Status: Complete

Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse

Frying Pan

Hunger is what woke Leah up the next morning. She rolled onto her side to see Daryl laying on his stomach, face down in his pillow. She lifted his head up to make sure he hadn't suffocated himself in the middle of the night. He was still breathing so she dropped his head back on the pillow and crawled out of bed. She opened the door and walked downstairs. Everyone else was still asleep except for Cole and Glenn, who had been on watch duty for the second half of the night. She walked into the kitchen and seen Cole sitting at the table, he was drinking one of the many beers Merle insisted that they keep stocked. She glanced around the room for Glenn, not entirely comfortable being alone in the same room as Cole, but Glenn wasn't there. "Where's Glenn?"

Cole looked up at her, his finger was tracing the rim of the open bottle. "Taking a shower before he goes back to bed."

She nodded a reply. She couldn't just turn around and walk back up stairs, and she hoped that with her threat from the week before hanging over his head, he wouldn't bother her too much. She walked over to the fridge and opened it. After rummaging around for a few minutes she found a plate that was covered with tin foil. It was their left over fish from the night before. She pulled it out and shut the door back, deciding that it would be good enough. She grabbed a frying pan from a cupboard and turned the stove on to warm the fish up, ignoring Cole the entire time.

Cole watched her silently. He still couldn't understand why she would want someone like Daryl, regardless of how long they had known each other. They were just so different. "Can I ask you something?"

She shrugged, "Sure."

"What is it about Daryl that makes you want him?"

"That's none of your business."

"Just humor me. With the exception of Merle, everyone here is considerably smarter than him, and it's not like he's the nicest guy here."

"Not once have you given him reason to be nice to you." Leah turned to face Cole, "and besides, I didn't fall in love with him because of his intellect. I fell in love with him because, despite how he acts on the outside, he's very caring and sweet. If it weren't for him, I'd be dead already."

He got up and slowly started walking towards her, "So he saves your life and you fuck him in return?"

"How dare you!" Leah was becoming outraged. She knew Cole was drunk, and probably wouldn't be talking to her like this if he were sober, but she also knew the alcohol would make him speak his mind.

"What? You and I both know he's nothing but a trailer park dog. Has made you his little trailer park bitch?"

Fueled solely by anger Leah picked the frying pan up off the stove and swung it through the air, hitting Cole across the face with it. There was a crack of bone and blood started to trickle from Cole's right ear. In a rage, Leah knocked him to the ground and started to punch him repeatedly in the face as hard as she could. Her fury blinded her to the blood that had started to seep down Cole's face. She didn't even notice the strong, muscular arm that wrapped around her waist and lifted her up. Her arms and legs still flailed through the air, searching for a target.