Status: Complete

Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse

Death

Daryl heard a loud noise that woke him up. He sat up and seen that Leah was gone. Worried, he jumped out of bed and ran downstairs. Glenn was following close behind, his hair wet and only wearing a pair of pajama pants. When he got to the kitchen he was shocked by the sight he seen. Leah sitting on top of Cole, punching him over and over in the face, and Cole wasn't even bothering to fight back. Lori and Rick ran up behind him just seconds later. "Do something," Lori urged, snapping Daryl out of his trance. He walked over to Leah and wrapped his arm around her waist, carefully picking her up. Her arms and legs flailed through the air, she hadn't noticed him pick her up, nor did she notice the other three people standing in the room.

She was blinded by the rage, and didn't realize she had been picked up. She fought Daryl as he attempted to restrain her so she wouldn't hurt herself or anyone else. Rick bent down next to Cole to see if he was still breathing, then he placed two fingers on his neck to see if there was a pulse. "Well...?" Glenn asked. Even though his question was unfinished, Rick knew what he was asking.

Rick solemnly shook his head. He looked at the frying pan in the floor and knew that Leah had knocked Cole out with it, there was a small puddle of blood on the tiled floor, his head hitting it had probably been the death blow. All Leah's barrage of punches had done was make his face unrecognizable. "He's....he's dead."

Dead. That was the only word Leah heard. She stopped kicking. She stopped swinging her arms. And she stopped trying to bite Daryl's hands in an attempt to get him to release her. She stared blankly at the corpse lying in the floor. She had done that. She had caused someone to die. Daryl ran his hand through her hair and squeezed her shoulder in an attempt to calm her. She squeezed her eyes shut, she had never meant to kill him. When she reopened her eyes she looked over at Lori, Rick, and Glenn. Lori and Glenn were staring at the corpse, Rick was staring at her. She couldn't tell what he was feeling towards her, and she didn't want to know what he was thinking. She pulled away from Daryl and ran upstairs. She slammed the bedroom door shut and locked it. She sat down on the bed, her back against the headboard, and pulled her knees to her chest. She wrapped her arms around her legs, and silently started to cry. She wasn't sad that Cole was dead. She was sad that she had killed someone.

She had always been taught that murder was wrong, no matter what the reason was. That it wasn't her place to decide whether someone lived or died, but God's. And now, she was a murderer.

"We should probably do something about his body," Daryl said, staring at the corpse in disgust.

Rick nodded his head, "Yeah, I guess, maybe we should bury him."

"Well, shouldn't we wait for the others?" Glenn asked.

Lori shook her head, "No, it'll be better to get him out of here before the kids see."

They found a couple of shovels in the garage and took turns digging a grave for Cole. They dug it up near the road so there'd be less chance of the water eventually uncovering him. After the grave had been dug, Daryl and Rick rolled his body into it and they filled the grave with sand.

They walked back inside, no one else had gotten up yet, and if they had, they were still upstairs. "I should go check on Leah," Daryl said, looking at the stairs. "Make sure she's okay."

The other three nodded and he climbed up the stairs to the bedroom. He jiggled the handle, but it proved fruitless, the door was locked. He knocked on it, "Leah, it's Daryl, let me in."