Status: Complete

Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse

Return

Leah laid in bed staring up at the ceiling. She could just barely see the color of it in the moonlight that streamed in through the windows. It was impossible for her to sleep, even in complete darkness. How could she when Daryl's scent lingered on everything? The pillows. The sheets. Everything. She was amazed that she had been able to sleep prior, but she assumed that was because of crying and the sobs that had shaken her small body down to her toes. She took a deep breath as she rolled over on to her side. She could smell him even more on the pillow. Leah squeezed her eyes shut, trying harder than she had ever tried before to fall asleep.

She finally sat up and got off the bed. She flicked the light switch, illuminating the room. She looked at her reflection in the mirror. She was pale, her hair was tangled, her eyes were red and swollen, and she looked malnourished. You look like one of them, she thought to herself, referring to one of the undead. She picked up her hairbrush to rid herself of the tangles in her black mane, but then put it down, deciding she no longer cared how she looked, and no longer had a reason to try to be pretty. She turned her light off and slipped out of her bedroom. The flat was dark, everyone was asleep. She crept past Merle, careful not to wake him, and eased the window next to the fire escape up.

She climbed through it, then climbed the short ladder up to the roof. She sat on the ledge overlooking the street, it was empty, except for a few abandoned cars here and there, just like in her dream. Trash littered the sidewalk and she watched as a flyer for a concert that never had a chance to be performed was swept up by the wind and blown away. She watched the flyer, it so easily flew through the air, twisting and turning like a little paper acrobat.

Daryl managed to find his way back to the city safely. Night had already fallen though, and he knew he needed to find somewhere to stay for the night. However, he was anxious to get back to Sal's. He needed to know that Leah was okay, he had to assure her that he was okay. He didn't know what lie Jules would have told her, but he was positive Jules wouldn't of told the truth. Speaking of Jules, he was going to kill him. He hadn't decided how, but he had imagined numerous scenarios, and the outcome of each was Jules dying. He turned the corner onto the street where Sal's was. As he got closer to Sal's, he seen a walker in the opposite direction, he loaded his crossbow and aimed.

Leah's eyes were stuck to the flyer, and she turned her head to watch as the flyer flew right into the face of a walker, ending it's flight. The walker didn't even seem to notice the litter. It just kept blindly walking forward. Leah didn't realize that she hadn't been paying attention to anything else until the walker fell down dead, an arrow sticking up out of it's forehead. She turned her head in the direction the arrow had come from and seen Daryl. She rubbed her eyes, thinking she was imagining things. Her lack of sleep had affected her brain, and that combined with her depression caused her to see things that weren't actually there. But Daryl was there. She got up and ran across the roof to the fire escape.

She ran back into the flat and threw the door open. Carelessly, she ran down the stairs and threw open the door to the outside right as Daryl appeared in the doorway. She smiled and started to embrace him, but as if he hadn't even noticed her, he started up the stairs, quickly. Leah was angry and hurt at him ignoring her, and she shut the door and started up the stairs after him. Before she could get to him to rant about him ignoring her, he had already thrown open the door to the room Sal and Jules were sharing. He yanked Jules from his bed by his collar and held him up off the floor. Pure anger was pouring from Daryl.
♠ ♠ ♠
It was a little weird having a whole chapter with no dialogue. I'll write another chapter some time today (and it will have dialogue.)