Status: Complete

Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse

Grudge

There were three bedrooms in the small flat. One that her mother had to herself, one that Sal was sharing with Jules, and one that Daryl and Leah were sharing. Merle had chosen to sleep on the couch to give Daryl and Leah privacy. Leah and Daryl decided to wait to announce her pregnancy. They felt that after the shock of them showing up, plus the news of Marissa's and Felecia's deaths, it just wasn't an appropriate time to tell anyone. Other than the women, no one with the other group had even known yet that Leah was going to have a baby, and Daryl wondered how Merle would react to the news of becoming an uncle.

Leah sat on the foot of the bed, staring into the large mirror that was on top of the dresser. Daryl was in the shower, and, for the moment, she was alone. She smiled at her reflection and pushed her hair back out of her face. She stood up and smoothed her baggy shirt out over her stomach. She turned to the side in an attempt to see if there was a bulge in her still flat stomach. Then Jules appeared in the reflection behind her. She turned around, and with a sneer, asked, "What do you want?"

He leaned in the doorway, nonchalantly, and said, "I just wanted to talk."

"I killed the last guy that 'just wanted to talk.'" she threatened. She had never forgiven him for cheating on her. And Leah was always bad about holding grudges. When she was in first grade, she punched a guy in the nose because he had stolen one of her crayons when she was in kindergarten.

Jules smirked, assuming that Leah's threat was just a threat. Leah, despite her fascination with horror films, couldn't even hurt an animal, nonetheless a human being. Her threat, however, did make him lose his train of thought, "What did he say to make you kill him?"

"That's none of your business, but if you must know, he deeply offended me."

Jules rolled his eyes, "Well, I'm not here to offend you."

"Then why are you here?"

"I know it's pointless now, but I'm truly sorry for cheating on you. I know how you are with grudges, and I don't want to end up with a black eye because of it."

"You're still not forgiven. Why don't you go jump off the roof?"

He ignored her second comment and sat down on the foot of the bed. "You know, until you and your friends showed up, I slept in here. Sal wouldn't let me move any of the things you left behind."

Jules was referring to a few trinkets Leah had left after she had gotten a new apartment. They had been living together and when they broke up, Leah had nowhere to go, so Sal let her stay in the flat until she got back on her feet. "I don't care. Get out!"

Knowing how stubborn she could be, Jules got up and left the room, knowing it was pointless to argue with her. It was only moments later when Daryl returned from his shower. Leah was holding a red mask in her hand, it was trimmed in black, with black musical notes under the eyes, and black feathers around the top. It was a trinket from her last Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Her last Mardi Gras with Jules. "What's that?" Daryl asked.

She looked up at him, "Nothing important." She tossed it onto the dresser and laid back on the bed, her feet dangled over the edge.

Daryl picked it up and looked at it, "What's it for?"

"Mardi Gras. I got it the year I left."

"Oh." He laid it back down on the dresser and climbed on top of Leah. She smiled playfully at him, and he smiled back.