Status: Complete

Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse

Hunting

A few days passed, and everything seemed okay. Jules was obviously jealous of Leah and Daryl, but he didn't bother them, and when they would all talk, he was friendly in polite. It was morning, and Daryl was still in bed asleep. Merle was asleep as well, however, he had been woken up so that Halle could sit on the couch, and now he was sitting up, with his head tilted back, and his legs stretched out in the floor. Jules was getting dressed, and Leah was helping Sal make breakfast. "While I was gone, I think I missed your cooking the most," Leah told him.

Sal smiled, "Flattery isn't going to get you any extra." He said it loudly, as if it were more for the benefit of everyone else, rather than her. Then he leaned in close and whispered in her ear, "Of course it will, we just have to keep it a secret."

Leah smiled and giggled. Eventually, Jules and Daryl both walked out of their rooms together while Leah was fixing everyone's plates. Halle woke Merle up again to eat breakfast, and this time, he actually got up. While they ate, Jules mentioned gator hunting to Daryl. "I haven't been in awhile. Sal's too old, and I can't do it on my own. I know you're a hunter, and thought perhaps you'd enjoy it."

Leah smiled encouragingly at Daryl, wanting the two of them to get along, for her sake, and for the baby's sake. Granted, they still hadn't told anyone yet. Leah wasn't quite sure what they were waiting for, it seemed like the simplest thing, but every time she'd open her mouth to tell everyone, she'd lose her nerve and say something else.

After considering the offer, Daryl agreed to go with Jules. Besides, it could be fun, it wasn't like he had ever hunted an alligator before. After breakfast, Daryl got ready and strapped his crossbow to his back. Before he and Jules left, Leah kissed him, "Come back."

"You know I will."

She smiled and they left. Sal locked the door behind them, and they sat down.

Hours passed and Jules and Daryl hadn't spotted any gators yet. There was a post sticking up out of the water with a large hook on it, "Will you hang this on that?" Jules asked, handing Daryl a few pieces of meat that hadn't been edible, at least not for humans.

Daryl nodded and took it from him. He leaned over the boat, careful to not fall in, and hooked the meat. While Daryl busied himself with baiting the trap, Jules crept up quietly behind him, and just as Daryl was about to stand back up, he pushed him overboard and sped off before Daryl even had a chance to resurface. Daryl was furious as he pulled himself out of the water. He should have known to trust his instincts and not go out alone with Jules. Your own damn stupidity got you into this mess! he berated himself as he pulled himself from the water. Daryl wanted to kill Jules, and he swore that once he found him, he would.

Jules wasn't concerned about leaving Daryl alive. He didn't think that Daryl would even make it out of the swamp. For one, he'd never been there before. And two, if the wildlife didn't get him first, the walkers would. And if, somehow, he was able to make it back to the city, Jules was sure the walkers would still get him before he got back to Sal's. He knew Leah would be upset at first, after all, she had 'married' him, but Jules figured with a believable lie, she'd eventually get over it, and then he could have her to himself, like it was supposed to be.

Daryl wasn't sure how long he wandered around the swamps, trying to remember how to get out. At one point, he did see a gator, but it didn't seem to notice him, or it just didn't care, because it didn't make a move as Daryl crept past it, not wanting to get it's attention. Eventually, he was going to have to find a place to rest. It was getting dark, and the swamp wasn't really the best place to be wandering around at night, especially since he had never even been there before.

When Jules returned alone Leah was angry. "Where's Daryl?" she demanded before the door had even shut.

Jules blinked a few times, trying to look sad, unfortunately, it worked; he was just as good an actor as Leah. "He....he...."

Leah walked over to him and punched him, not caring what had happened, just that something had happened. Sal wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her away. "What happened?" he insisted.

"There were walkers, they ambushed us on our way back. I don't know how I managed to escape. I tried to save Daryl too, but there were just too many. They surrounded him."

Leah broke away from Sal and started hitting Jules as hard as she could. "It should have been you!" she screamed at him. "Not him!" She repeated herself over and over as tears fell down her face. Finally, Merle walked over and picked her up, tossing her over his shoulder, he carried her to her room and sat her on the bed. Then he left, shutting the door behind him. He was just as angry as Leah, but could he really take that anger out on Jules because walkers had attacked? At least alone in her room, Leah could sit and think, and hopefully get over her anger.