of the path of the marching mad girls. This made him feel embarrassed only because I saw how he was treated at school.
When I asked him about it he just looked at me as if I wasn’t meant to remember any of it. “Come on Leo please tell me why they treat you like that. It is not like I’m going to tell your father”. This made him look at me with sympathy and I wondered why but I thought one question at a time was good enough.

“Melinda, there are many reasons in why I’m treated that way at school. One of them is because my family is the richest and the most intelligent. Also because I have the top grades and that everyone wants to be my friend only because I have money...” he stops and that makes me wonder what he is going to say next. Only it is a few minutes later when he does say something. “I know that you don’t have the best education and I well I have the best money can buy, but most of the people at my school have to work there to pay off their school fees and well you get the picture. Mel if I had known that you had a father I would have found him so you could have a better education.”

The word ‘father’ and the way he had used it made me think that there was something going on but I didn’t want to push that matter. Leo saw the discomfort when he said that about my father. He felt sorry for me and my mother but something strange happened he put his arm around me and gave me a huge hug. This was the second time within one week. Something must be happening to him for this is completely out of character for him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I take no credit, full credit goes to my friend Amber.