Status: Finished.

Untitled

#001

Image

Pregnancy


“Frank, I’m pregnant,” she says, serenely. She’s Geena Way, married to Frank Iero. She’s been practicing for the pregnancy revelation for a long time now and it is finally here.

For the past year and a half, she has taken several pregnancy tests that turned out negative, she has missed her period several times as well but it turned out to be merely late. Yet she would always tell Frank that it was real, that she was pregnant, even when she wasn’t.

“Sure you are, Gee,” Frank says to her, not even looking up from his book. It was a lie a few times before, so Gee isn’t surprised at all with his reaction. Frank believed her the first three times, then he just assumed she was bullshitting him.

“Okay,” is her only answer.

It has been a lie so far, but now it’s the truth. Yet she won’t get too worked up about it. They’ve wanted to have a baby ever since their first anniversary, but the excitement hasn’t kicked in yet. For now, Gee is still taking the news in.

She goes back to the en-suite bathroom. They’re staying at a motel in the middle of Charleston, SC, on a road trip from New Jersey to Florida for their spring vacation. It is more relaxing than anything else and now there are new things to absorb till they get back home. They should be fine, though, she thinks as she stares at the three positive pregnancy tests in the sink.

Gee has no idea how much time she spent there just staring at them, because she can only feel Frank sliding behind her. He’s sliding snaky hands around her middle and his fresh breath against her neck, but she barely moves. She just turns her head to look at him, instead of at the sink.

Their eyes meet in the mirror and Frank smiles at her, that smug smile she knows so well. This time, however, she doesn’t smile back. Looking at Frank’s face makes her realize what’s happening; she is pregnant with his child. Apparently it should be a wonderful thing, but knowing that Frank has no idea it’s actually true makes her think like it’s nothing.

Until he looks down for whatever reason and steps back, away from Gee’s body. She shivers, having no recollection of having felt warmer when he slid behind her. She focuses on his eyes as they widen and look back up at her, then she shows him a small, I-told-you-so grin. He doesn’t respond.

“You’re pregnant,” he says simply. Frank looks down at the sink, picking up one of the sticks, then looks back up at her, and repeats it. “You really are pregnant.”

“I was trying to tell you that, Frank, Jesus.”