Her Name was Lillian Fairchild

1146

“Her name was Lillian Fairchild.”
I jumped as a deep male voice spoke close to my ear, breaking my focus on the photograph of the beautiful woman. Her soft features drew me in, her beauty shining not only externally but obviously within, as well.

“Was?” I asked softly. He stepped to my side and nodded, clasping his hands behind his back.
“She died ten years ago.”
“Did you know her well?”
“She was my wife.” I averted my eyes, expecting the man to reprimand me for disrespecting her memory. “You’re fine,” he chuckled, as if he had read my mind. “She passed while giving birth to our stillborn child. It was tragic, yes, but I’ve moved on with my life.”
“She was so beautiful,” I whispered, allowing my fingers to reach out and brush the picture frame lightly.

“Yes, she was. Beautiful in so many ways… She taught at the school for five years.” He paused. “They have a memorial for her on the grounds, if you would like to see it.” I nodded, turning my head to finally look at him. His handsome features were stunning, complimented by his blue-green eyes and sandy brown hair. His eyes flickered to my own for a moment before he turned to walk to the door. He held it open as I walked through, giving me a small smile.

We walked along a paved path lined with blue geraniums, my hand on his arm. I felt a small spark whenever my elbow brushed his side. I chose to ignore it, however, as he would surely laugh if I were to call attention to the matter. My mother used to tell me that your true love would send “shivers up your spine and warmth to your heart.” Is it true? That cannot possibly be what I am feeling.

“Your sister, she seems lovely. I look forward to working with her.” I was drawn from my thoughts when he spoke. I smiled, nodding my head slightly.
“Yes, she’s a wonderful person with a very pleasant demeanor. She shouldn’t cause any problems here.”
“I wouldn’t expect her to. Most of our students are quite pleasant. The ones who are not are usually placed in solitary confinement.” He looked toward one of the buildings, which I assumed held those students.

We walked in a comfortable silence until we reached a gently sloping hill, which the path continued over.
“Her memorial is ahead,” he said softly. I looked up, seeing a trace of pain in his eyes.
“We don’t have to go up if you don’t want to, Mr. Fairchild.” He looked down at me again, holding my gaze.

“Please, call me Jonathan. I would like to go, if you would.” I nodded, and we walked forward. “I should have asked earlier, and please pardon me for not doing so. What is your name?”
“Catherine. It’s a family name, passed on from my Grandmother.” He nodded.
“Catherine Dougherty. It suits you. And Lucille?”
“My mother thought it was a nice name for her younger daughter,” I said as we neared the top of the hill. To my surprise, the path did not go over, but spread into a wide circle. Jonathan steered me around the edge of the circle to a stone bench.

“She loved sundials. I designed this and helped them build it in her memory.” I stared at the center, where a large, intricately designed gnomon was placed.
“It’s lovely,” I said as I stood. I walked forward, circling the gnomon. The two broad sides were carved, I noticed, with two images. The side that faced the school buildings to the west was a forest scene in which a deer stood proudly, her ears perked up. I noticed at the side of the doe, a small fawn lay in the grass.

I looked toward Jonathan, still seated on the bench. “This is your wife and child, isn’t it?” He smiled and nodded, rising to his feet. He walked to my side and traced his fingers over the carving.
“She loved deer. When she was a young girl, she raised a fawn as a pet.” I laughed softly as I went to the other side. Jonathan followed me, smiling knowingly. “This is carved from a photograph that was taken of us. We had a friend who is a photographer, who took our engagement photos. I thought it would be a lovely memory to share.”
“You can see the love between both of you,” I said softly. He nodded, seeming to be deep in thought.

“I… I think she would like if I moved on, though.” I raised my eyebrows and turned to face him.
“Oh? I can only imagine that she would want you to be happy.” I spoke softly, my head tipped back slightly to look at his face. I hadn’t noticed how closely we were standing, but it felt as if stepping back and putting space between our bodies would be the wrong thing to do. I felt his hand touch my waist lightly.

“I think so, too,” he whispered. “Tell me to stop, Cat, and I will.”
His words sent a chill up my spine and I shook my head. “Don’t stop, please.” His right hand cupped my cheek gently, his thumb barely brushing over my lips.
“May I kiss you?” I was about to answer him when we heard someone yelling in the distance. I stepped back, smoothing out my skirt with shaking hands. I could still feel the warmth of his body, the shiver that his touch caused. “Cat,” he said softly. “May I see you again?”

I could hear my mother yelling my name, coming closer to the hill. “Yes, of course. We will be back each holiday.”
“You know that’s not what I mean.” I blushed.
“You are at least ten years older than me, Jonathan. It… it wouldn’t be proper.” He took hold of my left hand.
“Cat, I cannot explain this feeling; I have not felt it for several years. I feel… whole.” He raised my hand, kissing it softly. My eyes fluttered closed as my heart began to race.

“I feel the same way.” His eyes locked on mine as he stepped closer once again. I forgot about everything; my mother, sister, father, the school. The only thought that crossed my mind was that this is true love. This feeling would last forever if I let it.

I took one step forward as I let my fears drop away, pressing my lips softly against his. I smiled, knowing that that day was the beginning of forever.