Status: Complete

Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse

Kick

"You really didn't say anything to her when you walked in?" Merle asked when Daryl sat back down on the couch next to him.

"I guess my thoughts were somewhere else, I didn't think about it. I was too angry."

Merle wasn't sure what to say so they sat in silence for awhile. "So...." he finally said after about ten minutes. "You're going to be a dad?"

Daryl looked shocked that Leah had told him about the pregnancy. "She told you?"

Merle nodded, "She was really depressed, and I was trying to cheer her up. She thought you were dead, and she thought she couldn't handle being a parent on her own."

Daryl was amazed by what his brother had done. Merle had never been caring towards anyone other than Daryl. He sat there staring at his brother in shock.

"What?" Merle asked, becoming irritated by how Daryl was looking at him.

"I'm just shocked that you were so kind to her."

Merle shrugged, "Don't worry about it, she's family now. That's what I told her, and, besides, how pissed would you be if you knew I blew her off in her time of need?"

"You got a point, I would be really mad, thank you. It means a lot to me to know that if something actually does happen to me, you'll be there for her."

Leah opened the door and stood there, listening to the conversation that passed between Merle and Daryl. No matter how hard she tried to be mad at him, she just couldn't be. Finally, she spoke, "Daryl..."

Daryl turned to face her, "Yes Leah?"

"Come here." Daryl got up and walked over to Leah. She pulled him inside the bedroom and shut the door. "I'm sorry," she told him.

"For what? I'm the one that should be sorry. I shouldn't have ignored you like I did."

"You're right. You shouldn't have, but I also shouldn't of been so mad at you. I was so scared and depressed when I thought I had lost you. I never want to feel that way again."

A tear started to roll down her cheek and Daryl reached up to wipe it away. His thumb gently brushed across her skin, smearing the moisture across her cheek. His hand rested on the side of her face as he said, "You won't. I promise."

"How can you be so sure?"

He shrugged, "I just am. Besides, we're supposed to not worry about the future until it gets here, remember?" Leah smiled and Daryl leaned down to kiss her. She smiled as his lips pressed against hers, and his other hand came to rest on the small of her back. She reached up and wrapped her arms around his neck, letting her fingers tangle in the hair at the back of his head. He pulled away long enough to stare into her mismatched eyes and whisper, "I love you."

"I love you too," she whispered back.

Daryl lifted her up in his arms and carried her over to the bed. He laid her down then laid down next to her on his side to look at her. His hand rested on her stomach, and they spent minutes silently staring at each other smiling. That was when Daryl felt his child move for the first time. He and Leah both grinned, "Was that the baby?" he asked, even though he knew it was.

Leah nodded.

"That was amazing."